PDA

View Full Version : Front end Clicking

Rgarza
February 12th, 2010, 00:12
I am getting a clicking sound from the front end of my RS6 when I have the wheels turned all the way to either side and backing out of a parking spot. I had the dealer look at it and they want to take the car apart to look for the problem. They said it could just be the brake pads.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks,
RG
:addict:

MaxRS6
February 12th, 2010, 00:16
CV boots/joints possibly

See this thread

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19302&highlight=clicking

Welcome to the forum! You will also find the search feature is very helpful.

ben916
February 12th, 2010, 00:18
clicking or grinding?
Just backing out?

If clicking, are you having someone look/listen when backing out?
This might help diagnose...

or control arm... like the thread suggests...

V8weight
February 12th, 2010, 00:29
CV boots/joints possibly

See this thread

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19302&highlight=clicking

Welcome to the forum! You will also find the search feature is very helpful.
Yep, the symptoms point to a bad CV joint.

Rgarza
February 12th, 2010, 00:38
I had the DRC repair in September and the CV joints got a clean bill of health. Just replace 2 boots. The car only has 32,000 miles. It is possible the CV are toast?

Thank you.

RG

Hy Octane
February 12th, 2010, 01:37
Have them check the steering rack for loose bolts.

SAF
February 12th, 2010, 02:46

X2 ^^Post "recent DRC repair disclosure" diagnosis. ^^

LIRS6
February 12th, 2010, 02:54

Agree with Hy Octane - I had similar clicking, brought it to the dealer and a tech jumped in and heard it in the first 2 feet of moving the car (with wheels turned). They found some loose bolts and re-torqued them .. voila, no more clicking since. Oh, and they didn't charge me, either.

So before your dealer starts "to take the car apart to look for the problem," have them check the rack.

Good luck

shoeboxjoe
February 12th, 2010, 03:42
If the boots needed to be replaced there's a good chance the CV joints could be shot. They are relatively easy to replace yourself if you're more of a DIY person. They went on my A6 around 85k miles, same symptoms, cv boots were ripped and the clicking under hard turns. Eventually the clicking got worse and worse until i got around to replacing them :mech:

hahnmgh63
February 12th, 2010, 05:02
Rgarza you didn't mention the mileage on the car. If it is less than 70~80K I would say it is the control arm bushsings in the front. More than that and either CV's or Control Arm bushings.

DHall1
February 12th, 2010, 05:15
32k.

Check the rack mounts first.

I had the DRC repair in September and the CV joints got a clean bill of health. Just replace 2 boots. The car only has 32,000 miles. It is possible the CV are toast?

Thank you.

RG

shoeboxjoe
February 12th, 2010, 15:35
Yea sorry, with 32k I would think the CV joints are ok. However if the boots had a tear in them for some time there is always the possibility the joint could have dried out. Is replacing the CV boots part of recommended service at that mileage? Or were they replaced because they were ripped? Either way I'm curious what the cause of the clicking is.

SAFE4NOW
February 12th, 2010, 17:18
Question: Rotational clicking or single " click " as your make the turn backing out?

S

mmaturo
February 12th, 2010, 17:39
Question: Rotational clicking or single " click " as your make the turn backing out?

S

I'll be awaiting this answer as well as i think i can analyze every sound the front end of an RS6 makes as I have had every problem mentioned and they each make unique noises. I'm betting CV joint on this one if rotational clicking. Single 'pop' or clunk or a shuddering clunking is control arm, link, or stabilizer bushing (and can also be caused by these being improperly tightened down, such as when taking half the car apart).

skribe
February 12th, 2010, 18:08
CV joints. Usually by the time you notice a tear, it's too late. Even a small tear lets in moisture which compromises the grease and causes it to break down and fail. A bigger tear and you get all kinds of contaminants in there and it's over pretty quickly.

You should get 100k+ out of CV's, even on a car like the RS6, unless you routinely do something dumb like try to accelerate hard in the middle of a corner.

Another reason to do your own oil changes - inspect your CV boots while you're down there.

RXBG
February 12th, 2010, 18:08
could be- rotors or CV joints or the boots .

vangelis
February 12th, 2010, 20:43
I have the same problem guys, I feel little bit of vibration whenever i turn the wheels all the way left or right!! i was plannig to drop it to dealer sometime soon. I don't hear clicks, i feel little vibration. Anyone have idea what could be the reason?

mmaturo
February 12th, 2010, 20:54
I have the same problem guys, I feel little bit of vibration whenever i turn the wheels all the way left or right!! i was plannig to drop it to dealer sometime soon. I don't hear clicks, i feel little vibration. Anyone have idea what could be the reason?

Well as i said if you describe it well i may have an answer. One of two things...i thought maybe my steering fluid was low (as occurred when it first got cold out originally)...first couple of times yes...last time however it was not...your steering pump may be giving up on life slowly. It has the same net effect as low fluid. Mine made it to 72K.

skribe
February 12th, 2010, 20:59

Now that sounds like a loose rack or bad c-arm bushings. CVs are almost always noisy when they fail.

vangelis
February 12th, 2010, 21:43
Now that sounds like a loose rack or bad c-arm bushings. CVs are almost always noisy when they fail.

I just fixed 2 new CVs and all bushings also are new!

Rgarza
February 15th, 2010, 15:07
Thank you all for your input. I will start with the Rack and go from their.
I'll post the results once it is fixed.

Rgarza

PS : I drove the R8 V10 yesterday. Nice. :R8kiss: