PDA

View Full Version : TCU performance and longevity questions

4everRS
January 13th, 2010, 23:47
I have filtered through a number of threads on a TCU chip. I am looking for information from current owners with chips or have had/heard expirences with these chips.
It the shifting 'harder' than stock?
What does the 'butt dyno' say about it?

And my last question is about longevity of the chipped trans. and TC. I have heard and read speculation that seem to suggest that the trans will actually have longer life with one of these chips. Or should I say the TC could last longer. Is this true? This idea revolved around the idea that the chip is causing pressure to be added to the TC sooner/faster and thus less slipping.

I am considering a TCU chip from MTM, but if the any of the statements above are incorrect, it is staying stock.

RS6-4dr911
January 14th, 2010, 00:11
I've got it in mine, stock otherwise. I can definitely tell the difference, but it is in no way harsh (the way my old high-school Camaro was when I did the B&M shift kit, mainly so I could chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift). It mainly just responds crisply the way you would expect a car of this performance level to shift. When getting on it 60% or more in D or S and using the paddles, the shifts happen quickly with no slamming.

The theory behind the life extension resulting from this has been well covered in other posts, definitely glad I did it even stock, if I ever do the ECU, I'll sleep better knowing I did.

RS6Steve
January 14th, 2010, 01:22
TCU is a must if you also do the ECU? I don't know anyone in the UK who just has there TCU done.

The major limiting factor on the AT is the TC, to much torque and it will be ......

MTM are well established tuners and there tuning is spot on, there is a guy in the uk has a full MTM programme set and I even think his warranty company cover it :).

You can also on New audi's over here pay for the MTM upgrade option I believe fully covered by Audi. Somebody may correct me on this...?

RS6-4dr911
January 14th, 2010, 02:32
Most people will tell you not to do the ECU without also doing the TCU. I'd be willing to bet there are some UK owners that have done TCU only, plenty over here that have, there is no reason not to and improving shift time's helps the clutch plates.

The TC is a weak link but no reason not help the clutch plates in tranny itself as well.

Spidercat
January 14th, 2010, 02:50
^^^What they said!
Summary:

Did it.
Love it.
No issues after about year or so.
Best $100 RS6 mod by far. (I've talked about it way too much on other threads)

vangelis
January 14th, 2010, 06:39
^^^What they said!
Summary:

Did it.
Love it.
No issues after about year or so.
Best $100 RS6 mod by far. (I've talked about it way too much on other threads)

How you guys did it for $100?? Where can I get the same price for MTM TCU?? I got a lot of quots with v high prices!!

paul_23
January 14th, 2010, 08:07
Go on MTM USA site and they quote USD150 for the TCU.

snoopra
January 14th, 2010, 11:52
I did mine Jan '09 for $125USD. This mod is a MUST! Shifts are now smooth and swift yet firm. No more "lazy" gear changes. Less slip=Less wear on TC and Trans clutches.
.02 verified

vangelis
January 14th, 2010, 12:08
I did mine Jan '09 for $125USD. This mod is a MUST! Shifts are now smooth and swift yet firm. No more "lazy" gear changes. Less slip=Less wear on TC and Trans clutches.
.02 verified

I'm sure it will give more smooth and swift yet firm shifts. But how less slip? I believe this up to TC and clutches whether they working fine or damaged!! am i right? please correct me

I have ABT ECU remap, is it possible to have TCU remapped by MTM and keep ECU same with ABT? or recommended to have them both remapped with same vendor?

snoopra
January 14th, 2010, 13:02
vangelis,
Quicker shifts reduces slipping. Why would you want to remap if you already have ABT?

RS6Steve
January 14th, 2010, 15:46
Thats silly cheap, costs us nearly 4 times that.....

vangelis
January 14th, 2010, 18:17
vangelis,
Quicker shifts reduces slipping. Why would you want to remap if you already have ABT?

ABT does remap ECUs only, they don't have TCU map.

RS6-4dr911
January 14th, 2010, 19:04
I'm sure it will give more smooth and swift yet firm shifts. But how less slip? I believe this up to TC and clutches whether they working fine or damaged!! am i right? please correct me

I have ABT ECU remap, is it possible to have TCU remapped by MTM and keep ECU same with ABT? or recommended to have them both remapped with same vendor?

Yes, as I understand it, you don't necessarily need the TCU and ECU to be remapped by the same tuner, although it may be preferred so you can have the ABT ECU and the MTM TCU. I had the MTM TCU already done while trying the Revo trial, no conflicts.

The way it affects slippage is, it is the TCU that tells the tranny how fast to switch gears, how fast and when to open the TC locking, and how fast and when to provide pressure to the clutch plates. All of this when sped up reduces slippage which of course reduces wear and tear. You are correct that it will have no affect on the ultimate amount of pressure applied to the clutch plates or TC lockup, just how fast it transitions.

Someone correct me if I'm off base here.

vangelis
January 14th, 2010, 19:21
Yes, as I understand it, you don't necessarily need the TCU and ECU to be remapped by the same tuner, although it may be preferred so you can have the ABT ECU and the MTM TCU. I had the MTM TCU already done while trying the Revo trial, no conflicts.

The way it affects slippage is, it is the TCU that tells the tranny how fast to switch gears, how fast and when to open the TC locking, and how fast and when to provide pressure to the clutch plates. All of this when sped up reduces slippage which of course reduces wear and tear. You are correct that it will have no affect on the ultimate amount of pressure applied to the clutch plates or TC lockup, just how fast it transitions.

Someone correct me if I'm off base here.

Make sense, thanks :)

4everRS
January 18th, 2010, 20:07
Thanks for the responses.

It sounds like it doesn't make sense NOT to do this. Even with a stock ecu. My trans is stock with almost 76k miles. This spring I will be doing a 'trans service' - new Mercon 5 fluid Tozo recommends and the lucas additive Innovator has mentioned. Of course sending the TCU to Hoppen for the chip. I want to do everything I can to reduce potential damage in the future.

Absolutely a WEALTH of knowledge on this forum.

xpl0sive
January 18th, 2010, 20:35
anyone got the link for the $125 TCU chip? I went on the MTM website and could only find the ECU chips... i tried emailing them, but no response...

uncfrk
January 18th, 2010, 21:18
http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/RS6_C5.htm

paul_23
January 18th, 2010, 21:30
I just had an MTM ECU remap and got the MTM TCU done 2 weeks after the ECU. The remap TCU makes a big difference and strongly recommended - smoother, doesn't hunt in 3-4-5th gears and better tiptronic shifts.

LIRS6
January 18th, 2010, 22:12
Wondering if a TCU chip would be detected by Vag-com, and if, consequently, that would render a warranty (Fidelity) void .. anyone have any experience?

I just thinking about chipping the TCU (MTM) - will leave the ECU alone.

O.CT USA
January 20th, 2010, 16:20
O.CT has a TCU chip as well. We will install it to your 156 FL (USA Model) It raises the threshold to 500 lb ft. This keeps your Trans safe. A-L file change speeds up shifting. It does so non-violently. Price is $ 180.00- Bob (585) 742 9310

MaxRS6
January 20th, 2010, 16:28
Hey there Bob! The downpipes rock and I am going to have the OCT TCU chip put in my car soon. I"m just waiting for an opportune down time that seems to come up regularly.

I appreciate all the help and questions you have answered for me.

eurotunedrs6
January 20th, 2010, 22:51
Wondering if a TCU chip would be detected by Vag-com, and if, consequently, that would render a warranty (Fidelity) void .. anyone have any experience?

I just thinking about chipping the TCU (MTM) - will leave the ECU alone.

any answers to this question and warranties?

hahnmgh63
January 20th, 2010, 23:26
I've looked at my TCU many times with Vagcom and can't see the MTM chip so I'm not sure the dealer could tell unless they removed the TCU and opened it up as the TCU is a chip change and not just a software reflash but I don't think you would ever find a dealer that would open a TCU.