PDA

View Full Version : So, does the solar sun roof work?

andyp
September 2nd, 2003, 23:06
I ordered the warm weather package with my RS6 and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. The manual doesn't say anything and there are no lights that say it's working. My sales person said that it works the heating fans when the inside temp gets above 120 degrees but he was unsure of the details.

Andy

Bauer
September 2nd, 2003, 23:22
Andyp,

When the car is in the sun it runs the fan in the dash which blows air through the car. I always crack my sunroof and leave the windows slightly open. I do notice the car is cooler then our S8 which is the same color when I get in it (it also has warm weather pkg but no solor fan, just shades). I noticed that when I take the keys out of the ignition the fan will run and you can feel the air blow when you put hand next to the vents. I cant cnfirm the temp thing mine seems to run when the car is in the sun....although it has been hot here in NorCal and I have the ebony. I hope this helps.

Bauer

03 RS6
01 S8
92 S4

andyp
September 2nd, 2003, 23:30
Thanks Bauer.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed any fans running but maybe it hasn't got hot enough here in NJ. I also have the ebony.

Andy

john hulbrock
September 2nd, 2003, 23:55
I've had the warm weather pkg. in my A8 with the solar cells and I can tell you it DEFINITLY works well. I can park it in full sun and the temp. stays much cooler than the other cars I have.
JH

Kyle
September 3rd, 2003, 00:57
I really like the solar sunroof on our RS6. And believe me, it gets quite a workout here in Tampa, Florida! :cool2: As others have said, when the interior gets to a certain temperature, and your car is parked in the sun, the climate control fans kick on and bring fresh air into the car. I think it makes a big difference (our A6 does not have this option).

The only negative experience is that it sometimes causes condensation on the inside of the window. This is mainly because our climate control system seems to direct air to the windshield all the time. We'll have the car nice and chilly inside. Then, we'll park at a store and turn off the car. After a couple minutes, the solar sunroof kicks in and starts blowing hot, humid air at the windshield. It only happens once in a while and using the defroster seems to clear it up in short order.

RS6FEVR
September 3rd, 2003, 21:31
:cheers: andyp

Having parked mine at many locations in direct sun, I can indeed confirm that the system works in my red devil! :p :p
Got in the car after 18 holes at high noon and fan was running nicely with interior temps much cooler than similar situation in my old MB. I also have the silver interior which obviously helps as far as heat reflection and conduction is concerned. If I'm going to be in sunny area, I usually also put up the shades (love that power shade on the rear deck!!) in the rear. This also seems to be a great way to limit incoming sun light and ultimately heat. I think it's a great option for sunny Chicago summer and will be indespensible in AZ.

:addict: FEVR :addict: