PDA

View Full Version : Thule on RS6...

Mudguts
February 11th, 2010, 13:23
Hi,

I did a search for ski racks on the RS6 and came up empty..

Anyone run a Thule for trip to the ski hill?

What's the best solution for transporting ski's, boards, etc...

Cheers,
Matt

JRS-RS6
February 11th, 2010, 15:07
Hi,

I did a search for ski racks on the RS6 and came up empty..

Anyone run a Thule for trip to the ski hill?

Cheers,
Matt

My car has the fold down in the center of the back seats with a built in ski bag -- don't think I would use it though. Have you checked the middle of the back seats?

roadrunner
February 11th, 2010, 15:26

Cheers,
Matt

For ski's & boards only: Thule Spirit (not as high as Atlantis)
For the above + gear: Thule Atlantis. Got the 900. Very spacious.

Cheers
seb.

bruce
February 11th, 2010, 21:40

Best Solution is DON'T.

Rent them. For as often as most people use their ski's and boards, renting is probably cheaper in the long haul AND you always get the latest stuff AND you don't have to haul it around AND it is always set up properly AND you can try different brands and styles. I've done this for the last 10 years and love it.

Let's see "today I think I'll ski moguls" I go in and get the best mogul ski for the day and it's shorter than normal. Tomorrow the fresh powder, swap ski's, longer and cruisers.... Volkl, Salomon, Rossi, whatever I fancy. I've had some of the best days skiing moguls EVER this way...

I've done this for about 10 years and never looked back. I do have my own boots, however.... just because.

Just my .02

SAF
February 11th, 2010, 22:32
2nd the ski storage pouch through center of back seats. Roof pod or rack on Avant - yes, on the sedan - never.

DHall1
February 13th, 2010, 03:23
I think the sedan has notches in the roof rail.

Has anyone mounted racks in those notches

s42ski
February 13th, 2010, 04:11
This was a few years ago in Mammoth mountain in CA. Snowball fight with the kids. Now we have a SUV for this trip as they ( and all of there equipment) got too big for the beast for the 5 hour drive. But what a great snow car with winter tires!! I drove out of the parking lot you see and had no problems. Some of the mega SUV's could not get out without being pushed.

Bruce - I would beg to differ on your rental story - I have had crap out of rentals many times and I rent demo skis only. Many times they are not tuned worth a damn. I buy my skis and tune them myself - same reason I work on my car.

DHall1
February 13th, 2010, 04:22
Nice pic.

We stopped in this fall on the way to Yosemite. Lots of fun.

Another owner that picks up his own wrenches. You missed our timing belt party last month..

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/IMG_2795.jpg?t=1266033977

This was a few years ago in Mammoth mountain in CA. Snowball fight with the kids. Now we have a SUV for this trip as they ( and all of there equipment) got too big for the beast for the 5 hour drive. But what a great snow car with winter tires!! I drove out of the parking lot you see and had no problems. Some of the mega SUV's could not get out without being pushed.

Bruce - I would beg to differ on your rental story - I have had crap out of rentals many times and I rent demo skis only. Many times they are not tuned worth a damn. I buy my skis and tune them myself - same reason I work on my car.

s42ski
February 13th, 2010, 15:24
Would have been a part of that party for sure :mech:, but I had the timing belt done at the dealer when the thermostat went south. I thought I was being smart by having them do the timing belt at the same time since the front of the car needed to come off anyways - of course the stealer got me for $1700 worth of parts:vgrumpy: so I thought I was saving some money at the time.

DHall1
February 13th, 2010, 15:27
I was going to "wait" for such an event and run it thru Fidelity as well.

But as you said. The markup on parts is a killer and I wanted to be the one taking apart the virgin 30k service and inspecting everything myself.

Plus the genuine Audi parts cost me 700 for the whole shooting match....plugs, pulleys, belts, thermo, ffilter.

Would have been a part of that party for sure :mech:, but I had the timing belt done at the dealer when the thermostat went south. I thought I was being smart by having them do the timing belt at the same time since the front of the car needed to come off anyways - of course the stealer got me for $1700 worth of parts:vgrumpy: so I thought I was saving some money at the time.

bruce
February 13th, 2010, 23:26

maybe I wasn't clear. I ONLY rent high end Demos. For instance I rented a high end Volkl that retails for $900 w/o bindings and then some top of the line Solomans last trip. Two days $110. I don't go as often as I used to, maybe 10x per year. Last time i went to Heavenly with a friend who was on brand new skis he bought and he was stressing over rocks and I just kept right on rolling....no worries.

DHall1
February 13th, 2010, 23:50
Start rolling out to the garage and mount those wheels.

j/k

Hope your feeling better.

bruce
February 14th, 2010, 03:38
Start rolling out to the garage and mount those wheels.

j/k

Hope your feeling better.

I typed that while waiting for a drug prescription :vgrumpy:

BUT I did mount up.