PDA

View Full Version : Question re: 55k service

GBG
January 20th, 2010, 22:30
The service manual describes the service items pretty well. But I'd like to start putting my expensive warranty to work... can one of you experts post a list of items that typically need replacement at or around 55k? I'd like to ask my mechanic to look at these items in addition to the items in the manual. Thanks!

SAFE4NOW
January 21st, 2010, 01:32
I'll start the list that is sure to grow...

1. The entire front suspension ( links, bushings, ball joints )
2. Intercoolers ( Right and Left )
3. Valve Cover Gaskets ( Right and Left )
4. Inner and Outer CV Boots

I'll leave some for the others, but all of the above have been replaced at least once by now... some more than once...

Good Luck
( I'll post some pixs tomorrow )

Steve

GBG
January 21st, 2010, 03:19

I'll leave some for the others, but all of the above have been replaced at least once by now... some more than once...

Good Luck

Steve
Thanks Steve, this is very helpful.

MaxRS6
January 21st, 2010, 04:19
You might ask for them to check turbos (I don't know the procedure and it may be too involved of a process), cam seals, and cam adjuster- I don't recall anyone having an issue with them at 55K. However; my turbos went out at 75K. Steve has given a pretty good laundry list along with the normal 55K checkup.

mmaturo
January 21st, 2010, 06:39

Good Luck

Steve

EXACTLY what i would have said as all went on my car (again) at around that mileage, except the intercoolers...two of the few still original parts in my car. I have had all control arms, links and stabilizer bar replaced twice since. And same as the valve covers leaking pop off the face over the timing belt as the rollers leak too. Obviously check the good ol DRC shocks for signs of leaking.

MaxRS6
January 21st, 2010, 12:28
As Mark says- check the DRC. I would personally observe the system looking for oil leaks and not rely just on the techs. Do the bounce test as others have described previously.

Then, I would take the wheels off and do an eyes on inspection- if possible up on a rack. Even better if they will allow you into the shop area as they do the 55K service for the visual inspection. The oil leaks and some other items can be seen even by the untrained eyes such as mine.

I'm not saying your techs, but some will just gloss over the inspection and just do the "easy" regular maintenance items.

Enjoy the days!

GBG
January 22nd, 2010, 04:13
Thanks guys. :applause: I will have tech look at all of these... :mech:

GBG
January 25th, 2010, 22:15
As a follow up...

I asked my shop (not a dealership) to look at all the items you guys raised (plus the standard 55k items). Here is the list the shop came back with:

Replace rotted vacuum hoses in engine compartment
Replace seeping valve cover gaskets and cam adjuster gaskets
Replace cracking accessory belt
Replace cracking front outer CV joint boot
Oil leaking by front crankshaft pulley
Perform brake fluid flush
Replace right front upper forward most control arm
Replace left front upper forward most control arm
Perform coolant flush/Thermostat replacement.
Replace front axle oil.
Replace transmission fluid and filter.
Replace rear axle oil.

:bigeyes:

Jeez, I hope most of this stuff is covered by my warranty! :deal:

Benman
January 26th, 2010, 00:06
As a follow up...

I asked my shop (not a dealership) to look at all the items you guys raised (plus the standard 55k items). Here is the list the shop came back with:

Replace front axle oil.
Replace rear axle oil.

Good NIGHT!!!!!!

That is just insane IMHO that any Audi should have that much needed work done by55K!!! I drove the SNOT out of my commuter Accord, and after 170K had just an alternator belt (130K), motor mounts (115K) and battery needed (90K).

DayUM!

Ben:addict:

DHall1
January 26th, 2010, 07:37
This list is a crock. .02c

Most of those items do not need to be done and most of the items are not covered by warranty.

VC gaskets seep at 10k miles. Wait till they are really leaking....the engine needs to come out for them.

Oil leak from crankshaft pulley seal. A small bit is ok but if there is a oil spot or leak then it needs replaced. Mine had some signs at 30k.

Coolant flush and thermostat. These guys/gals are idiots. You need to remove the whole front of the engine to repace the thermostat. Better check the owner of the shop...I think his kids need college money.

Axle oil. NO

Trans....its a 50/50 deal. Read the threads on it.

Control arms....yes

Cracking serp belt...and c/v. No no

As a follow up...

Replace front axle oil.
Replace rear axle oil.

GBG
January 28th, 2010, 02:53
Dave,

Thanks for the post-- appreciate the input. I talked to my tech guys about all of the items; in the end, I am sucker and got guilted into doing it all. :doh: On many of the items I know that could've waited until the condition/issue got worse, but to be honest I'd rather put the money in the car now (at 55k) rather than later at 75k or 100k. I don't plan on selling the car-- it's not worth enough to sell-- so why not take care of future problems... today. :0:

As you said, most of items were not covered by warranty, so I have a lighter pocket but will drive with peace of mind. :incar:

Gary

DHall1
January 28th, 2010, 05:52
Your keeping the car...so fire away.

Did your wheels ship yet?

GBG
January 29th, 2010, 03:24
Yes, shipped two days ago-- I'm waiting... Are yours on your car? Pics?