PDA

View Full Version : This could be very bad...

Patrick M
September 4th, 2003, 16:43
I picked up the car yesterday and drove her home, about 12 miles. When my son came home, we went for a ride. Drove her another mile or so, when Bam!, she abruptly died. She turned over, but wouldn't start (seemed to run for a few seconds on one bank of cylinders, then would die). A flatbed came and got her, and now the dealership is trying to figure it out. I'm hoping its something simple, probably computer or electrical related (keep your fingers crossed for me), but its not quite the 'RS6 buying experience I was expecting!

Will keep you posted,

Patrick:cry:

TheBrit
September 4th, 2003, 16:59
:vsad2: Hope you get that sorted out without too much trouble.

avdh
September 4th, 2003, 17:10
Sorry to hear that!

Please keep us informed, for all we know it might hopefully be minor, maybe something to do with the alarm system, which can cut the power to the engine.

John Quinlan
September 4th, 2003, 17:19
I had a simular experience in an S8. It turned out to be the immobilizor in the key. I hope it is as simple as somthing like that. Good luck.

Rally
September 4th, 2003, 17:33
Almost the same thing happened to me last night.

I started the car up warm and it started missing very badly about a minute into my drive. It would cut out (as in no gas or spark) at light throttle and I swear I heard two backfires through the exhaust :(

I pulled over and turned the car off after driving around for a few minutes waiting for the car to unsuccessfully clear itself out. Waited a minute or so and refired the car. It acted perfectly normal.

Let me know what your problem was so I can tell the dealer what to fix without them having to tear the car apart.

Benman
September 4th, 2003, 18:55
WOW!!! Very sorry to hear that. Please keep all of us posted. So far mine has been a dream come true and it pains me to have a fellow RS 6 nut without his Beast. My simpathies:vsad2:

Ben:addict:

Bauer
September 4th, 2003, 18:58
That sucks....sorry to hear it. Hopefully it is a simply fix and your back on the road. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Bauer
03 RS6
01 S8
92 S4

eph94
September 4th, 2003, 19:26
Oh man, that's a bummer. I hope there is a quick and painless resolution!!

Patrick M
September 4th, 2003, 20:12
The dealer's interim report is that the problem is "some kind of electrical problem" that affects five different component systems in the car (?). No estimate yet on how long to get it repaired.

I asked for more specific info, but I only spoke with a service writer who didn't know much. When available, I'll be sure to get the lowdown from the Tech so I can pass it along to the good folks here.

Stay tuned,

Patrick

Snow
September 4th, 2003, 20:17
Ok, but then it isn't a big mechanical failure which would be much worse and more expensive (probably)...
But still, with all the safety systems (airbag, esp and god-knows-what) a electrical failure would worry me a bit too, hence I don't want that airbag in my face unless I actually need it.:bang:

Hope it'll get solved soon, take care!

:bye:

Patrick M
September 4th, 2003, 21:57
I swear I'm not making this up: The Service Director states that, upon occasion, when making a right turn, a master fuse blows for unknown reasons (I had just completed a right turn when my beast expired). This sufficiently f*cks up several component systems to kill the car, cause replacement of modules, etc. This is an intermittant problem, but obviously a serious one.

The Service Director claims that this is a hereto unknown condition. Audi NA has been made aware of the situation and is sending a senior Audi Tech, presumably from Germany, to the Chicago area tomorrow. The dealer is holding on to my trade-in (BMW 540i) in case the situation can't be resolved and I have to walk from the deal. Unbelieveable!

The dealer (Audi Exchange) has been very proactive in addressing the issue and keeping me informed, but that doesn't keep me from being MAJOR bummed.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem, please let me know.

More to follow.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

nene
September 4th, 2003, 22:08
That's a weird one for sure!

I'll have to either take it slow on right hand turns, or at the very least just take left hand turns from now on.

Really sorry to hear it, and thanks for sharing all the news with us. I say keep the RS6 nonetheless, and let's see how many on the board eventually ever get that issue.

iconcls
September 4th, 2003, 22:25
I have Never heard of this from any C5 based A6 before and I thought I've heard 'em all.

It sounds like your dealer is trying to do right by you; keep us posted

eph94
September 5th, 2003, 01:48
Hmm, I'd better learn to perfect the handbrake-induced right turn...

Wow, that is truly bizarre.

I think it is related to the battery being on the right hand side of the trunk, which is why this situation has never occured in previous C5 based A6s or the non-USA RS6s. Since the battery takes up trunk space, it creates a "vacuum" where air should normally exist. So, when a right hand turn is made, and when all the air in the trunk shifts from right to left, that "vacuum" disturbs the equilibrium, or atmosphere, within the car just enough to cause the master fuse to blow. I knew I didn't like that battery back there.

More seriously, this is truly a bummer and I hope that it is an easy fix, something of a twist-tie here or there around some wires type of solution.

:cry:

Muju
September 5th, 2003, 06:36
Hey Patrick,

Sorry to hear about your car. GOOD Luck mate. Im keeping my fingers crossed=):vsad2:

avdh
September 5th, 2003, 07:30
Patrick,

Can't they find you a new RS6? From what I have read on AW there are quite a few unsold RS6's in the US.

Patrick M
September 5th, 2003, 12:57
Originally posted by avdh
Patrick,

Can't they find you a new RS6? From what I have read on AW there are quite a few unsold RS6's in the US.

This is a possibility I am going to pursue this morning. I suspect, however, that the dealer will be reluctant to admit that there are unsold units in the States. We shall see.

Patrick

Mr. Fru-T Pants
September 5th, 2003, 15:32
Mine's still sitting in New York. You could get it, I'm sure. Email me if necessary, but good luck with the repair, and sorry about your mess...

gmbh6
September 6th, 2003, 15:21
Originally posted by JJV-MA
Since the battery takes up trunk space, it creates a "vacuum" where air should normally exist.

:confused:

what do you mean takes up trunk space?

like a piece of luggage in the car would take up space?

dont most mercedes have the batteries in the trunk?

oh and did i tell you guys about my problem with the mass air flow sensor on this board or was that audiworld.........sorry but it's early on saturday morning.

Patrick M
September 6th, 2003, 15:29
The Audi Techs have not pinpointed the final source of the problem, but they suspect that one of the motor mount sensors are at fault (what the hell does a motor mount sensor do?) as they are one of the systems affected by the short, which only seems to happen after a right hand turn.

Unfortunately, discovering the ultimate source of the problem may entail a lengthy teardown of the car, so Audi USA and my dealer have provided me with a new car, to arrive Monday

The new beast is Datona Grey/Silver and has the black tip exhaust like mine, but in addition it has Carbon Fiber (I can take it or leave it) and Nav system. I will not be charged for the additional stuff. The car is apparently coming from a dealer in Ohio, so if anyone knows why this car is available, please let me know.

I'd like to stress that both the dealer and Audi USA have acted with alactricty and concern in resolving this problem. I think this could bode well for those of us who may encounter future problems.

Finally, I have asked that I be informed of the final problem aand resolution so I can pass it on to the folks on this board.

Patrick:D

Bauer
September 6th, 2003, 18:21
Patrick,

I am very happy to hear that your dealer and AoA are stepping up to the plate. I geuss they dont wnat to lose any premium car buyers....which is smart on their part. Keep us posted and I hope the new car does you right.

CA Kid ....I dont believe you did mention anything on this board...but I have heard and I have had on an old 91 200 20v problems with mass air flow sensor as well. Not a major problem if thats all it is.

Bauer

03 RS6
01 S8
92 S4

eph94
September 7th, 2003, 02:28
Originally posted by thcakid
:confused:

what do you mean takes up trunk space?

like a piece of luggage in the car would take up space?

dont most mercedes have the batteries in the trunk?

I was just joking about the protruding battery in the trunk causing the problem.

The battery does however take up a good chunk that would otherwise be usable space. The battery in my 540 was also in the rear, but not taking up space in the trunk. I've never seen the trunk of a Benz, so that I'm not sure. The RS6 is my "garbage car" (my town does not have trash collection) so I lose about a kitchen trash bag's worth of space where the battery is. Now some trash sometimes makes it into the cabin. Pee-yew! especially after it sits around in a hot garage for a week.

iconcls
September 7th, 2003, 02:41
The RS6 is my "garbage car"

My RS is also MY garbage car; have a long driveway and every week the refuse is driven in style to the end of the drive in the RS ;-) Now I don't feel so alone and ashamed! Thank you JJV-MA:)

(Now I will meekly retreat for the onslaught of "You stupid *&^%, put what in your RS 6."):eek:

jconley
September 7th, 2003, 16:35
Wow- Where do you guys live that there is no trash service?? I've never heard of that...I'm a city boy i guess :)

iconcls
September 7th, 2003, 17:19
Originally posted by jconley
Wow- Where do you guys live that there is no trash service?? I've never heard of that...I'm a city boy i guess :)

I have refuse service, just a LONG driveway and I'm still just 35 mins. from the Loop; but that may be solely attributable to my RS 6 driving habits :)

eph94
September 8th, 2003, 01:01
Originally posted by jconley

I never heard of it either until I moved here. I live just 20 miles north of Boston, can you believe it? It's not like I live in the sticks. I think all the surrounding towns have trash service. When I first moved to this town 3 years ago, the local cable company didn't even have the Food Network available. What did we have instead? The Great American Country Music channel! It really is unbelievable, especially as we have million dollar homes popping up everywhere and Boston Bruins players moving in all the time.

gmbh6
September 8th, 2003, 01:56
I was just joking about the protruding battery in the trunk causing the problem.

...and you did it with such a straight face :D

Bauer
September 8th, 2003, 04:57
RS6 "trash car" wholy smokes....how about we all chip in a $100.00 and you guys can go get a $1000.00 old pick up truck to slove that problem.:cheers:

Bauer

03 RS6
01 S8
92 S4"trash car?":D

eph94
September 8th, 2003, 13:00
Originally posted by Bauer
RS6 "trash car" wholy smokes....how about we all chip in a $100.00 and you guys can go get a $1000.00 old pick up truck to slove that problem.:cheers:

I've entertained the thought of buying a $1000 'beater' for trash runs, but then I thought: "What would I rather be driving to the dump?" When I think of that way, I feel blessed to have the ULTIMATE trash car! :0: Funny thing is that I got more "weird" looks when I was taking the 540i there; now no one looks twice. I LOVE THIS CAR. :addict:

GmbHouse
September 8th, 2003, 18:05
Buy a Kawasaki Mule. I too have a long driveway and use the Mule to take down the trash, plow snow, haul "stuff" and both my kids learned to drive on it.