View Full Version : Beautiful weather in northern MN today

4everRS
January 5th, 2010, 00:49
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/Picture.jpg

and yes, that is the best mileage I have been getting

It REALLY pulls nice in these temps :0:

snoopra
January 5th, 2010, 00:56
Dang! The coldest we got thus far is 68F. Right now, all I'm seeing on the info screen are the five trans letters, every thing else went blank a few days ago:(??

V8weight
January 5th, 2010, 01:33
Yeah, mine showed -17F this morning, but between drowsiness and heated seats I didn't know the difference. 17mpg? I haven't seen over 15.6 since early fall, is your seat too far away from the go pedal?:lovl:

4everRS
January 5th, 2010, 01:48
17mpg? I haven't seen over 15.6 since early fall, is your seat too far away from the go pedal?:lovl:

Ha, haven't you been using the "tornado" mpg enhancer? I did a custom install in the passenger side tailpipe and what a difference! :mech:

MaxRS6
January 5th, 2010, 01:57
Awesome- I could really enjoy that for about 15 minutes :)

Seriously though- it would be too much fun to take it for a spin in that type of weather and in about a foot of snow!

DHall1
January 5th, 2010, 01:57
Blue sky

light breeze

0 humidity

73 degrees

Ahhhhhh, I think its time to wax my car.

MaxRS6
January 5th, 2010, 01:59
Blue sky

light breeze

0 humidity

73 degrees

days with golf clubs in hand.

DHall1
January 5th, 2010, 02:03
I have been out 3 times in the last 5 days.

One good thing about the local economy. I can snag a t time for around 25 bucks at a nice local course.

Ahhhh

:cool2:

days with golf clubs in hand.

V8weight
January 5th, 2010, 02:04
Blue sky

light breeze

0 humidity

73 degrees

I cant seem to find the "smilie" with the big middle finger:0:

MaxRS6
January 5th, 2010, 02:12
I cant seem to find the "smilie" with the big middle finger:0:

With any luck, I'll be off to Florida in a few weeks to visit my snowbird dad to knock the little round ball from sunrise to sunset.

DHall1
January 5th, 2010, 02:13
:hahahehe:

LOL

V8weight
January 5th, 2010, 02:15
Hmmm, I should plan some kind of Arizona timing belt trip soon.

MaxRS6
January 5th, 2010, 02:19
http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/_Assets/Images/Trucks/SetForward/SetForwardCarHauler01.jpg

(isn't Arkansas on the way from MN-lol) load mine, and pick up others on the way and see if we can fill the hauler. :jlol:

DHall1
January 5th, 2010, 02:20
Just give me the dates.

You want to see Barrett-Jackson? Its coming up soon

V8weight
January 5th, 2010, 02:25
Just give me the dates.

You want to see Barrett-Jackson? Its coming up soon
That's in a couple weeks right? like the 18th-23rd? Pm me your number, I'll give you a ring tomorrow. I'm heading out right now to go out to dinner. There's a rather angry gal sitting next to me right now who had the misfortune of being the first one home today to find a rather horrendous "puppy surprise". Needless to say she's not in the mood to cook.

V8weight
January 5th, 2010, 02:27
http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/_Assets/Images/Trucks/SetForward/SetForwardCarHauler01.jpg

(isn't Arkansas on the way from MN-lol) load mine, and pick up others on the way and see if we can fill the hauler. :jlol:
Hop on the train. I'm bringing my tools down. It sounds like we might have a few RS6's to do.:mech:

MaxRS6
January 5th, 2010, 02:31
OMG- You all shouldn't tempt me or you might be unfortunate enough to see my ugly pug in person with a NIB Wagner I/C. LOL

You better get that girl fed or noone will see you agin (Arkie slang)

JRS-RS6
January 5th, 2010, 03:40
Thanks for the update on MN weather 4everRS and V8weight. I flew out of MSP and into LAX yesterday -15 F at departure and when I got my rental it said 81 F. I am supposed to be here for three weeks -- wish I had my beast! I am not impressed with my Impala's version of triptronic. I put it in M and accidently downshifted from the Chevy's version of the paddle shifters as I was at peak hp in 2nd. It actually did it and redlined instantly -- I double upshift and put it in D from there. No kaboom or smoke but close -- I think I bent the tachometer needle!

Seriously though -- Will the our cars do that are they smart enough not to? Not willing to try when I get home especially in subzero weather.

V8weight
January 5th, 2010, 04:02
Thanks for the update on MN weather 4everRS and V8weight. I flew out of MSP and into LAX yesterday -15 F at departure and when I got my rental it said 81 F. I am supposed to be here for three weeks -- wish I had my beast! I am not impressed with my Impala's version of triptronic. I put it in M and accidently downshifted from the Chevy's version of the paddle shifters as I was at peak hp in 2nd. It actually did it and redlined instantly -- I double upshift and put it in D from there. No kaboom or smoke but close -- I think I bent the tachometer needle!

Seriously though -- Will the our cars do that are they smart enough not to? Not willing to try when I get home especially in subzero weather.
Our cars are safeguarded against such tiptronic mishaps. It you put it in tip mode and hold it to the boards, it will shift by default, ironically about 200 rpms sooner than it would in sport mode. I don't know about premature down shifts though. I know when I was screwing around with soft coding my TCU, I was under the impression that the 00032 coding would allow me to hold 1st to redline, but what I didn't realize was that it would no longer shift by default if I was too slow with the paddles. It only took one time of hitting the rev limiter for me to recode my tcu back to stock.

mmaturo
January 5th, 2010, 04:06

grab mine in Chicago.

V8weight
January 5th, 2010, 04:06
I think I can add another tally to my "threads jacked" collumn.:harass:

V8weight
January 5th, 2010, 04:11
grab mine in Chicago.
You still haven't done yours? You must be well over 80k by now. Well, if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods with a trunk full of beer.................

mmaturo
January 5th, 2010, 04:33
You still haven't done yours? You must be well over 80k by now. Well, if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods with a trunk full of beer.................

If it wasn't 13 out you may have a visitor... yep i just did two round trips to Florida for thanksgiving and x-mas so I am right at 85K. Living dangerously but having seen it in the low 70Ks it was perfect so hoping it stays that way for a month or two before i can get the cash together (my priorities are off when i wanted my wheels painted rather than save up. oops).

peiserg
January 5th, 2010, 04:36
Dang! The coldest we got thus far is 68F. Right now, all I'm seeing on the info screen are the five trans letters, every thing else went blank a few days ago:(??

you might have hit the reset button on the right hand column stalk. it's on the bottom of that stalk. first time i picked up from service it was jus tlike yours... i asked about it and the svc tech came out and hit the stalk button and the whole thing lit up again.

V8weight
January 5th, 2010, 04:56
If it wasn't 13 out you may have a visitor... yep i just did two round trips to Florida for thanksgiving and x-mas so I am right at 85K. Living dangerously but having seen it in the low 70Ks it was perfect so hoping it stays that way for a month or two before i can get the cash together (my priorities are off when i wanted my wheels painted rather than save up. oops).
Something to keep in mind: We did 4everRS's belt in Dec., and though the belt looked like brand new, the bearings in his water pump were almost shot as well as one of the tensioner pulleys and one of the idlers. I believe he was right at about 75k. Regardless of the condition of the belt, if any one of the bearings fail on any given pulley the belt is going to fall off. :bigeyes:

JRS-RS6
January 5th, 2010, 05:30
V8weight thanks for the feedback -- by the way it's a Malibu not a Impala (same to me either way pretty much) -- just stepped outside of my hotel for a smoke. Getting chilly tonight must be about 47 F.

DHall1
January 5th, 2010, 06:14
Pat,

Is there any way to research if the wp, idler, tensioner were actually changed at 35k? On 4ever's car? Does he have the docs for the 35k service?

Something to keep in mind: We did 4everRS's belt in Dec., and though the belt looked like brand new, the bearings in his water pump were almost shot as well as one of the tensioner pulleys and one of the idlers. I believe he was right at about 75k. Regardless of the condition of the belt, if any one of the bearings fail on any given pulley the belt is going to fall off. :bigeyes:

DHall1
January 5th, 2010, 06:16
Mark and Max,

If you guys want to come over to AZ....LMK. If we get the dates hammered out I just need a tally of heads. I have plenty of room to wrench on RS6s.

MaxRS6
January 5th, 2010, 13:22
Mark and Max,

If you guys want to come over to AZ....LMK. If we get the dates hammered out I just need a tally of heads. I have plenty of room to wrench on RS6s.

was able to make the trip and see all of you in person as I am sure it would be a blast. My upcoming trip to Florida and work comittments will preclude me from making it this time. If you (or other RS6 owners) are ever in the Little Rock area, let me know and I would be glad to offer up some hospitality (spirits/food/fun) on my end as well.

4everRS
January 5th, 2010, 15:10
Pat,

Is there any way to research if the wp, idler, tensioner were actually changed at 35k? On 4ever's car? Does he have the docs for the 35k service?

Dave,

To me, there was no evidence of a change of pulleys, tensioner, or wp at 35k. It could have been done, but I can't be sure. I think the hydraulic tensioner would have to be changed, that thing is a pain in the a** to have to compress. The belt looked like new as Pat said. I tried to talk to the service manager at Fred Baker Audi where it was sold and maintained before I bought it. Funny thing is, before I purchased it, they didn't know where I was from and answered every question I had about the car, even the name of the previous owner (which I didn't even ask). After I purchased it, they realized I was in MN and wasn't going to Ohio for service, and wouldn't share a thing with me. These were the only 2 calls I made to them.

Is it possible to get the information another way? I called Carousel here in MN and they said they weren't able to pull up the service history. Does this sound right? :vhmmm:

DHall1
January 5th, 2010, 15:39
I dont think there is any way to know for sure. Short of having the invoice.

But, do you know if the job was done while under warranty? Date and mileage? Because, if it was under warranty the Audi service warranty paid for the job. If it paid for the job the job will be in the Audi database and Carousel can look it up with parts used.

Check into the date if you can.

It really would be nice to know if these pulleys can go out at 35-40k. My guess is they were the OEs and lasted 75k and should have been changed at 35k.

Dave,

To me, there was no evidence of a change of pulleys, tensioner, or wp at 35k. It could have been done, but I can't be sure. I think the hydraulic tensioner would have to be changed, that thing is a pain in the a** to have to compress. The belt looked like new as Pat said. I tried to talk to the service manager at Fred Baker Audi where it was sold and maintained before I bought it. Funny thing is, before I purchased it, they didn't know where I was from and answered every question I had about the car, even the name of the previous owner (which I didn't even ask). After I purchased it, they realized I was in MN and wasn't going to Ohio for service, and wouldn't share a thing with me. These were the only 2 calls I made to them.

Is it possible to get the information another way? I called Carousel here in MN and they said they weren't able to pull up the service history. Does this sound right? :vhmmm: