PDA

View Full Version : Planing A Car Project

GEN XER
January 28th, 2010, 05:29
I am planing to turbo charge my GTI VR6 12V. I am aiming for 375-400bhp. I've seen this done quite easily. When it starts I will post the build here. I know this is RS6.com, but most of us here are just plan car guys and I don't hang out on VW sites. Things should get started within the next 60 days. HB Motorwerks will be doing the work. This car when done will give even my RS6 a run for its money. We are going to take both cars to H20 in September. :race:

MaxRS6
January 28th, 2010, 06:00
Look forward to the updates!

DHall1
February 13th, 2010, 15:17
Willie,

What is the news here? Have you started?

GEN XER
February 13th, 2010, 21:20
[QUOT
E=DHall1;183214]Willie,

What is the news here? Have you started?[/QUOTE]

Not yet Dave but I want it done before May so I'm working on all the pricing and what to buy. I really should find something better to do with over 10K dollars though.

V8weight
February 13th, 2010, 21:31
I really should find something better to do with over 10K dollars though.
Yes, you owe that money to the less fortunate/ ambitious.

DHall1
February 13th, 2010, 23:52
10k.

ouch...

ttboost
February 14th, 2010, 00:23
$10K??? Holy crap. Everything gold plated?

AndyBG
February 14th, 2010, 02:12
I just LOVE VR6 engine...! So, your project is ''approved'' by me! :D Golf VR6 (bi) turbo :revs:

GEN XER
February 14th, 2010, 07:57

Well that would be me. I'm less fortunate than someone, right?

10k.

ouch...

I know, when I post the list of parts you will see why.

GEN XER
February 14th, 2010, 08:12
$10K??? Holy crap. Everything gold plated?

No, but this stuff is not cheap. This is a N/A motor which can take a lot of boost, but a lot of the engine internals have to be replace or you will wish you did. I am going to run 16-18psi of boost so I might be able to save the pistons and piston rods. The issue then is do I trust piston and rods with 140K miles on them to hold up.

I just LOVE VR6 engine...! So, your project is ''approved'' by me! :D Golf VR6 (bi) turbo :revs:

Yes these are very nice motors. They can take up to 30psi of boost with the right internals and fueling.

GEN XER
February 14th, 2010, 08:45
Parts List
Turbo's: T3/ T4 $900.....GT Series $1200
Turbo Piping: $600
Fueling: C2 Motorsports $1000
Intercooler & Piping: Mishimoto $900
Down Pipe: $150
Waste Gate & Diverter Valve: $550
Intake Manifold: Custom HB Motorwerks $500
Exhaust Manifold: ATP $350
Head Bolts: $200
Main Bolts & Bearings: $160
Rod Bolts & Bearings: $320
Fuel Pump: $160
Gauges & Pods: $600
Head Gasket: $200
Ceramic: Hot Parts $800

Labor: 2-3K

DHall1
February 14th, 2010, 16:42
Willie,

Get the Eurocharge ECU flash on the RS6. You will forget all about the turbo upgrade on the VW and keep 9500 dollars in your pocket.

Its just crazy.

s42ski
February 14th, 2010, 17:01
Willie, my two cents. I would add some more money to your list - you will want a new clutch and flywheel - Centerforce or the like to get the power out, also I would guess you will need a custom radiator to keep things from cooking, add some larger electric fans as well. Are you keeping the stock exhaust ? - you may need to replace or gut the cats as they may overheat with all of the new flow going through them.

My old ride was a 280Z with an after market turbo ( 20 psi boost max) - all of these items I added were required.

This type of project is like home improvement - set a budget and add 50% to 100% for the gotcha's.

Good luck !

DHall1
February 14th, 2010, 17:06
^^ what he said.

Fluidyne gets my money before I even bolt on the larger turbo. Lemme go take some pics of the Supra again.

Power makes heat.

How you gonna deal with the heat?

Good points

GEN XER
February 14th, 2010, 22:03
Willie, my two cents. I would add some more money to your list - you will want a new clutch and flywheel - Centerforce or the like to get the power out, also I would guess you will need a custom radiator to keep things from cooking, add some larger electric fans as well. Are you keeping the stock exhaust ? - you may need to replace or gut the cats as they may overheat with all of the new flow going through them.

My old ride was a 280Z with an after market turbo ( 20 psi boost max) - all of these items I added were required.

This type of project is like home improvement - set a budget and add 50% to 100% for the gotcha's.

Good luck !

I dont have many OE parts on this car as I went to changing things when I first bought it. I have a 300HP clutchnet clutch in it now but it will be replaced by a centerforce one. The radiator and fans will be replaced. I have a Techtonics Tuning DP and high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust and a Magnaflo Cat-Back, this is when I had the idea of building a 2.9 N/A motor, the cost to HP ratio was just awful so I stoped the project and found out what boost would do. I would have spent about 20K or better making 350-375HP on a N/A VR6. I estimate I'm putting down 200-210hp with what I did, but the cost was getting beyond what I wanted to pay to continue. The ECU is tuned by GIAC, the cams are bigger, upgraded lifters, valve springs, It has an ABD CAI, the suspension is Billstein coilovers, H&R sways front and rear, Neuspeed strut bar, and a partridge in a pair tree. LOL!

DHall - I drive the RS6 for show, I drive the GTI for go. I cant shave the weight off the RS6, the GTI is already light and 400hp+ will make it a complete monster.

GEN XER
February 14th, 2010, 22:10
Parts List
Turbo's: T3/ T4 $900.....GT Series $1200
Turbo Piping: $600
Fueling: C2 Motorsports $1000
Intercooler & Piping: Mishimoto $900
Down Pipe: $150
Waste Gate & Diverter Valve: $550
Intake Manifold: Custom HB Motorwerks $500
Exhaust Manifold: ATP $350
Head Bolts: $200
Main Bolts & Bearings: $160
Rod Bolts & Bearings: $320
Fuel Pump: $160
Gauges & Pods: $600
Head Gasket: $200
Ceramic: Hot Parts $800

Labor: 2-3K

DHall

Hot parts done with ceramic coatings including the intake manifold.

I am going to be able to lower my parts cost because I'm not paying full retail. HB has agreed to get me the parts at cost and keep the labor at 2k, since I agreed to show the car this year at H20 in September. This could mean thousands of dollars saved.

DHall1
February 15th, 2010, 00:14
Ceramic hot parts will not erase the need for extra engine cooling.

Your explosion in each cylinder is going to make more heat. That heat has to go somewhere.

I see and understand your other points. Overall a good upgrade plan and you got your bases covered.

ttboost
February 15th, 2010, 00:19

Your explosion in each cylinder is going to make more heat. That heat has to go somewhere.

I see and understand your other points. Overall a good upgrade plan and you got your bases covered.

Yup, ceramic coating will just help to keep everything else in the engine bay from melting.:lovl:

GEN XER
February 15th, 2010, 00:58

I don't know what happened to my response, but I said I am less fortunate that someone.

V8weight
February 15th, 2010, 01:08
I don't know what happened to my response, but I said I am less fortunate that someone.
Hmm, your original post is still showing on my end.

GEN XER
February 15th, 2010, 01:08

Oh yes we have taken care of that. Plus QB coolant and oil will help.

Yup, ceramic coating will just help to keep everything else in the engine bay from melting.:lovl:
Yes it will. Especially in the overly plastic engine bay of a VW!! LOL!

GEN XER
April 30th, 2010, 03:18
My whole plan has changed. I just purchased a 2008 3.2L VR6 R32 motor with zero miles on it. This motor is going to replace my 2001 2.8L VR6 motor. I am going with just the motor for now and stand alone fueling. If I need more power then I am prepared to go with a turbo setup pushing about 12lbs of boost. With proper mapping I will be looking at 300hp and about the same ft/lbs on just the motor. Under boost 500hp is nothing. Stay tuned. I am in the middle of a renovation of our second house so I'm not even suppose to be spending money on an engine, so it will be a couple months before we get deep into this project. I had to get the engine because it was a steal.

DHall1
April 30th, 2010, 03:28
We doubled out money in WLP today. Another 40% gain yesterday. 5000ctsqxyz, amulets6 and myself. The crazy trio on the crazy train. Pat wont join us. chicken chicken dinner.

GEN XER
April 30th, 2010, 03:58
We doubled out money in WLP today. Another 40% gain yesterday. 5000ctsqxyz, amulets6 and myself. The crazy trio on the crazy train. Pat wont join us. chicken chicken dinner.

Since when do you invest in anything but DVN, and XOM

V8weight
April 30th, 2010, 04:07

Haha, I'm going to have to get you on the phone for a play the market like Dave for idiots consultation one of these days. This stuff is way over the capacity of my simple mind.

DHall1
April 30th, 2010, 04:49
Nope,

you have a math/engineering mind. They make the best market players

Haha, I'm going to have to get you on the phone for a play the market like Dave for idiots consultation one of these days. This stuff is way over the capacity of my simple mind.

DHall1
April 30th, 2010, 04:52
Na, DVN closed out last Friday with the double double. Waiting for a return before DVN hits again.

Healthcare stocks baby. All it takes is the government to pass a law that mandates YOU must buy health insurance. Poor suckers all have to stand at WLPs door and pay thru the nose. WLP record profits, HUM record profits, AET record profits. Any other questions?

Since when do you invest in anything but DVN, and XOM

V8weight
April 30th, 2010, 04:52
Nope,

you have a math/engineering mind. They make the best market players
For sure. It's just a whole new learning curve. Kind of like my complete lack of turbo knowledge prior to owning the RS6. I just have to do some studying.

ben916
April 30th, 2010, 04:53
.... This stuff is way over the capacity of my simple mind.

Um, you tackle taking apart your RS6 on nearly a daily basis...
I would love to play the market but I am missing one key ingredient .....$$$,$$$.$$

V8weight
April 30th, 2010, 05:06
Um, you tackle taking apart your RS6 on nearly a daily basis...
I would love to play the market but I am missing one key ingredient .....$$$,$$$.$$
Yeah, but I believe that for every skill and or talent lies an opposing lack there of. For instance I can triumph over anything mechanical, but can't leave for work in the morning until Rachel ties my shoes for me....... I just can't get past the rabbit goes under the tree step.

DHall1
April 30th, 2010, 06:18
simple

Loafer's not Puma's

I got a vid to put here...hang on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNYHoI47fw0&feature=related<object height="385" width="480"></object>

Yeah, but I believe that for every skill and or talent lies an opposing lack there of. For instance I can triumph over anything mechanical, but can't leave for work in the morning until Rachel ties my shoes for me....... I just can't get past the rabbit goes under the tree step.

GEN XER
May 10th, 2010, 05:36
My whole plan has changed. I just purchased a 2008 3.2L VR6 R32 motor with zero miles on it. This motor is going to replace my 2001 2.8L VR6 motor. I am going with just the motor for now and stand alone fueling. If I need more power then I am prepared to go with a turbo setup pushing about 12lbs of boost. With proper mapping I will be looking at 300hp and about the same ft/lbs on just the motor. Under boost 500hp is nothing. Stay tuned. I am in the middle of a renovation of our second house so I'm not even suppose to be spending money on an engine, so it will be a couple months before we get deep into this project. I had to get the engine because it was a steal.

Went with Underground VW Parts and got the ECU, Cluster, Wiring Harness, Body Harness, Key w/ignition, cluster, all the engine accessories, and a full O2M 6spd FWD setup. We are also going with a Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler.

GEN XER
May 11th, 2010, 15:10
Went with Underground VW Parts and got the ECU, Cluster, Wiring Harness, Body Harness, Key w/ignition, cluster, all the engine accessories, and a full O2M 6spd FWD setup. We are also going with a Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler.

Ok hopefully soon these parts will start coming in so we can access what else we are going to need but we are looking at going with South Bend for a clutch that can handle boost which looks to be in this cars future. I also ordered a Supersprint Exhaust muffler.

GEN XER
July 13th, 2010, 04:33
Well I guess I should update you guys. I had an issue with Underground VW. They took $1800 of my money and have yet to deliver the o2m trans they promised. I have had to contact the Hillsborough Consumer Protection Agency and file a complaint. They are currently investigating him for fraud and said it was not the first time. They also said they were successful in every case against this company so that's that. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE GUYS!!! I am marching on I decided to go with the 5spd o2j with an upgraded Peloquin Diff. I did receive most of the engine accessories, the engine wiring harness, body harness, cluster, keys, locks, and the ECU. I also have euro headlights, new coilovers all around, a set of Miro STP 1 wheels in 18x8.5 all around, slotted rotors front and rear, Mishimoto radiator, front and rear valances from a 20AE and I am upgrading my system to JL Audio 340/4 and 500/1 amps pushing to 10w0v2's and 4 6.5" Infiniti Reference speakers. That's about it, we are waiting on a fuel rail and some other misc parts to start putting it together. I will have pics when we start. I got a couple now to get you going.

V8weight
July 13th, 2010, 04:55
Well I guess I should update you guys. I had an issue with Underground VW. They took $1800 of my money and have yet to deliver the o2m trans they promised. I have had to contact the Hillsborough Consumer Protection Agency and file a complaint. They are currently investigating him for fraud and said it was not the first time. They also said they were successful in every case against this company so that's that. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE GUYS!!! I am marching on I decided to go with the 5spd o2j with an upgraded Peloquin Diff. I did receive most of the engine accessories, the engine wiring harness, body harness, cluster, keys, locks, and the ECU. I also have euro headlights, new coilovers all around, a set of Miro STP 1 wheels in 18x8.5 all around, slotted rotors front and rear, Mishimoto radiator, front and rear valances from a 20AE and I am upgrading my system to JL Audio 340/4 and 500/1 amps pushing to 10w0v2's and 4 6.5" Infiniti Reference speakers. That's about it, we are waiting on a fuel rail and some other misc parts to start putting it together. I will have pics when we start. I got a couple now to get you going.
Oh, sorry to hear about your experience, truly gutted for you. Unfortunately, in this economic climate, the vultures and predatory vendors seem to be coming out of the woodwork, but at the same time are being exposed and extinguished. I'm glad to hear you were able to make the best of the situation and are moving forward. Looking forward to future updates and PICS.

GEN XER
July 13th, 2010, 05:36
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/sofreshsoclean.jpg
Wheels will look like this.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/08R32.jpg
R32 Engine

JSRS6
July 13th, 2010, 12:59
Yee-haw! Lol. My Texas getting out for a sec. Hold on, ok. O/T Do you have any bnd engine oil still for the rs6? Its about time for a change.

GEN XER
July 13th, 2010, 19:17
Yee-haw! Lol. My Texas getting out for a sec. Hold on, ok. O/T Do you have any bnd engine oil still for the rs6? Its about time for a change.

Yes I do. Oil and Filter. PM me your number so we can set up a meet.

JSRS6
July 13th, 2010, 19:23
You have a PM sir.

GEN XER
July 14th, 2010, 03:58
Miro STP 1's 18x8.5 2.25 inch lip.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/Wheels.jpg

GEN XER
July 14th, 2010, 05:07
Should I tune the stock ECU or wait till I boost it? I don't know if I need to tune the stock ECU. Most of the tunes out their dont add much HP to an R32.

GEN XER
July 16th, 2010, 01:12
http://www.urofixx.c...showtopic=83236 (http://www.urofixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83236)

Wow!!! What a buddy F$@ker this guy is. He holds the trans for two months and when the investigator sends him a letter I get a O2M trans. WTF? That tells me he had no intentions of sending me this trans. Wow this is really not the way to do business, especially after I just spent $3200 on gears and a peloquin diff for the O2J trans. I was refunded the money for the gears because they had not shipped, but the peloquin was shipped 3 day ups and it arrives tomorrow. I called AP tuning and they will allow me to swap the diff for a one in the O2M. Now I hope the trnas fits a vr6 and not a 1.8T, cause at this point Leslie has absolutely no credibility with me! This was my first and last order with Underground VW Parts and if you are smart you wont order from this guy.

OK OK the trans fits. Im doing a O2M peloquin because Im already 825 into it and I don't want to pay 20% restock fee. I need a Mk4 R32 valve cover the MK5 valve cover wont work. UGVW has one but hell no. If you have one let me know.

GEN XER
July 20th, 2010, 00:50
This is what she currently looks like.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/Acrylic%20Werks/AcrylicWerksCars003.jpg

GEN XER
July 22nd, 2010, 21:40
Front Rotors
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/dba_4000_rotor_hero.jpg

Rear Rotors
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/RearSlottedRotors.jpg

O2M Peloquin FWD Diff
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/Peloquin_s_Diffe_4a7c4dabc7780.jpg

MK4 R32 Intake
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/Mk4Intake.jpg

MK4 R32 Valve Cover is on the way.

JSRS6
July 22nd, 2010, 22:09
Looks awesome Willie! ;-)

ben916
July 22nd, 2010, 23:17
http://www.urofixx.c...showtopic=83236 (http://www.urofixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83236)

Wow!!! What a buddy F$@ker this guy is. He holds the trans for two months and when the investigator sends him a letter I get a O2M trans. WTF? That tells me he had no intentions of sending me this trans. Wow this is really not the way to do business, especially after I just spent $3200 on gears and a peloquin diff for the O2J trans. I was refunded the money for the gears because they had not shipped, but the peloquin was shipped 3 day ups and it arrives tomorrow. I called AP tuning and they will allow me to swap the diff for a one in the O2M. Now I hope the trnas fits a vr6 and not a 1.8T, cause at this point Leslie has absolutely no credibility with me! This was my first and last order with Underground VW Parts and if you are smart you wont order from this guy.

OK OK the trans fits. Im doing a O2M peloquin because Im already 825 into it and I don't want to pay 20% restock fee. I need a Mk4 R32 valve cover the MK5 valve cover wont work. UGVW has one but hell no. If you have one let me know.

good work!
Personally, I would have jumped on a plane and paid a visit...

snoopra
July 23rd, 2010, 02:16
+2. What he said. Can't wait for details/write-ups as I'm considering getting a GTI myself (Boosted, of course!).
Consider having the intake JET ceramic coated to help with temps, I'm sending my "Y" intake for a coat to assist the Beast in maintaining full boost.

54m
July 24th, 2010, 00:45
Sounds like a good project you've got going, Going to keep a close eye on this thread!
I also own a second car which is a G60 MK2 Golf with quite abit of work carried out on it by jabba sport.

GEN XER
July 25th, 2010, 02:52
I am going with South Bend Clutch for a single mass clutch & flywheel setup, capable of handling 550hp.

GEN XER
July 28th, 2010, 03:10
Well we broke inside the Trans today and Im happy to report that it is good inside. Very little shavings and no metal chunks inside. We took the OE diff out and replaced it with the Peloquin Diff. This Diff is going to make a huge difference.

Gears and Peloquin Diff
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/002.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/004.jpg

Drilling out the rivets in the OE Diff
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/006.jpg

Peloquin Diff
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/003.jpg

OE Diff
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/007.jpg

R1
July 28th, 2010, 05:52
nice job Gen Xer, can't wait to see it!

GEN XER
July 30th, 2010, 03:37
South Bend Clutch & Flywheel
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/SBClutch.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/SBClutch2.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/Flywheel.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/Clutch2.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/cLUTCH.jpg

Through Out Bearing
This bearing will last a lot longer. It is really a lot more robust.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/NewTOBearing.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/TOBearing.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/Bearing.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/VDUB%20Build/BearingComparo.jpg

GEN XER
August 5th, 2010, 17:04
For those who may be following this swap. Check it out here. I dont want to keep posting the same pics everywhere.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4958198-My-R32-Swap

GEN XER
October 17th, 2010, 00:23
Drove it to the tire shop to change the tires from 225/40 to 225/35 18's and I took a couple shots. Drives good looks good cant wait till it is done. I cant wait till its broke in either. Revs to 4-4.5rpm is nice but it has a lot left, you can feel it before you have to let off.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/2010-10-15_13-24-35_251.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/2010-10-15_13-30-31_685.jpg

GEN XER
December 10th, 2010, 02:56
Car is done. It can be viewed here
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4958198-My-R32-Swap

GEN XER
February 23rd, 2011, 19:03
HB Motorwerks is now on Facebook. Use the FB Search and type in hb motorwerks. You should find a shop with the phone number 757-965-7145 in Chesapeake Va. Just "LIKE" the page and see what it is we do here, you may never use us but we still like being "LIKED". If you know someone who could use our services let us know. Come on and see all the HB projects in one place.

54m
September 9th, 2011, 20:47
Awesome work!! Any updates with this build??

GEN XER
September 10th, 2011, 07:54
The whole build is on the link in post 55. The car is done. Has about 7k miles on it, and I have to take it in for a serious grinding noise coming from the clutch at idle and when I rev it slightly. Sounds like the disc or pressure plate has some issues.