PDA

View Full Version : Side Mirror Tilt in Reverse

bruce
January 22nd, 2010, 20:56
I did a search and didn't find much, so this may be silly, but for the first time my right side mirror tilted down going into reverse. I did a double take as I don't EVER remember it doing that. Very handy for not curbing the wheels. The adjustment knob on the center console was turned to that side, probably from me screwing around with the new cup holder (another story). When knob is centered, the mirror does not tilt.

Have I always had this function and just didn't know it? Seems like it should tilt anyway in center position if it has the capability....

AudiRS4ever
January 22nd, 2010, 20:59
Yes, that is a standard function when selector is pointed to the right mirror.

bruce
January 22nd, 2010, 21:02
Well it only took me 80,000 miles to figure that out. :stick:

AudiRS4ever
January 22nd, 2010, 21:04
Well it only took me 80,000 miles to figure that out. :stick:

It's like a new car again. :jlol:

bruce
January 22nd, 2010, 21:06
Actually it IS a new car :rs6kiss:

It makes me wonder what else I've been missing.....:bigeyes:

vangelis
January 22nd, 2010, 21:19
I tried that right now as I really want this option, i love it and i used to have in my BMW. But it didn't work for me :( ,, no idea why!!! I've tried putting the adjustment knob turned to right/ center/ left all did not work for me. Is it possible to enable it via VAG? i love to have this option. By the way, i also don't have the option of automatically folding mirrors. only adjusting the mirrors but not closing or opening.

bruce
January 22nd, 2010, 21:26
I'm going to check the VAGCOM when I get a chance.

When I did a search I found these codes, but I don't know what they refer to:

6XE - electric fold
6XJ - auto dip
6XK - both of above

anyone?

Bigglezworth
January 22nd, 2010, 21:29
This feature is USELESS if you have your mirrors adjusted "properly"..... By that I mean adjusted so that you have NO blind spots and so that you aren't staring down the side of your car.

vangelis
January 22nd, 2010, 21:35
This feature is USELESS if you have your mirrors adjusted "properly"..... By that I mean adjusted so that you have NO blind spots and so that you aren't staring down the side of your car.

How? i find it very useful for me, even if the mirrors are adjusted properly, they won't show the side wall while you parking. You need this option to give u that view and return back to original adjustment after switching back to N.

3audis_sofar
January 22nd, 2010, 21:35
I have it on my 1994 S4.

xpl0sive
January 22nd, 2010, 23:15
I'm going to check the VAGCOM when I get a chance.

When I did a search I found these codes, but I don't know what they refer to:

6XE - electric fold
6XJ - auto dip
6XK - both of above

anyone?

the codes refer to the type of mirrors the car has. some of them have only the auto folding mirrors, some have only the audo-dip function that points the mirror down in reverse, and some have both....

vangelis
January 22nd, 2010, 23:17
so, that means i have to have one of those options as a standard option? I don't have any of these options!! how can i check this code in VAG?

MaxRS6
January 22nd, 2010, 23:20
the codes refer to the type of mirrors the car has. some of them have only the auto folding mirrors, some have only the audo-dip function that points the mirror down in reverse, and some have both....

I learned my quota for the day- Mine has all and I "assumed" they all came with it.

xpl0sive
January 22nd, 2010, 23:20
does your mirror switch have an emblem on the bottom of it in the center? if so, you have auto folding mirrors. also, if you turn it to the position where you adjust the right mirror, and put the car in reverse, the passnger side mirror should tilt down. if it doesnt then you dont have that option

xpl0sive
January 22nd, 2010, 23:21
I learned my quota for the day- Mine has all and I "assumed" they all came with it.

i think all the 2003+ cars in NA come with both options.. the cars overseas probably dont... my old 01 4.2 didnt have auto folding mirrors, but had the auto-dip function

skribe
January 22nd, 2010, 23:26

Ah, yes. We have a side-view mirror snob among us.

It's technically correct to pivot your passenger side mirror about five degrees counter-clockwise further than the intuitive position, where you see the edge of your car.

But nobody does that... I don't, because I find it annoying for some reason, and I don't feel safe making lane changes without a quick head turn anyway.

I like that tilt-down feature. Eliminates rim-curbage paranoia.

vangelis
January 22nd, 2010, 23:29
does your mirror switch have an emblem on the bottom of it in the center? if so, you have auto folding mirrors. also, if you turn it to the position where you adjust the right mirror, and put the car in reverse, the passnger side mirror should tilt down. if it doesnt then you dont have that option

Mine is 2004 model (prod date is 12/2004) and i don't have that an emblem on the bottom of it in the center, only L & R and center. :(

I think since it has a motor anyway, it might be an option via VAG can add this option while reverse? possible?

xpl0sive
January 22nd, 2010, 23:32
so you have this switch?
http://images.andale.com/f2/101/111/19917808/2007/7/3/a6_ms.JPG

that would mean that your car doesnt have the autofolding option... try putting it into the passenger mirror position and put it in reverse and see if anything happens... i'm pretty sure that if nothing happens that feature can be turned on via vag com... but the autofolding mirrors need to be installed and the switch needs to be changed if you want both options

xpl0sive
January 22nd, 2010, 23:36
this is something like the switch NA cars have that has the autofolding mirror option...

http://www.worldimpex.com/assets/partimages/040309.jpg

xpl0sive
January 22nd, 2010, 23:41
you should check the parking assist module in vag com... check the coding in it

vangelis
January 22nd, 2010, 23:45
so you have this switch?

that would mean that your car doesnt have the autofolding option... try putting it into the passenger mirror position and put it in reverse and see if anything happens... i'm pretty sure that if nothing happens that feature can be turned on via vag com... but the autofolding mirrors need to be installed and the switch needs to be changed if you want both options

YES, that is exactly what i have. I tried putting it into the passenger mirror position and reverse but didn't tilt. So any idea where to find that option via VAG to enable it? and what to do if I want to retro fit the autofolding option? new mirrors required with autofolding option?

bruce
January 22nd, 2010, 23:46
I have this one:

So that means I DON'T have auto-folding if I read your posts correctly.

vangelis
January 22nd, 2010, 23:46
I have this one:

So that means I DON'T have auto-folding if I read your posts correctly.

Yes, Me 2 :vgrumpy:

xpl0sive
January 22nd, 2010, 23:47
yes you need new mirrors for autofolding since they have motors built in for that... as far as the tilting. i'm not sure what module it would be under, i tried looking but couldnt find anything that relates to the mirrors lol

Bigglezworth
January 22nd, 2010, 23:49
Ah, yes. We have a side-view mirror snob among us.

It's technically correct to pivot your passenger side mirror about five degrees counter-clockwise further than the intuitive position, where you see the edge of your car.

But nobody does that... I don't, because I find it annoying for some reason, and I don't feel safe making lane changes without a quick head turn anyway.

I like that tilt-down feature. Eliminates rim-curbage paranoia.I'm guessing you don't track cars that often then because you'll experience a near death experience if you don't have them adjusted this way. Driving instructors got it in your head that you should have your mirrors adjusted to see the side of your car and that you should have your hands at the 2:00 and 10:00 positions.

Give yourself an honest 2 weeks driving with the mirrors in the correct position (ya ya I know you'll say this is an opinion thingy) and I guarantee it you won't go back. Even insurance companies will like you for this as it lessens accidents.

http://www.canadiandirect.com/Auto/Safe_Driving_Tips/Blind_Spots.aspx

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

http://www.wnins.com/losscontrol/Spotlight/blindspot.pdf

skribe
January 23rd, 2010, 06:24
No, I don't parallel park on the track often. No, I don't track my RS6, not what it was made for, INMO.

We were talking about pulling up to starbucks and seeing the curb, not hot lapping road america. Obv there are many things different between the street and the track. My brother has been hassling me for 20 years to drive my road cars with the outside mirror in the skip-barber approved position, I've tried, and just can't quite get used to it. Plus I live in a large metro and parallel park multiple times a day. I learned to love tilt-down driving around on a set of $4k forged BBS on my last daily driver.

I have a longacre panoramic mirror on my track car... which doesn't see the track very often these days. :snow:

snoopra
January 24th, 2010, 13:27
I'll have to try the reverse feature one of these days:)

RS6-4dr911
January 24th, 2010, 16:54
WHY is it so friggin' hard to convince people that this method is not only "correct" but BETTER?????

I've never seen any of this print, it just seemed the logical way to adjust the mirrors. I feel so validated now. Make sure, everyone, that you realize he's referring to your average Sears Driving School instructor (not a qualified track or racing instructor) that teaches this inane method of being able to see your own car in your own mirrors.

The logic is so simple, adjusted properly, without ever turning your head away from the windshield, you can see 360 degrees around you. Great links.

I'm guessing you don't track cars that often then because you'll experience a near death experience if you don't have them adjusted this way. Driving instructors got it in your head that you should have your mirrors adjusted to see the side of your car and that you should have your hands at the 2:00 and 10:00 positions.

Give yourself an honest 2 weeks driving with the mirrors in the correct position (ya ya I know you'll say this is an opinion thingy) and I guarantee it you won't go back. Even insurance companies will like you for this as it lessens accidents.

http://www.canadiandirect.com/Auto/Safe_Driving_Tips/Blind_Spots.aspx

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm (http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/%7Egdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm)

http://www.wnins.com/losscontrol/Spotlight/blindspot.pdf

mmaturo
January 24th, 2010, 17:52
WHY is it so friggin' hard to convince people that this method is not only "correct" but BETTER?????

I've never seen any of this print, it just seemed the logical way to adjust the mirrors. I feel so validated now. Make sure, everyone, that you realize he's referring to your average Sears Driving School instructor (not a qualified track or racing instructor) that teaches this inane method of being able to see your own car in your own mirrors.

The logic is so simple, adjusted properly, without ever turning your head away from the windshield, you can see 360 degrees around you. Great links.

Fully agree. I get so irritated every time i get the car washed and the guys knock or move them out of the sweet spot. This 'correct' way was 1000% necessary in my TT as I couldn't see crap even when turning the head.

hahnmgh63
January 24th, 2010, 18:14
I have the same mirror switch that Snoopra posted above with the folding position. Maybe the switch is all you guys need as it would seem stupid for Audi to have swapped the mirror internals since they look the same from the outside? Maybe one of us need to take a look at the ETKA to see?
I also do agree about the mirror position, I learned that at Skip Barber racing school about 15 years ago and it takes a little to get used to but I've never went back. No need to see the side of my car, I know it is still there.

vangelis
January 24th, 2010, 18:19
I have the same mirror switch that Snoopra posted above with the folding position. Maybe the switch is all you guys need as it would seem stupid for Audi to have swapped the mirror internals since they look the same from the outside? Maybe one of us need to take a look at the ETKA to see?
I also do agree about the mirror position, I learned that at Skip Barber racing school about 15 years ago and it takes a little to get used to but I've never went back. No need to see the side of my car, I know it is still there.

Any one have access to ETKA can double check whether Mirrors have only 1 part number or different ones? as I believe we do need more than that mirror switch with folding option, we have to have mirrors supporting folding as well.

hahnmgh63
January 24th, 2010, 18:32
A look at the ETKA does show 4 different suffix's on the part # for each mirror side so there must be a difference, but 4? A list an Aluminum Matte choice for each of the different part #'s so something internal, and this is for the mirror assembly, not the glass as we know there are at least 4 different glass choices out there.

topcat_92
January 24th, 2010, 22:00
Flipped it to the right mirror, put it in reverse, and bingo, the mirror tracked down to see the curb.

One more reason to love the :rs6kiss:. Shhh, don't tell anyone else.

Funny story, after a few games, a guy on my new soccer team asked if I drove the RS6. I smiled, said yes, and asked if had one. He said he drove his buddies once. On that 20 minute drive near Microsoft HQ, a Porsche pulled up (didn't remember which Carrera model), his buddy said to take him, and blew the doors off. He couldn't believe that all that power, handling, and trackability was possible in a sedan.

In the games since, he asks if I've got any tickets lately...

Knock on wood, not yet...

hahnmgh63
January 24th, 2010, 22:49
Topcat, when are you going to show up at one of the Wednesday Audi meets at Feierabend pub in Seattle? I went up two weeks ago and we had 3 RS6's there, so sometime soon we need to make it four or five. Some Audi club members meet every Wednesday at about 8:00. Some come once a month, some every week, etc...

topcat_92
January 24th, 2010, 23:08
Feierabend! I've been there a few times. Didn't know there was a get together there. PM me with the meet date and I'll head on down.

MaxRS6
January 24th, 2010, 23:13
Feierabend! I've been there a few times. Didn't know there was a get together there. PM me with the meet date and I'll head on down.

Spy shot..

http://www.showyourmedia.com/files/1262884274.jpg

skribe
January 25th, 2010, 00:06
Allright ya assholes. I'm going to drive with outside mirror out and p
flip it back in while parking for a month.

If it was _really_ cool it would tilt down and pivot in.

RS6-4dr911
January 25th, 2010, 04:19
Allright ya assholes. I'm going to drive with outside mirror out and p
flip it back in while parking for a month.

That's a good boy.

basso
January 26th, 2010, 13:08
I tried that right now as I really want this option, i love it and i used to have in my BMW. But it didn't work for me :( ,, no idea why!!! I've tried putting the adjustment knob turned to right/ center/ left all did not work for me. Is it possible to enable it via VAG? i love to have this option. By the way, i also don't have the option of automatically folding mirrors. only adjusting the mirrors but not closing or opening.

Hi does your car have memory seats? that could be the issue if you dont.

vangelis
January 26th, 2010, 17:48
Hi does your car have memory seats? that could be the issue if you dont.

No, mine does not have memory seats as I have euro recaro seats. but what is the relation??

basso
January 26th, 2010, 19:09
I'm thinking it might be part of a package memory seatn tilt mirror could be wrong does your manual say anything about having it?

topcat_92
January 26th, 2010, 23:04
Spy shot..

http://www.showyourmedia.com/files/1262884274.jpg

hahn, your RS sits nicely with the new suspension. Haven't seen any pics since the upgrade.

MaxRS6
January 26th, 2010, 23:07
^^ + 1 ^^

I'd like to see a better picture of the new setup.

hahnmgh63
January 27th, 2010, 01:53
I'll take some pics tomorrow. I'm happy with it and with up to 4 in the car driving normally there is no rubbing or with two in the car driving aggressively but I think I may raise it by 1/8~1/4" anyways. Most roads down by where I live are pretty good but after driving up in Seattle I would like to have slighly better ground clearance for a piece of mind.

bruce
January 27th, 2010, 21:54
A look at the ETKA does show 4 different suffix's on the part # for each mirror side so there must be a difference, but 4? A list an Aluminum Matte choice for each of the different part #'s so something internal, and this is for the mirror assembly, not the glass as we know there are at least 4 different glass choices out there.

In looking at the part numbers for the A6 series, there was a different mirror motor for the following:

- left side with memory seats
- left side without memory seats
- right side with memory seats
- right side without memory seats

maybe those are the 4 you found?

I didn't see ANY distinction between non folding or folding...hmmnn

eta: after looking some more I found this site www.vagcat.com everyone complains it's out of date, but I think it's perfect for 2003..... It's free, you just have to register for the forums....