PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thread: Defective AIr Intake Temp Sensor?

snoopra
January 29th, 2010, 11:25
Short and Sweet.
Did a scan yesterday morning. Went to the advanced Blocks (Thanks RS6-4dr911 for the reminder to look) and found a reading of 116 F on the air intake temp sensor!!!!! WTF!!!! Outside temp was 71F, car had been on for no more than 5 minutes. I'm gonna check the ohms readings on it to see if it's dead. No codes showed up for this by the way. So what you guys think, defective air intake sensor? Power seems down a bit, but remember my TC is shot.
Thanks in Advance

RS6-4dr911
January 29th, 2010, 14:00
I don't think that sensor is reading outside air, it's the temp at the throttle body, I THINK that's correct location.

As such, it sounds right, 5 minutes of idle should easily be able to heat up the turbos enough to pick up 30-40 degrees from ambient as the air passes through them at slow idle velocity. Pure speculation on my part though.

snoopra
January 30th, 2010, 07:24
I'm aware of where the sensor gets it's reading, just seems high. Remember, from the turbos the air flows through the intercoolers before hitting the sensor.

RS6-4dr911
January 30th, 2010, 10:32
I'm aware of where the sensor gets it's reading, just seems high. Remember, from the turbos the air flows through the intercoolers before hitting the sensor.

You said you were idling after just a few minutes, if true, the IC's would have zero impact as you're not making any boost, so no heat gain from compression.

Shoppinit
February 2nd, 2010, 11:33
Also if you're stationary, yu're not getting any cooling flow over the IC. IIRC mine runs about 50°c air intake temperature when the engine is warmed up and idling.