PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, very interesting

RS6-4dr911
February 5th, 2010, 06:19
I had heard of urban legend that when you take the Revo test drive (roughly 4 hrs and then it reverts back to "stock") that "stock" was a little, shall we say off. All the better to compare and contrast how good the Revo mapping was, so the story went. Last May I tried this trial period, really couldn't tell a huge difference, so I let it expire without purchasing the full flash.

Didn't give it much credence. Was speaking with a tuner, he mentioned this urban legend (without me mentioning it). He was kind enough to have the latest version of the stock ECU software and offered to reflash it just to make sure I had the proper baseline in troubleshooting my off the line issues. He confirmed prior to doing so that the ECU still had non-OEM software, i.e., Revo's version of "stock" after the trial period expired.

Ran some logs that morning, got flashed back to stock, ran some more a few days later. That was the only difference between the logs. Immediately after the reflash, the car felt snappier. The attached logs, in my opinion, show that the Revo version of stock is in fact different. The actual boost is somewhat less conclusive but the specified boost, which is really what the ECU controls, clearly comes on later than OEM. It does appear to be a smoother curve for some reason, but the onset of boost request appears definitely later than OEM. I'll leave it to the reader to decide why this discrepancy might exist. Discuss.

EDIT: Oh, and in hindsight, it also looks like the peak requested boost is higher with OEM as well.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz356/blatham489/ActBoost-OEMvRevo.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz356/blatham489/SpecBoost-OEMvRevo.jpg

DHall1
February 5th, 2010, 06:27
Lost my edit...here it goes again...

Clarify these points

OEM1(is this the stock revert from Revo?)
OEM2
Revo1
Revo2

Does not make sense that Revo boost levels are not touched. Not good.

I gave Scott specific questions to ask Jerry. It sounds good so far. Scott has data and says the car is good.

Not looking good for Revo. Keep up the good work.

Were you with SAF today?

RS6-4dr911
February 5th, 2010, 06:30
Affirmative. He's looking hard at the LET tune, I plan to watch and see what his results are. Jerry's the one that reflashed it, talks a good game, Scott's neighbor seems to vouch for his service and support and the guy says he's trying to move down here, so that's a plus having local talent to troubleshoot the inevitable issues.

OEM is just that, OEM software, Revo is the "stock" version of Revo AFTER the trial expired. So boost is not expected to be higher than stock, but it sure as hell shouldn't be lower.
1 and 2 are just different runs of the same configuration.

mmaturo
February 5th, 2010, 06:52
Interesting....i did the 5 hour thing 4 years ago...the tune made a huge difference at highway speed when car was already at higher RPMs and into the boost...at the time i felt like it was just too much...flying along at 150 when you were just doing 70 you tend to catch that car in front of you say two miles ahead really fast...but I didn't feel it as much around town... i can't say i feel like my car was ever less responsive or different after...certainly not now. I am curious though...i have no idea if in the rebuilds my car has had and the over-boost issues if my car would have ever been 'reset'. May have to ask for it the next time it goes to the dealer (what the hell would they charge for that?).

DHall1
February 5th, 2010, 07:00
Ok, got it. Let me look those over again.

Well the increased "asked for" boost in the OEM flash would account for the early spike in actual boost from the OEM flash. Wastegate duty cycles would have been maxed out early to build boost asap.

From there on they are very close.

Affirmative. He's looking hard at the LET tune, I plan to watch and see what his results are. Jerry's the one that reflashed it, talks a good game, Scott's neighbor seems to vouch for his service and support and the guy says he's trying to move down here, so that's a plus having local talent to troubleshoot the inevitable issues.

OEM is just that, OEM software, Revo is the "stock" version of Revo AFTER the trial expired. So boost is not expected to be higher than stock, but it sure as hell shouldn't be lower.
1 and 2 are just different runs of the same configuration.

ben916
February 5th, 2010, 07:07
Interesting to get another point of view as, well, not to completely volunteer someone (audi5000cstq, John)... He had the 5hr(?) Revo and was either expired or very close to being expired.

It would excellent data to compare the return to "stock" and then a reflash to OEM stock...

(OK, I will call him tomorrow to encourage him to look at the forum...)

Shoppinit
February 5th, 2010, 08:53
Interesting that the stock boost curves are much more consistent than the revo ones. Could it be that the revo tune is taking something else into account that the OEM program isn't?

Doesn't change the fact that 'revo stock' map doesn't seem to be the same as stock ecu.

If I were a paranoid, suspicious person, I might suspect some kind of sinister reason. Luckily I'm not, so I don't.