PDA

View Full Version : Manual Conversion - Official Development Thread

650RS
February 9th, 2010, 01:52
Due to the interest in this topic I have decided to start a new thread purely for the purpose to share useable information on the parts, materials and process needed to convert the RS6 to 6 speed manual.

uncfrk has been kind enough to offer his services based on a minum quantity of adapter plates which he can tell us about.

I would also kindly request that anyone who has already undertaken this project to put in as much info as they have as this is not a money making exercise and people trying to say this cannot be done as a deterant will be fround upon.

With regards to the parts needed below is a short list which can be updated as it comes to hand:

- Adapter plate
- Flywheel
- Clutch (varying specifications based on torque)
- Master and slave cylinder
- Driveshafts
- Gearbox (which is the best option and why)
- Interior peices
- Software (my tuner can assist with this once each conversion is complete)

I hope this takes off as it's a shame that the performance of our cars is limited to a transmission which cannot be built to hold the torque.

:addict: :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict:

TozoM8
February 9th, 2010, 02:40
This is what I wold do..
- Adapter plate = 3/4" thick. It will convert the bolt pattern and give enough room for the original flex plate with the ring gear.
- Flywheel = I like the dual mass because it protects the trans input shaft, but less clutch options.
- Clutch (varying specifications based on torque) = the more aggressive you go the harder to drive daily.
- Master and slave cylinder = buy them out of an A6 direct bolt on and the brake reservoir has a fluid nipple on the side already.
- Drive-shafts = The 01E is shorter than the auto trans so you need to have an axle shop extend yours.
- Gearbox (which is the best option and why) = get a euro spec TDI 01E. You will love the gearing designed for torque and it will run quiet and somewhat fuel efficient in 6th gear.
- Interior pieces = get the shifter linkage, shifter, clutch pedal from an A6.
- Software (my tuner can assist with this once each conversion is complete)

Erik
February 9th, 2010, 08:19
650RS, I will keep my eyes on this highly interesting topic.

Not a mod for everyone, but having seen what the MTM RS6 Clubsport could do I'm for sure interested.

At this moment I only have one wish - please give us some pictures! :D

SteveKen
February 9th, 2010, 15:06
Here is my logic for the design work I've done thus far.

Basically, I'm trying to make the kit as simple as possible and retain as many un-molested OEM parts.

The adapter plate will be no thicker than the OEM plate (11mm). This will allow the manual trans A6 prop shaft to be used and the shifter will be in the stock location, etc. A very clean install in my opinion.

To do this will require only two custom items: the adapter and wiring harnesses. After some thought, I think I can integrate the starter bracket into the adapter. If not, then there will be three custom items: The trans adapter and the starter adapter and the wiring.

The only non OEM off the shelf items will be the starter and the clutch. I've consulted with an engineer at Tilton Racing, and they make a starter that I plan to use and it's $400. Yikes.

OEM items:

01E Transmission
UrS6+ flywheel (could also go custom here)
A6 2.7T MT slave cylinder and plumbing
A6 2.7T MT reverse switch (custom wiring to tie into harness)
A6 2.7T MT speed sensor
A6 2.7T MT brackets
A6 2.7T MT prop shaft
A6 2.7T MT front axles
A6 2.7T MTShifter mechanisms
A6 2.7T MTclutch pedal and related hardware
A6 2.7T MT clutch switch (custom wiring to tie into harness)
A6 2.7T MT neutral safety switch (custom wiring to tie into harness)
A6 2.7T MT Shifter surround

I'll have a better idea on the ECU side once I get my 6 spd S6 back into my garage from the paint shop. It could be very simple, or not so simple. I'll see. No codes, an cruise control should work and de-activate when clutch pedal is pressed, etc.

For an extra clean install, I plan on removing all the auto trans wiring which should save some pounds, as well.

The only thing holding me back is that I don't have an RS6. I've only got an RS6 motor.

Lastly, I'm thinking that all the above listed items are northwards of $10k if you include a properly spec'd transmission. Does anyone think this is now worth it?

Also, I'd be willing to sell just the adapters. What is it worth?

SteveKen
February 9th, 2010, 15:38
I should also mention that there will be a defunct loop in the radiator that was used for the slushbox trans cooling on my S6 and if I'm not mistaken, an external cooler in addition to the radiator loop on the RS6.

This could be used for cooling the 01E with some more customization. I think that there are some stock parts from the US Allroad that could be utilized maybe?

Maybe the extra core in the radiator could be plumbed for additional engine cooling, too? I've heard that the RS6 always could use extra engine cooling?

TozoM8
February 9th, 2010, 17:58
I am not sure if the RS6 has a 4.111 rear end. I am also not sure if the A6 2.7T has a short rear end or it is the same as the S4. There is no cooling required for the manual tranny specially not from the coolant radiator. It would heat up the tranny not cool it. Does anyone know the rear end ratio on the RS6?

cmore
February 9th, 2010, 18:08
Did anyone think about contacting the old Champion Racing team who ran the RS6 in the Speed World Challenge? They ran the S4 6-speed transmission and created a custom bell housing that meshed the 4.2TT to the manual transmission.

A friend of mine was one of the lead engineers on the team and I could talk to him if anyone is interested.

Chris

JRS-RS6
February 9th, 2010, 21:28
I am not sure if the RS6 has a 4.111 rear end. I am also not sure if the A6 2.7T has a short rear end or it is the same as the S4. There is no cooling required for the manual tranny specially not from the coolant radiator. It would heat up the tranny not cool it. Does anyone know the rear end ratio on the RS6?

I believe it is 3.197:1

See: http://www.audiworld.com/model/rs6/03/03rs6.pdf page 6 of 7.

TozoM8
February 9th, 2010, 21:34
The 3.197 x 1 tells me that it has a 3.7 x 1 rear end. It means you need to get a S8 or S6 rear end to match the 01E final drive.

uncfrk
February 9th, 2010, 23:31
Here is my logic for the design work I've done thus far.

Basically, I'm trying to make the kit as simple as possible and retain as many un-molested OEM parts.

The adapter plate will be no thicker than the OEM plate (11mm). This will allow the manual trans A6 prop shaft to be used and the shifter will be in the stock location, etc. A very clean install in my opinion.

To do this will require only two custom items: the adapter and wiring harnesses. After some thought, I think I can integrate the starter bracket into the adapter. If not, then there will be three custom items: The trans adapter and the starter adapter and the wiring.

The only non OEM off the shelf items will be the starter and the clutch. I've consulted with an engineer at Tilton Racing, and they make a starter that I plan to use and it's $400. Yikes.

OEM items:

01E Transmission
UrS6+ flywheel (could also go custom here)
A6 2.7T MT slave cylinder and plumbing
A6 2.7T MT reverse switch (custom wiring to tie into harness)
A6 2.7T MT speed sensor
A6 2.7T MT brackets
A6 2.7T MT prop shaft
A6 2.7T MT front axles
A6 2.7T MTShifter mechanisms
A6 2.7T MTclutch pedal and related hardware
A6 2.7T MT clutch switch (custom wiring to tie into harness)
A6 2.7T MT neutral safety switch (custom wiring to tie into harness)
A6 2.7T MT Shifter surround

I'll have a better idea on the ECU side once I get my 6 spd S6 back into my garage from the paint shop. It could be very simple, or not so simple. I'll see. No codes, an cruise control should work and de-activate when clutch pedal is pressed, etc.

For an extra clean install, I plan on removing all the auto trans wiring which should save some pounds, as well.

The only thing holding me back is that I don't have an RS6. I've only got an RS6 motor.

Lastly, I'm thinking that all the above listed items are northwards of $10k if you include a properly spec'd transmission. Does anyone think this is now worth it?

Also, I'd be willing to sell just the adapters. What is it worth?

I think anyone that is due for a transmission rebuild & torque converter would go for the conversion. Especially if it's their 2nd or third time.

SteveKen
February 9th, 2010, 23:43
I think anyone that is due for a transmission rebuild & torque converter would go for the conversion. Especially if it's there 2nd or third time.

. . . especially if it's out of warranty.

I'd love to find a trusting individual with the necessary coins to hire me.

Benman
February 10th, 2010, 00:05
Did anyone think about contacting the old Champion Racing team who ran the RS6 in the Speed World Challenge? They ran the S4 6-speed transmission and created a custom bell housing that meshed the 4.2TT to the manual transmission.

A friend of mine was one of the lead engineers on the team and I could talk to him if anyone is interested.

Chris

This is a good suggestion. They have more experience with this than anyone, and IMHO, that includes MTM. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

eurotunedrs6
February 10th, 2010, 00:30
I would agree to that. Any info is good info at this point.

650RS
February 10th, 2010, 01:17

Chris

Chris,

I for one would certainly appreciate any input that Champion would be willing to provide on the subject.

Some picutres would be a bonus.....

LIRS6
February 12th, 2010, 22:12
http://forums.quattroworld.com/rs6/msgs/1182.phtml

JRS-RS6
February 12th, 2010, 23:20
Chris,

I for one would certainly appreciate any input that Champion would be willing to provide on the subject.

Some picutres would be a bonus.....

Anything from Champion on their 6-speed?