PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remove TCU, can't pull back carpet enough...

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 06:18
Any tips on removal of the TCU? I could touch it, and look at it, but the carpet would only give a few inches to work with. With one person holding the carpet up and myself trying to remove the TCU no luck.

Is there something Im missing on this?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

snoopra
February 16th, 2010, 06:37
Did you push the seat all the way back and up? Did you remove the door sill molding?

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 06:40
Yes and yes. I could only get the carpet to give about three inches of wiggle room. Carpet just seemed very thick and stiff with the built in insulation.

I was able to see a silver clip like thing in the plastic box in which the TCU is stored, but had so little room couldn't do anything with it.

terrytcl
February 16th, 2010, 15:16
it takes a lot of force to get the car up

it'll be worse if your car had a previous water drainage problem, which will cause the foam insulation to stick to the body. that happened to my old c5 4.2

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 18:49
Insulation not sticky, just very stiff.

How do I go about removing the TCU from the black box?

Thanks

terrytcl
February 16th, 2010, 20:31
just push the tabs in and the top hinges open.

no tools necessary

p3u
February 16th, 2010, 20:55
just push the tabs in and the top hinges open.

no tools necessary

I got the black box open to reveal the TCU, but couldn't remove the TCU from the black box itself. What is holding it in place still? :vhmmm:

terrytcl
February 16th, 2010, 21:06
if i remember, it's just in there with some clips holding it onto the black plastic case. it should pop up and out.

Avus-RS6
February 16th, 2010, 23:10
Pull harder on the carpet, and the TCU is just in there with friction clips IIRC. You might need to remove not only the sill trim, but the piece in front of that too (from what I recall)

arS6
February 17th, 2010, 00:41
You might need to remove not only the sill trim, but the piece in front of that too (from what I recall)

I agree. I think if you remove the plastic piece in front of the sill trim, you can pull the carpet up even more. This is how I removed my onstar module.

paul_23
February 18th, 2010, 06:32
Yes, inside the black plastic box the TCU is retained by 2 black screws that are posidrive. You need to feed the wiring loom out so you can pull the TCU out from under the carpet and there is enough slack to get it totally clear so you get a good view inside the black box.

Amulet-S6
February 18th, 2010, 15:06
Push a 2x4 in flat-wise then turn it up on edge. If you have HUGE hands and need more room, torque up using the door sill as your fulcrum. I'm not at all good with this stuff, but it was quite easy once the tabs and screws were released.

Jim

p3u
February 19th, 2010, 04:19
Got it free! haha, second time around it came out like cake.

Thanks everyone!