PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Calibration

RS6NZ
January 20th, 2010, 02:41
Happy New Year from down under, forumites.

This one is not a big problem but it still bugs me.

In our world of dodgy TCs, DRCs, and various other 'features and benefits' of our beloved beasts, I was wondering if anyone else has a fuel gauge that is wildly out in its calibration, and if so, whether there is any fix possible. Disclaimer: yes I have done a search but nothing really showed up.

For my regular driving, I get around 315 miles (500 km) per tank of gas. Through trial and error, I've noticed that when the gauge reads 1/2 full (or empty depending on whether you are a pessimist or an optimist :hihi:) in reality the tank is only 1/4 full (22L or 4ish US gal). To put it another way, according to the gauge, I get 220 miles (350km) in the first 1/2 of the tank and 95 miles (150 km) from the second 1/2).

It seems to me that either the tank sensor, or the gauge, isn't calibrated right. Has anyone experienced this and does anyone know of a fix.

I have to say this is not exactly something that keeps me awake at night, more an item of curiosity.

Since I've got 90k miles on the clock with original TC and DRC, I do worry about the forthcoming arrival of a CEL and/or oily suspension at some stage in the future! That does keep me awake at nights... :vgrumpy:

mmaturo
January 20th, 2010, 06:38
Living this now. Mine was perfect for over 4 years, then with last engine/tranny drop earlier this year my gas gauge has since been off as you describe. Well they replaced my gauge cluster...no difference...actual worse till i figured out you need to reset the trip computer to track consumption/mileage left correctly (or better anyway). So that didn't help....they then replaced the fuel sensor and I think consequently the tank...twice. Nope, zero difference. They couldn't fix it. After 1/2 a tank i really have a guess at what is really left. Its more accurate on the highway for some reason.

So no fix other than maybe getting lucky that the new parts actually work. I am annoyed as mine was perfect till they did who knows what tearing down and putting my car back together.