PDA

View Full Version : Help on Trainee Program

JavierNuvolari
January 14th, 2010, 13:46
Friends:
My boss asked about two weeks ago to start looking for a trainee program(build a trainee program) basically to bring professional knowledge to the company at the same time we train these guys with the knowledge necessary to work in the business. I've looked over the internet without a positive result so, since here we can find some very interesting characters, I was wondering if one of you could give me a hand on where I could fin useful information fo build a 12 month program with people that just graduated from University....perhaps share your experiences, what do you guys recommend, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Saludos!

Javier

JRS-RS6
January 14th, 2010, 15:42
More specifics would help. Training for what business?

JavierNuvolari
January 14th, 2010, 16:09
More specifics would help. Training for what business?

Auto spare parts, we need to build a trainee program that allows us to succesfully integrate into the purchase office someone with professional knowledge as well as in other areas(Finance, and store management).

Thanks man.

Benman
January 14th, 2010, 23:11
Auto spare parts, we need to build a trainee program that allows us to succesfully integrate into the purchase office someone with professional knowledge as well as in other areas(Finance, and store management).

Thanks man.

Might be completely different down your way, but may want to focus on vocational/trade schools for students in that industry. As being someone in the auto repair industry, I can say (like all businesses), it is hard to find good help these days. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

JavierNuvolari
January 15th, 2010, 14:33
Might be completely different down your way, but may want to focus on vocational/trade schools for students in that industry. As being someone in the auto repair industry, I can say (like all businesses), it is hard to find good help these days. :cheers:

It is quite hard to find good help these days, you're certain about that Ben. I had plans to go to talk to a career dean in order to perhaps have access to some quality students and pay for a portion of their career while they work part time in the trainee program...dunno, I'm still giving it much though. I want this to work in the long term...I certainly don't want to train someone to have him snatched by another company once the trainee program ends.

Thanks for you input Ben:cheers:.

Saludos.

Benman
January 15th, 2010, 18:11
I certainly don't want to train someone to have him snatched by another company once the trainee program ends.

LOL! Welcome to corporate world!

Our company (and my guess, many others as well) ALWAYS struggles with that! You put in considerable time and manpower to train someone to get him "up to snuff" with how your company does things, only for them to immediate want a pay raise. Of course, if your company is not in a position to turn around and fork out more money right then, of course, then they are free to go out and look for better offers since they are now worth more (of course they are since they had "free TO THEM, but NOT free to YOU" training!).

Ahh... such is life. :D

On the plus side, we have several employees that have been with us for over 10 years and a bunch more coming up on 10, so for the most part, we do ok, but I feel you, it is a constant struggle.

And just ask gjg about work conditions in Czech! Man, we have it GOOD in CA! :D

Ben

JavierNuvolari
January 18th, 2010, 18:58
LOL! Welcome to corporate world!

Our company (and my guess, many others as well) ALWAYS struggles with that! You put in considerable time and manpower to train someone to get him "up to snuff" with how your company does things, only for them to immediate want a pay raise. Of course, if your company is not in a position to turn around and fork out more money right then, of course, then they are free to go out and look for better offers since they are now worth more (of course they are since they had "free TO THEM, but NOT free to YOU" training!).

Ahh... such is life. :D

On the plus side, we have several employees that have been with us for over 10 years and a bunch more coming up on 10, so for the most part, we do ok, but I feel you, it is a constant struggle.

And just ask gjg about work conditions in Czech! Man, we have it GOOD in CA! :D

Ben

Hahaha, yeah corporate world. I am toying with the idea of having the trainee sing a contract with a special clause that emphasizes that after the training he has to work no less than 2 years on the company, if he resings he looses all benefits if he was to be fired, also, if he leaves the company by any means(fired or voluntary resignation) he cannot work on the same industry...but then again you have labour laws and shit.

Would it be okay to contact you for input Ben?

Saludos,

Javier

Benman
January 18th, 2010, 19:00
...but then again you have labour laws and shit.

Would it be okay to contact you for input Ben?

Saludos,

Javier

Labor laws! LOL! Yeah, that would NOT fly in CA! :D

Of course, I will PM you my email. :)

Best,

JavierNuvolari
January 18th, 2010, 19:04
Thanks man ;)

Saludos,

Javier

MaxRS6
January 18th, 2010, 19:26
I have run across this issue on almost every one of my wide variety of clients in all types of organizations. Personnel issues are obviously of concern to all industries.

There are always extended vesting times, extended stock options, and of course keeping a great environment. I've found that while the compensation is a strong and influential factor, the environment itself such as the people, the supervisory methodologies, communication, and flexibility to meet individual needs (kid care, time to care for elderly parents, work schedules, etc.) can mean a lot to keeping personnel for the long run.

My less than .03 worth

Edit:

To add-
When I was recruited as a junior in college by Ernst & Young to be an intern- I accepted minimum wage. Why did I accept this low pay?

I was very interested in "learning my trade". My reasoning went as- I was paying the college to be trained- and here was Ernst willing to pay me as I was trained.

I mention this for you to consider for recruiting interns. If someone comes in for a intern position wanting "full-time" pay, they may not be the right candidate. Someone willing to accept a minimal wage may be the one that is "hungry" to learn their trade, and may be more appreciative of the opportunity being provided.

I know you state above that you want this to be for recent graduates. However; you might want to consider going to the local colleges, and discuss with the department heads creating an intern program for students nearing graduation. You might be able to find some good bang for the buck and allows you weed out the "weak" ones before providing them a full-time position. Utilizing students that are still in school obviously require some work scheduling flexibility and the headaches may not be worth it depending upon your circumstances.

Benman
January 18th, 2010, 19:34
Max, great inputs, so true, so true...