PDA

View Full Version : RS6 in Winter

wik
December 4th, 2002, 16:00
I am number two at my dealership for one of its three RS6 sedans next spring/summer. I have owned several Audis previously, and respect them as winter cars. However, I am sure that whatever tires are installed on RS6 will be pure summer tires, and I would have to use my car at least occasionally in winter months here in the north central plains. We average 30 inches of snow a year. Given the fact that these cars will have some serious brake enhancements compared to an A6, what size winter wheel/tire combination will be best? I'm not aware of pure winter tires available in a nineteen (or even eighteen) inch size, and I don't think seventeens will fit over the brakes. Is the consensus to just go with an 18" all season tire, and take your chances? Thanks in advance for the advice. It makes little sense to me to own a Quattro equipped vehicle and have to park it all winter due to winter tire sizing issues.

Nrn
December 4th, 2002, 16:18
I should go for 18" if 17" doesnt fit!
But I would definately not go for all season tires, to be honest I think they are crap!

Go for a set of real winter tires but dont buy them to wide! 215 or 225 will probably be enough, the wider they are the less grip you get! And you will probably need that grip despite of the quattro when you have 450bhp :D

Kind Regards /Niklas

Erik
December 4th, 2002, 16:43
That's like 75 cm of snow! :bigeyes:

225/40/18 goes for the RS4.

For the RS6 I guess 235/40/18 after speaking to my tyre supplier. (RS6 is too new for him to be sure)

These would be available från Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop and I guess the (in US) infamous Bridgestone.

I take pride in having a quattro during winter, can there be more fun than to leave eferybody long long behind at the redlights just as if snow and ice didn't exist?

I run 17" studded winter tyres (with A6 2.7TQ) :D

Dave
December 4th, 2002, 17:23
I think that I did read somewhere that Audi will produce a 17" winter rim for studded tyres.. or even chains.. maybe ask your dealer

Cheers
Dave

Erik
December 4th, 2002, 17:28
And how do you fit the 17" over the brakes? :confused:

18" studded tyres don't exist today, but I guess they will come with time. Studded tyres better for braking on ice, but friction tyres are ok for most driving.

Dave
December 4th, 2002, 17:33
Erik,

not sure.. I think you may have to buy the Audi rims.. sure I read it in my manual.. it's for use with chains as you musn't use the 18" with chains (else you'll damage the body work)

will check tonight when I get home
Dave

gnomik007
December 4th, 2002, 17:55
As far as I know, winter tires are to be 225/45 R18 Dunlop winter sport M3,at least it is what an Audi dealers in Moscow say. However,I have been hunting for them for the last two weeks and found only two out of four neeeded.Please help:confused:
advise me on where to order these tires from in Europe:bye:

TheBrit
December 4th, 2002, 19:16
Originally posted by Dave
I think that I did read somewhere that Audi will produce a 17" winter rim for studded tyres.. or even chains..
I seem to remember a set of wheels designed for snow chains is available as an option, I think it's mentioned in the hardback RS6 brochure.

Dave
December 4th, 2002, 22:17
Yes, my mistake.. the winter tyres are :
7.5J X 18 'five arm' design alloy wheels with 225/45 R18 tyres. compatable with snow chains.

can be ordered as an optional extra.

Dave

Rhaps
December 5th, 2002, 01:44
Originally posted by Erik B

I take pride in having a quattro during winter, can there be more fun than to leave eferybody long long behind at the redlights just as if snow and ice didn't exist?

I run 17" studded winter tyres (with A6 2.7TQ) :D

It's more fun to come up hills in high speed and overtake the car in front of you, :byeM5: then just disappear in a dust of snow :bye:

IMO at least

Rhaps
-- A6 2,6 Quattro