PDA

View Full Version : Wheel hanger-

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 03:03
With all the talk of jacking up cars and doing service, I found this aluminum wheel hanger works well (the plastic one provided with the car has a tendency to break). It makes putting the wheel back on much easier with my less than stellar mechanical skills. I can't take credit as JP4 recommended this to me when I went to the Daytona DE in 12/08

http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=2467

http://www.purems.com/images/datapage/WH1415_dp.jpg

DHall1
January 10th, 2010, 04:28
There is a plastic one?

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 04:29
There is a plastic one?

other items to change a tire with.

DHall1
January 10th, 2010, 04:35
I never touch those tools

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 04:36
Here is a pic

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/PIC_0550.jpg?t=1263096971

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 04:39

as I'm sure you know, and the other items aren't much help either. Of course the air compressor certainly comes in handy when the spare needs air and you are stranded in BFE.

V8weight
January 10th, 2010, 04:43
+1, I removed the spare tire, portable compressor, and tool kit and stashed them in the garden shed. It made for a nice weight savings, and honestly, too many people get killed up here every year trying to change a tire on the freeway. If I get a flat I'll just call a flat bed.

DHall1
January 10th, 2010, 04:45
I just stick my finger in the wheel stud hole and line up the holes. Takes 2 seconds. It would take 5 minutes to dig that plastic gizmo out every time.

That said, my wife's E55 has no spare tire. You should have been here when she found out there was no spare tire. The king of the house was a queen for a weekend. AMG did pack a can of fixoflat back there. It even has a AMG sticker on it. That didnt help the queen.

Look honey a nice can of fix o flat. LOL You can fill in the rest. Still waiting for the day she has a flat tire. I got a hole out back to crawl into.

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 04:48
That is why I keep the aluminum one on the garage shelf for easy access. I also had $14 I wanted to energize the economy with. It saved 4.2 million jobs by my calculation using the current methodology of the stimulus analysis. :)

V8weight
January 10th, 2010, 04:54
That is why I keep the aluminum one on the garage shelf for easy access. I also had $14 I wanted to energize the economy with. It saved 4.2 million jobs by my calculation using the current methodology of the stimulus analysis. :)
I know people say this all the time, but I just laughed out loud. Of coarse, I have been out cleaning my car all night and have had, well, all of my beer. That hanger probably isn't a terrible idea. I can admit it. I was putting my wheels back on one day and I lined up the lug holes and reached behind me to grab a lug bolt when the wheel suddenly slipped off of the hub-centric ring and fell off. In the process the rotor knocked one of the stick-on wheel weights off. The next day I had to go and get it rebalanced.

GEN XER
January 10th, 2010, 04:55
I just stick my finger in the wheel stud hole and line up the holes. Takes 2 seconds. It would take 5 minutes to dig that plastic gizmo out every time.

That said, my wife's E55 has no spare tire. You should have been here when she found out there was no spare tire. The king of the house was a queen for a weekend. AMG did pack a can of fixoflat back there. It even has a AMG sticker on it. That didnt help the queen.

Look honey a nice can of fix o flat. LOL You can fill in the rest. Still waiting for the day she has a flat tire. I got a hole out back to crawl into.

I know how that feels. I had to tell my wife the nearly 40K SRT8 had no spare tire. Jeez that was just awful as you already know.

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 04:56

for that update. "No rice 4 you!"

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 04:58
I have been out cleaning my car all night and have had, well, all of my beer.

a vicious Ping Pong match with "the boys"- Burp

V8weight
January 10th, 2010, 05:00
a vicious Ping Pong match with "the boys"- Burp
I just had a mental image of Forest Gump.

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 05:13
I'm pretty sure a couple of us thought we were that good after being fully immersed in the brew..

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 05:43
+1, I removed ... and tool kit and stashed them in the garden shed.

be sure to take the tow ring (in the tool kit) with you. Some of the tracks want you to have it on during the runs. Its not like I'm some sort of track expert- I've only attended a few but thought I would mention it.

V8weight
January 10th, 2010, 05:52
be sure to take the tow ring (in the tool kit) with you. Some of the tracks want you to have it on during the runs. Its not like I'm some sort of track expert- I've only attended a few but thought I would mention it.
Ah, good idea. Come to think of it, I'd have alot of trouble getting up on a flat bed in the event of a flat without it. Shows the extent of my planning skills.

JRS-RS6
January 10th, 2010, 05:56
I ordered the same thing here: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Tools/Wheel_Tire/ES4135/ -- same price too.

Amulet-S6
January 10th, 2010, 06:02
+1, I removed the spare tire, portable compressor, and tool kit and stashed them in the garden shed. It made for a nice weight savings, and honestly, too many people get killed up here every year trying to change a tire on the freeway. If I get a flat I'll just call a flat bed.

That's actually a very good thought. I think I'll loose some weight in the beast tomorrow. Thanks!
Bought two of the aluminum hangers. Guaranteed, I'll loose at least one at my first track event.

And a Belated Happy New Year to everyone!

Jim
Kansas City.

Just pulled into the garage. Temp guage said it was -4 F outside... Brrrr

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2010, 15:18
I can admit it. I was putting my wheels back on one day and I lined up the lug holes and reached behind me to grab a lug bolt when the wheel suddenly slipped off of the hub-centric ring and fell off. In the process the rotor knocked one of the stick-on wheel weights off. The next day I had to go and get it rebalanced.

I only had the car for about 6 months when I was taking daughter to school. Flat tire on the way and I pull into parking lot to change. Only tire block I could find was my golf bag (& clubs) in trunk. I jack it up with the POS jack, get the wheel off- and "BANG". It falls to ground on the front left rotor. Took a couple tow trucks to get it back up and onto the flat bed with my daughter having "Wide Eyes" and a good laff at dad- with a story for why she was late to school that day. I still here about that one.

Haven't made that mistake again. LOL

ttboost
January 10th, 2010, 15:48
That's actually a very good thought. I think I'll loose some weight in the beast tomorrow. Thanks!
Bought two of the aluminum hangers. Guaranteed, I'll loose at least one at my first track event.

And a Belated Happy New Year to everyone!

Jim
Kansas City.

Just pulled into the garage. Temp guage said it was -4 F outside... Brrrr

Yup, removed tools, spare and jack. Installed a AAA card.:lovl:

uncfrk
January 10th, 2010, 21:11
About how much do the tools, spare & jack weight?

s42ski
January 11th, 2010, 19:47
Dhall - I feel your pain - my wife has an SC430 that runs on the POS run flats - I suggested that we could improve the ride by going to standard tires and using cell phone or fix a flat if needed. The reaction I got was amazing....:w:

DHall1
January 11th, 2010, 20:58
Well, between you, me and Bruce...we all have similar taste in vehicles. RS6-check, Lexus LX470-check, AMG-check 2 of 3, SC430-almost(my wife wanted one till we drove it. The cabin has a claustrophobic feeling...esp in black.) Her next car will be the SL55. I cant wait to get my mitts on that one. (Cabin head room was much better on the SL and oh that engine. I cant complain at all about the engine)

And yes, the reaction on the tires was amazing. But she has no choice on the E55. Just wait till she gets a flat. Oh boy.

Funny, since we were in the market for the SC...I do know all about the run flats. My plan was to just change them and not tell her. Oh crap, that would have been ugly. Its best we didnt get one. I can still keep my head.

Funny how Lexus has pretty much lost our business. The new designs are dumb and numb. That company has lost touch.

Dhall - I feel your pain - my wife has an SC430 that runs on the POS run flats - I suggested that we could improve the ride by going to standard tires and using cell phone or fix a flat if needed. The reaction I got was amazing....:w: