PDA

View Full Version : CT Damaged RS6 - $13,900

topcat_92
January 21st, 2010, 00:19
Did someone list this previously from a insurance claim? If I remember correctly, the Owner was considering parting it out. I think I PM the Owner on the SE exhaust, but never heard back.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/ctd/1529052097.html

SAFE4NOW
January 21st, 2010, 01:19
" Engine work needed "

I'd ask for more info on that statement alone... LoL

back to the OP

This is not the same car, different " hit "

Steve

skribe
January 21st, 2010, 01:36
Hmm. Could mean a bad coil. Or a cracked block. Or 40 bent valves AND a cracked block. Who knows?

Could be an awesome donor for a US RS6 Avant project. Or the perfect resurrection for a real mechanic. Or could be an engineless hulk.

20k miles... Must have been warehoused? If my carfax acct hadn't just expired, I would run it for y'all. Anyone else have one?

JRS-RS6
January 21st, 2010, 02:14
This car was on Autotrader for $14,900 for a while. " Engine work needed " is pretty generic so details would be nice.

mmaturo
January 21st, 2010, 06:56
This car was on Autotrader for $14,900 for a while. " Engine work needed " is pretty generic so details would be nice.

"Everything in front of the engine" work needed in my opinion. Looks like they ran that hard right into and over a high curb...so who knows what the underside looks like (oil pan left?) or how the suspension really took it. They didn't rear end anything obviously as the hood is untouched.

ttboost
January 21st, 2010, 15:51
I saw this too. Based on the fact that I don't like those people, I would never consider it. The engine thing is scary. I'm not sure you could even part it out and get your money back. These people "specialize" in water cars and stuff like this. They usually know ZERO history on a car, other than what the title says, IF they even have the title. I went to check out a car one time and I stood there in the showroom like an idiot for 15 minutes while the knucklehead in the showroom sat behind a desk (with his feet up on the desk) sat and stared at me while he was bullsh*tting on the phone with his buddy, (Yes everyone could hear his conversation). Pissed me off, I left and have never been back...

eurotunedrs6
January 21st, 2010, 18:40
It doesnt seem like the engine can have that much damage, but obviously there could be a lot more than meets the eye. I think the price is a steep personally. At least the car has the full interior, wheels/brakes, and a lot of good body part (at least appear to be). Why the hell did they take the RS6 badge of though...that's odd. RS6 avant swap would be sick though.

ttboost
January 21st, 2010, 18:45
I think everyone is overlooking the fact that it is a THEFT recovery. You have NO IDEA what was done to this poor car. It could've purposely been run out of oil! Imagine the daily and nightly abuse this high performance car took at the hands of an idiot...While it seems like a smokin deal at 13-14k. You never know what hides beneath. For another 10K, you can find one with high miles that at least you know the history. I don't think you'd EVER get a warranty on a salvage car.

skribe
January 21st, 2010, 18:47
i think mmaturo called it. which could mean the oil pan ripped off. which could mean the engine is one solid seized hunk of metal.

you have think if it was fixable, somebody would have fixed it by now.

ttboost
January 21st, 2010, 18:50
i think mmaturo called it. which could mean the oil pan ripped off. which could mean the engine is one solid seized hunk of metal.

you have think if it was fixable, somebody would have fixed it by now.

Kinda my point. I think the interior is mint and the rear of the body......For $10K it would make a great parts car...

I'll try to go check it out right now...

ttboost
January 21st, 2010, 19:58
K. back...was told it turns over, but makes a noise, didn't try it. Mileage is 20,828. From a "laying on the ground and scoping it out" point of view, intercoolers, piping, oil lines etc, all look good under the front of the car. Can't see any real obvious damage or leaks. Both front qtrs are hurt. Hood has a pretty good ding on the top about 4-6 inches long very close to the edge by the grill. Maybe scratchless dent repair could get most of it? All of the glass looked good. Interior is very, very nice. No rips in the leather, carpets look good too. Even still smells new. I know that these are interference motors, but maybe some of you engine guys know if it's possible if something could "come undone" on these motors that isn't really serious that would make a noise? If this isn't the case, the motor has to come out. The guy said no one recalls if the car came in with no oil in it, or it was drained when they got it. Not sure what that means? Seems like something you would remember with a car like this?
Paperwork-wise, depending on the state, it likely would be a Salvage as the insurance company owns it. I have the salesman's card with his name etc...
Thats my report..any questions?:hihi:

uncfrk
January 21st, 2010, 22:43
ran over a curb or something with an "on loan" R8 not too long ago. The motor was trashed and had to be replaced. I would consider the drive train at no value when trying to purchase this car. My $.02

ttboost
January 21st, 2010, 22:46
ran over a curb or something with an "on loan" R8 not too long ago. The motor was trashed and had to be replaced. I would consider the drive train at no value when trying to purchase this car. My $.02

I would absolutely proceed with that assumption, anything less would be a bonus. Like everyone else is wondering, is it still a value at $12K-$14k? Can you buy a crate motor or a junk yard special/takeout for reasonable?

JRS-RS6
January 22nd, 2010, 03:17
It doesnt seem like the engine can have that much damage, but obviously there could be a lot more than meets the eye. I think the price is a steep personally. At least the car has the full interior, wheels/brakes, and a lot of good body part (at least appear to be). Why the hell did they take the RS6 badge of though...that's odd. RS6 avant swap would be sick though.

ttboost called it -- this is a Theft Recovery. The badges were stolen so someone could have them on their shelf to boast about "that hot car I destroyed".:vgrumpy:

eurotunedrs6
January 22nd, 2010, 04:53
I guess I should have read more about the car....and by that I mean look at anything else but the pictures and pricetag. Dont you need the key to steal the car(to drive off with it anyways)?

ben916
January 22nd, 2010, 07:08
K. back...was told it turns over, but makes a noise, didn't try it. Mileage is 20,828. From a "laying on the ground and scoping it out" point of view, intercoolers, piping, oil lines etc, all look good under the front of the car. Can't see any real obvious damage or leaks. Both front qtrs are hurt. Hood has a pretty good ding on the top about 4-6 inches long very close to the edge by the grill. Maybe scratchless dent repair could get most of it? All of the glass looked good. Interior is very, very nice. No rips in the leather, carpets look good too. Even still smells new. I know that these are interference motors, but maybe some of you engine guys know if it's possible if something could "come undone" on these motors that isn't really serious that would make a noise? If this isn't the case, the motor has to come out. The guy said no one recalls if the car came in with no oil in it, or it was drained when they got it. Not sure what that means? Seems like something you would remember with a car like this?
Paperwork-wise, depending on the state, it likely would be a Salvage as the insurance company owns it. I have the salesman's card with his name etc...
Thats my report..any questions?:hihi:

I think you should steer clear of that car as, to me, it looks like the entire car is bent.

Case in point: Look at the gaps between the rear 1/4's and the trunk - way off. It looks like frame damage.

It just looks like alot of problems and these guys are banking on a rare car and that someone is gonna fall hook-line-sinker...

MY $.02

Jimmy
January 22nd, 2010, 14:52
I've seen it in person also ...and I ran away.

Shame on whomever ruined that car :nono:

ttboost
January 22nd, 2010, 14:56
I've seen it in person also ...and I ran away.

Shame on whomever ruined that car :nono:

Hey, Jim. I looked at it yesterday and might go back today as my buddy wants to see it. Too hurt for me...perfect colors though...that black interior is hard to find!!!

Jimmy
January 22nd, 2010, 15:14
Yo Mike

Yep, the black inside is pretty cool....but kinda pedestrian (to me)...with that said, I wish I had it as I see my silver inside being destroyed by me 4 and 6 year old soon enough.:doh:

Yer bud wants to see it? Why? Is he interested? By the time one is done fixing it up...I would think you can buy a really nice one without the whole ruined title/value issues.

Track car possibly ? Why not... :0:

lowered97a4
January 23rd, 2010, 20:12
i also checked this car out i talked to the owner about it he said when they got it in 2yrs ago they started it up it ran then just stopped he said it seized up. they drained the oil for some reason they wouldnt put oil in it i wanted to see what the motor would sound like they didnt want to do more damage, but its already messed up i bet. he wants that much because he said he baught it like that for 35,000 2-3 yrs ago and took a 20,000 write off on it and wants to make the rest back good luck

R1
January 23rd, 2010, 22:52
hard to believe why they would not add or put oil in the engine, they're hiding something and they won't tell

ttboost
January 23rd, 2010, 23:00
hard to believe why they would not add or put oil in the engine, they're hiding something and they won't tell

My guess. Insurance scam. No one has been allowed to turn the motor over, and then there's the oil thing. Someone just might get a running car for $14k. I'm betting the radiator bracket is rubbing a pulley and making a clinking sound and they think it is a bad motor. and they think it is the motor. Probably still cost $10-$15k to fix the front, including paint, new fenders, hood etc...

JRS-RS6
January 23rd, 2010, 23:11
My guess. Insurance scam. No one has been allowed to turn the motor over, and then there's the oil thing. Someone just might get a running car for $14k. I'm betting the radiator bracket is rubbing a pulley and making a clinking sound and they think it is a bad motor. and they think it is the motor. Probably still cost $10-$15k to fix the front, including paint, new fenders, hood etc...

If that is true then it would cost just under $30K for an RS6 that now has a salvage title and half the resale value with a lot of potentially missing damage just waiting to show its ugly head and no possibility of getting an extended warranty.

This would still not be a good buy at that price seeing as there are several RS6s recently with nominally the same mileage in the mid to upper $30K range and a clean Carfax/title.

ttboost
January 23rd, 2010, 23:14
If that is true then it would cost just under $30K for an RS6 that now has a salvage title and half the resale value with a lot of potentially missing damage just waiting to show its ugly head and no possibility of getting an extended warranty.

This would still not be a good buy at that price seeing as there are several RS6s recently with nominally the same mileage in the mid to upper $30K range and a clean Carfax/title.

Exactly why people "in the know" aren't flocking in with their checkbooks. I think it would be worth $10k or so for a parts car, but they likely won't let it go for that.

Jimmy
January 24th, 2010, 21:13
Hopefully everyone 'gets' it now. :) Dead soldier.

What's that near perfect black interior worth? 5 grand? more maybe? I agree, 10 grand would seem fair market value for the whole sad fudgebag, as parts.

I'm surprised no Audi tech had taken and fixed it up actually, especially around here. Has it been around for that long? 2 years? I know I noticed it locally last year around this time. Anyway...:vhmmm: