PDA

View Full Version : RE: Solar sunroof

SAF
January 9th, 2010, 23:59
It's great on those hot Texas days, but now that it is below freezing all day, I realize the thing is keeping my interior from warming up in the parking lot. It keeps pulling sub-freezing outside air through the car instead of letting it get greenhouse like in there while it sits waiting for me to stumble back in with frozen limbs.

Never really wanted to 99% of the time, but I guess there is no way to turn off the solar powered blower function as long as it is in the sun?

V8weight
January 10th, 2010, 00:45
Agreed, I really like this option about 30% of the year. Fogs up the windows in the spring and fall, and ensures I have the coldest interior in the state in the winter.

SAF
January 10th, 2010, 01:25
LOL, DHall and I were just laughing on the phone about anyone who might live up north and have this unstoppable option.... and here you are!

V8weight
January 10th, 2010, 01:39
LOL, DHall and I were just laughing on the phone about anyone who might live up north and have this unstoppable option.... and here you are!
Ha Ha Ha Ha:nana: Actually the fact that it spews arctic air into my car during the winter isn't half as annoying as when it comes on right after a fain fall and not only fogs up the windows, but they are literally dripping with condensation when I get in the car. Like I said, it's more prominent in the spring and fall. I've thought about just removing it and installing a normal sunroof assembly, the weight savings alone would make it worth while, but honestly it's worth it just to tell people my sunroof is a solar panel.

iconcls
January 10th, 2010, 01:53
I disabled mine by using electrical tape to break the circuit/contact. Stupid option that makes my AC smelly in the Summer and detrimental in Winter.

V8weight
January 10th, 2010, 01:57
I disabled mine by using electrical tape to break the circuit/contact. Stupid option that makes my AC smelly in the Summer and detrimental in Winter.
Oh you mean the contact points in between the glass and the frame? Good thinking, maybe I should do that for all months that aren't July and August.

SAF
January 10th, 2010, 03:00
"Contact points between the glass and the frame"

What frame? I'd love to turn this function off for a month or two, but I absolutely dig it in the summer. In fact, if we weren't currently experiencing the coldest weather we've had in 10 years here, I wouldn't be bothered at all. I love the thing usually.

V8weight
January 10th, 2010, 03:27
"Contact points between the glass and the frame"

What frame? I'd love to turn this function off for a month or two, but I absolutely dig it in the summer. In fact, if we weren't currently experiencing the coldest weather we've had in 10 years here, I wouldn't be bothered at all. I love the thing usually.
I'm sorry, I just tried to take a pic, but my batteries are dead. If you open the sun roof so that it's slid into the roof, then get out and look towards the frontof the opening, you'll see two little bullet shaped shiny things. There's one in each front corner of the sunroof frame. These are the contact points that transfer power from the panel to the relay. As Iconcls said, just apply a piece of electric tape over each contact.

SAF
January 10th, 2010, 03:43
Oh I know those little things. I forgot they were in the front, but that is why it still powers the fans even when you tilt it open in the rear. I guess I could just slide it back an inch or so to break the contact, but then I'd be letting the cold in again. ;)

The tape idea is a great seasonal fix! Thanks!

DHall1
January 10th, 2010, 04:26
When the summer package is installed in hot climate cars.....I would not have mine without it.

AZ summers can bake an egg on the sidewalk.

And the sun shades are just plain cool.

JRS-RS6
January 10th, 2010, 06:18
Ha Ha Ha Ha:nana: Actually the fact that it spews arctic air into my car during the winter isn't half as annoying as when it comes on right after a fain fall and not only fogs up the windows, but they are literally dripping with condensation when I get in the car. Like I said, it's more prominent in the spring and fall. I've thought about just removing it and installing a normal sunroof assembly, the weight savings alone would make it worth while, but honestly it's worth it just to tell people my sunroof is a solar panel.

When I first picked mine up and took it to work to show some coworkers I explained that the car was solar powered when they noticed the panel.

Once I turned the key and took them for a ride I pretty sure they knew I was joking. :jlol:

I noticed the condensation thing after washing it when it was sitting in the garage. But the fan must either be turned off most of the time (not much light in the garage) or pretty quite because otherwise I didn't hear it. I think I am going to have to look at the electrical tape idea when I get home.

vangelis
January 10th, 2010, 06:21
I remember I've read before a trick on how to disable this via VAG, I'm sure. You can check with the dealer, I believe they will be able to do it.

SAF
January 11th, 2010, 00:42
Problem solved with two pieces of tape! It was great to go out and get in the car for the first time today and have it actually be a little warm inside instead of frozen.

Thanks for the tip!

MJR964
January 11th, 2010, 06:26
I'm glad to see other people here also have the warm weather package. I was thinking of asking the group if that condensation on ALL of my windows after a rain was because of that option, now I know for sure. That's why I've been a lurker on here for 2 years...all the questions I had have already been answered.

It's funny how the new Prius has that solar roof as an option that people are really impressed with, but I bet most of those people don't know that Audi started offering solar sunroofs at least ten years ago on the A8.

SAF
January 11th, 2010, 06:44
Thankfully I have never experienced this condensation issue that I am reading about here.

Benman
January 11th, 2010, 18:32

As DHall mentions, this is a MUST HAVE option for us where it is very warm to hot most of the year. Even mid Jan, our week forcast (zip code 92503) will be highs of 72-78F so it is a must for us. I could see how IL, MI, MN, etc... wouldn't make any sense though... :cheers:

Ben:addict:

DHall1
January 11th, 2010, 18:51
Duct tape is the answer for MN, IL, and all the other cold folks.

s42ski
January 11th, 2010, 18:57
Ben, are you rubbing it in ???:lovl:

As DHall mentions, this is a MUST HAVE option for us where it is very warm to hot most of the year. Even mid Jan, our week forcast (zip code 92503) will be highs of 72-78F so it is a must for us. I could see how IL, MI, MN, etc... wouldn't make any sense though... :cheers:

Ben:addict:

ben916
January 11th, 2010, 19:02
Ben, are you rubbing it in ???:lovl:

maybe I can help....

Current conditions: 7-9' waves today and sunny

MaxRS6
January 11th, 2010, 19:29
Darn you Ben as I sit here freezing in AR (zip code 72120)!!! :)

We don't get much wave action in our lakes and ponds. Don't know what I would do with it in any event-except sit on my boat hoping for bikini surfers to come by. :bigeyes: It would be hard to take the ski into those suckers!

Actually, it is suppose to get up to a balmy 40 today (actually could have played golf if I wasn't swamped with work and posting on the forum).

bruce
January 11th, 2010, 20:02
I don't have the solar sunroof, but I still can't believe a car from freezing Germany would have this issue.....sounds very strange..

ben916
January 11th, 2010, 21:06
I don't have the solar sunroof, but I still can't believe a car from freezing Germany would have this issue.....sounds very strange..

+1 i agree...

DHall1
January 11th, 2010, 21:10
Its 70s and sunny again today. Arrrrrgh, I cant get out to talk to a man about little white balls. Arrrrrgh

$22 dollar t time. Missed it. Arrrrgh

grambler
January 11th, 2010, 22:24
To get back on topic a bit :) I just got the info in the german RS-forum that there existed a switch to turn the solar roof of in the RS6 Plus, so no need of taping the roof out of function.
I asked if there's an option to install this switch in standard RS6 too, I'll keep you updated.

SAF
January 11th, 2010, 23:05
To get back on topic a bit :) I just got the info in the german RS-forum that there existed a switch to turn the solar roof of in the RS6 Plus, so no need of taping the roof out of function.
I asked if there's an option to install this switch in standard RS6 too, I'll keep you updated.

So they recognized the issue and addressed it with the Plus model...interesting. Thanks for checking and please do post whatver you hear over there.

JRS-RS6
January 12th, 2010, 01:58
So they recognized the issue and addressed it with the Plus model...interesting. Thanks for checking and please do post whatver you hear over there.

Let us know more when you find out. No duct tape for me -- electrical and hidden maybe but NOT duct tape.:w:

DHall1
January 12th, 2010, 02:16
JRS I was kidding about the duct tape.

Save the duct tape for the race track.

grambler
January 13th, 2010, 11:44
As far as I understood it's a sensor so it appears that there's no switch to turn it manually on or off. I asked for further information on this part and expecting to get the infos this week.
For me it'd be a bit strange to apply some duct tape on a CHF 150k-car for a warmer interior in the winter....

I got another solution for the moment - my solarroof is currently covered with snow so no function right now :)

SAF
January 13th, 2010, 16:08
For me it'd be a bit strange to apply some duct tape on a CHF 150k-car for a warmer interior in the winter....

Exactly my point with this thread. I can't believe the solar venting system has no disable function.

bruce
January 13th, 2010, 18:49
Exactly my point with this thread. I can't believe the solar venting system has no disable function.

Scroll down to post #6

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1115

Maybe that explains it. :doh:

SAF
January 13th, 2010, 23:21
Scroll down to post #6

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1115

Maybe that explains it. :doh:

Nope, it doesn't. :confused:

grambler
January 13th, 2010, 23:36
Actually the sunroof wasn't an exclusive feature for the US, we got this too in Europe.

I got some news on the sensor, what you basically have to do is to install some kind of sensor and wires from the interior at the A-pillar on the right hand side all the way down into the motor compartment. According to the official AUDI-advice this takes about 2.5 hours to install, so depending on your dealer it might be way cheaper with the duct tape :) I should get a price quote for the parts too on friday.

EriCal
January 14th, 2010, 00:01
My 08 S6 controls the solar ventilating function via the MMI.

kismetcapitan
September 2nd, 2011, 07:45
brought back from the dead - is it possible to retrofit a solar sunroof into a car that didn't come with one? I just noticed that the solar sunroofs can be easily had for 100-150 Euros (plus shipping, which won't be cheap)...are all RS6s prewired for the roof?

Styhl
May 4th, 2014, 16:21
Anyone tried running the solar power thru a trickle charger for the battery? If its +/- hook to the wall side of a charger with auto off why wouldn't this work?

lswing
May 4th, 2014, 17:14
Anyone tried running the solar power thru a trickle charger for the battery? If its +/- hook to the wall side of a charger with auto off why wouldn't this work?

I wouldn't think the power supplied from the panel is much at all, it just powers a small fan. Plus the wiring could be a mess, along with Amps/Volts not matching up. I've only put my car on a battery tender when sitting for weeks, and that's with a tiny PC925 battery. Your stock battery getting ready to fail by chance?

Interesting idea though...

Styhl
May 4th, 2014, 17:18
Pretty sure my alternator bearing spun I'm charging at 11v and my batt light is on, so I parked her til I get an alternator or a new bearing for it sorted out

lswing
May 4th, 2014, 17:22
Pretty sure my alternator bearing spun I'm charging at 11v and my batt light is on, so I parked her til I get an alternator or a new bearing for it sorted out

Seems like people have good success with a rebuild, there are a handful of good threads on the labor too.

Styhl
May 4th, 2014, 17:35
Ya I was gonna get an aftermarket from O'Reilly and the rebuild my factory one

kismetcapitan
May 6th, 2014, 20:31
I've got a rebuilt alternator. Didn't even remember until I read this, so it must have been a solid rebuild! Can't remember the exact cost but it was under $200 including labor.