PDA

View Full Version : is changing the cooling temp sensor covered???

rle55
January 26th, 2010, 16:34
Pls. help.

i brought in my car yesterday for iam hearing a clunking noice at rear passenger side awhen i make right turns and hit bumps...thought the drc failed again...and while driving there for about 5min i noticed my temp gauge barely wnet up (say 1/4) then went to zero,..then went up to middle..

got a call from the dealership and had told me that the exhaust is loose and hitting something underneath, oh well, they won't touch it for it is aftermarket. fine.

about the weird temp gauge,it happens to be the cooling temp sensor., told me its a $500 job..

is this (2) covered on fidelty warranty (platinum) 4yr/48000

advice would be appreciated.

thanks!
ron

V8weight
January 26th, 2010, 16:53
The temp sender is covered under the Fidelity warranty so no worries there. As far as the exhaust rattle, you have the Eisenmann as well right? I had the same problem with mine. When I first got the car the exhaust was fit very poorly and actually bounced off the bottom of the fuel tank when I hit bumps. If you're handy you can crawl under there and loosen the clamps and try to do some adjusting, otherwise I'm sure the dealer can do it for about an hours labor while it's in for the other repair.

rle55
January 26th, 2010, 17:17
sounds great.

yes, i have the eisenmann as well, it doesn't really bother me that much, i just thought it was the drc again w/c i am sure they will fix. anyway, do you guys know how long to replace the coolng temp sensor? they provided me a rental anyway (toyota matrix..:-) ) oh well

thsnks again guys!

Hy Octane
January 26th, 2010, 17:39
Had the same symptoms. it was the thermostat..

rle55
January 26th, 2010, 18:02
the dealer said its the cooling temp sensor.

Roger
February 22nd, 2010, 18:41
Just encountered the first problem ever with my RS6, and it looks like it's the thermostat. Anyone have an idea about the price for this. I seems it is not on top of the engine like most every other thermostat in the world!

Shoppinit
February 22nd, 2010, 18:50
It's a $40 part. Very common failure. Down the back of the engine. A PITA, but not rocket science to change. $500 is an outrageous price to ask.

Roger
February 22nd, 2010, 19:06
I was just quoted $1500 to change the thermostat. It seems it is rocket science.

Shoppinit
February 22nd, 2010, 19:08
Sure. But the thermostat isn't the temperature sender.

For the thermostat you have to remove the cambelt, hence the $1500 bill for a $30 part.

Shoppinit
February 22nd, 2010, 19:09
Sorry, my bad. I was talking about the temp sender.

DHall1
February 23rd, 2010, 00:18
Roger,

I could change it for 50 bucks.

What is your schedule for your timing belt change? If I remember correctly you have low mileage. Is it due for the timing belt?

Just encountered the first problem ever with my RS6, and it looks like it's the thermostat. Anyone have an idea about the price for this. I seems it is not on top of the engine like most every other thermostat in the world!

Roger
February 23rd, 2010, 00:40
SSSSold, what day do you want me to bring it over?

DHall1
February 23rd, 2010, 00:41
Roger,

Yours is not a unique situation. You really should start a new thread for future reference. Here is a pic of the front of my engine during our timing belt party last month. This should give you an idea of the work involved.

Also, any dealer that does not recommend a complete timing belt and bearing service should be shot.

BTW, what makes your dealer think the thermostat needs replacement?

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/Thermostatdiy.jpg?t=1266885281

Roger
February 23rd, 2010, 00:52
I was quoted over the phone and the tech did recommend the timing belt. I read on another thread on this forum that the timing belt should be done at 75K. Anyway, even though it looks like a lot of fun to pul the engine apart, I'm going to have to pay someone else to do it - then buy an S8 or Q7. Whose looking for an almost perfect RS6 wirh 38k?

DHall1
February 23rd, 2010, 00:58
Your car is up to 38k. Has the timing belt ever been done?

If not then plan on the whole shooting match. Bid the dealer down on prices because you can buy the genuine Audi parts for 40% off.

Your car needs the timing belt at 35k. Plain and simple. The two little rollers in the above pic MUST be changed at 35k. MUST, MUST, MUST.

I was quoted over the phone and the tech did recommend the timing belt. I read on another thread on this forum that the timing belt should be done at 75K. Anyway, even though it looks like a lot of fun to pul the engine apart, I'm going to have to pay someone else to do it - then buy an S8 or Q7. Whose looking for an almost perfect RS6 wirh 38k?

GEN XER
February 23rd, 2010, 01:53
^^^ must!!! ^^^ lol!

DHall1
February 23rd, 2010, 02:16
Willie,

You should know that I am one of the cheapest people on this forum. If not the cheapest.

If I say 2 rollers NEED to be done at 35k. They must really need to be done.

I would never imagine that those two little suckers would have to be done but.....after doing mine at 32 and looking at Pat's at 75k. It is amazing, those little suckers are shot at 35k.

GEN XER
February 23rd, 2010, 06:46
Willie,

You should know that I am one of the cheapest people on this forum. If not the cheapest.

If I say 2 rollers NEED to be done at 35k. They must really need to be done.

I would never imagine that those two little suckers would have to be done but.....after doing mine at 32 and looking at Pat's at 75k. It is amazing, those little suckers are shot at 35k.

I agree, mine were shot too. I saw the parts that came out.

Shoppinit
February 23rd, 2010, 08:44
Nice photo DHall. Did I miss a tutorial somewhere?

DHall1
February 23rd, 2010, 14:08
Well, unless we sound the bell and bang the drums...owners such as Roger may think they can push the timing belt job to 75k. They cannot and the engine will explode long before that point.

I like sounding the horn. That way members have no choice but to service their cars properly or get rid of them to someone who will.

I agree, mine were shot too. I saw the parts that came out.

DHall1
February 23rd, 2010, 14:09
Sorry, I can give pointers but there are far too many steps to writeup a diy. It would take 2 weeks.

Nice photo DHall. Did I miss a tutorial somewhere?

GEN XER
February 23rd, 2010, 16:51
Well, unless we sound the bell and bang the drums...owners such as Roger may think they can push the timing belt job to 75k. They cannot and the engine will explode long before that point.

I like sounding the horn. That way members have no choice but to service their cars properly or get rid of them to someone who will.

I am with you on this. You have to do the maint on any VAG product, no BS. These cars don't do well if you don't. We had a guy come in yesterday with a 1.8T and the timing belt was about to jump off the rollers, then he says "owe the belt has 110K miles on it". Come on man!! All VAG cars have to be maintained on time or it will cost you in the end. Literally in the end. When I got my RS6, I went through it and replaced nearly everything, including the fluids, now I know how much wear and tear is on everything. I did the same with my VR6. These cars are not as forgiving as a Toyota or Honda when it comes to maint. I swear the parameters are just to narrow on these cars, it seems the CEL just stays on.

DHall1
February 23rd, 2010, 17:30
^^

But we get to go out and turn the key of that RS6. Priceless! Everything else is just noise.

Guess what I have come across in my avant search? VW touareg V10TT turbo diesel. I didnt know they brought over a few of these over the years. I am now on the hunt to drive one. 550ft/lbs of torque. Oh my.

ben916
February 23rd, 2010, 17:55
^^

But we get to go out and turn the key of that RS6. Priceless! Everything else is just noise.

Guess what I have come across in my avant search? VW touareg V10TT turbo diesel. I didnt know they brought over a few of these over the years. I am now on the hunt to drive one. 550ft/lbs of torque. Oh my.

The rumble in the morning and all the sounds before the idle kicks down a bit... worth it....

O/T
V10TT TDI - sweet! and not many of them around... someone at my daughter's school has one in black - sweet! He used to be a 'burban guy with his boat but the GMC would "struggle" but with the VW - "no problem".
"The Touareg V10 TDI returns for 2006 powered by a 5.0-liter 10-cylinder twin-turbocharged diesel engine that delivers 310 horsepower and 533 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm." carpoint.msn.com
O/T 2x - is Erik a record holder with one of these?

GEN XER
February 25th, 2010, 05:08
^^

This is a monster SUV. All I will say is hold on when you punch it and I'm sure you will. The only weak link is the drive shaft. Upgrade to a Cayenne Drive-
shaft, its cheaper and stronger and it fits. Have fun.

Roger
March 5th, 2010, 19:14
Had my car in yesterday for the same type of symptoms. Fan ran for about a minute on cold start-up, engine temp stayed on cold most of the time, oil temp normal. They changed the temperature sender, total cost $260. So the total of ALL unscheduled maintenace to my car over it's life is $260. Not bad.

PS they wanted $3100 to do the timing, serpentine, pulleys, water pump.