PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS 6 vs Ferrari F40 !?!

Benman
September 2nd, 2003, 15:36
It all started out so innocent. The plan was to wake up early and take a stroll to a small town on an undisclosed local hiway (see, i DID listen to Mr. Fru T pants and got off those "durn freeways!". It's a great hiway with lots of fast sweepers, off camber turns and blind crests. It's a very common thing to see Corvettes, Vipers and NSXs on the same route (the earlier the better!).

So with wife and kid loaded up we set out @ 7:00 a.m. The first thing of interest came as a Nissan 350Z. It was moving along pretty well but ended up stuck behind 2 bikes (of all things). We were both waiting for a clear shot past them and when we got it we both went for it. When the Z pulled back over i kept going past him and in about 15 seconds never saw him again! "Well that was easy". Over the crests and turns we continued. My confidence growing and growing (please do not confuse with stupidity:D ) and was becoming VERY impressed with the Beast's high speed handling on curvy roads.

Another 20 minutes went by and there it was. At first i could not tell what it was other than a sparkling red gem in the sun. It was on the other side coming the opposite way. It would dissappear and reappear behind the hills and valleys until finally it was close enough for me to make it out. As it passed by i shouted " NO WAY! Honey did you just see that? That was a F40!!!" It took me all but 15 seconds to decide that we weren't going to make that trip out to that little town after all. I pulled over, waited for a car to pass and BAM. Just like that we made a U Turn and were in pursuit.

It didn't matter that this guy was going to hand me my butt on a platter. I HAD to try. I HAD to. I mean, how could i pass up this once in a life time oppertunity. We're talking about a F40 on a back road with me the wannabe after it!!! It took about 3 or 4 minutes to finally catch up. The beauty of it was that i cought up right as we came to the only stop sign on the route. It has a LONG straight ahead of it so i down shifted as we came to it in hopes that he would hear my engine and know my intentions. He did. He down shifted as well so i could hear his. As good as the RS 6s engine sounds THAT engine was flat awesome:bigeyes: .

So were at the stop sign and i'm 2 car lengths behind. I shift into S mode. We both drop the hammer and we're off! Now i know he dropped the hammer as well because not only could i see a very large puff of white smoke but i could actually hear his engine OVER mine!!! Here's where it gets good. I was really expecting his car to be gone in about 10 seconds or so but NO!!! The mighty Beast would not be denied!!! Now i'm not going to lie and say he didn't pull away at all but the amazing thing was that he didn't pull much at all. By 0-60 he had only an additional car length on me and by 0-100 he had only had another car length! As we came to the first sweeping turn the driver of the F40 slowed to @ 85-90 (coudn't tell you the exact speed as i was watching the road) Any distance he had on me he LOST trough the first turn! On to the next sraight. Again the F40 only pulls a car length or 2. And then we come to the next turn. Again, any distance he has on me he LOSES:bigeyes: as i again gain back the space between us!!! I can't BELIEVE this is happening!!!:bigeyes:

By the third turn i driver started to realize it was going to take alot to get rid of me. But instead of turning it up he actually put on his blinker and PULLED OVER!!! I couldn't believe it!!! I blew past him with what had to be one of the biggest smiles my wife had ever seen on my face! I kept the pace thinking he would catch back up but i never saw him again! We headed back into town (instead of flipping yet another U Turn to go to our original destination) to get some breakfast. As i came to one of the shopping centers i could see in my rearview mirror the same F40. I slowed and put on my blinker to let him know that i was going into the parking lot and really wanted to talk to him. To my surprise he put on his and followed me in! We both got out of our cars. His first words were "Man. I kept thinking this guy is NUTS!" My smile got bigger.

His son (@17) was asking me about my RS 6. "i didn't think they were in the U.S. yet. I only had seen them in Europe." Right then a guy in a SUV pulled up to get a better look at the mans Ferrari. He was asking the man about it ( and didn't even bat an eye at my car! I LOVE the stealth!!!).

When the guy in the SUV left i told Mr. F40 "you know, i'm a little bit down on power but..." He interupted and told me he knew all about my car. The engine specs, how fast (his commuter was a M5). He went on to tell me that he had only had his F40 for 3 days and was learning it's limits (wonder what he would have thought if i told him i only had mine for 9 days and was doing the same. I complemented him many times on his sweet ride before i drove off (because man let's face it. It was!).

Both the man and his son were very nice to meet and i enjoyed the experience to NO end. :D So, does this mean the RS 6 is a Ferrari beater. No. But what it does mean is hear in the REAL world with REAL drivers (and not pros) the capabilities of the quattro system are just awesome. I was not once scared or felt unsafe at those speeds through those turns with the Ferrari where as i'm sure he knew once his car broke loose that would be it. No quattro to save him or his car. Bye, bye:bye: I did have to spend some time on the way back convincing my wife that i wouldn't kill myself in this Beast but even she had to admit how impressed she was with the cars handling. Ahhh quattro. Ahhh... what an experience...:cheers:

Ben:addict: :addict: :addict:

absent
September 2nd, 2003, 15:46
Great story!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Erik
September 2nd, 2003, 15:48
Lovely story! I hope your wife was equally impressed ;)

I know RS6-Thomas and Nordschleife have been hunting Ferrari 360 Modena's on the highways as well. They can't get rid of the RS6 in the rear view mirror! :cheers:

BUT - don't forget that the ESP is a life-saver as well.

iconcls
September 2nd, 2003, 16:13
That was very entertaining and very well-written.:)

I not so much shocked about the beasts performance as I am about a wife that indulges such "behavior!":)

nene
September 2nd, 2003, 16:49
Oh My God!!! That is one heck of a story dude!

Seriously, you've waited for your car longer then a few of us, and you've come up to the best clean and friendly race ever.
Glad the F40 stopped to talk to you. I thought that he had put his blinker on at first so you could stop and chat with him.

It's a whole different crowd when it comes to these kinds of cars, and I'm happy you really represented us well.
Now, I'd just love to get a ride on an F40!!!

jimmy94507
September 2nd, 2003, 16:57
This weekend the Champion RS 6's are racing in the Speed World GT and the R8's will contest the ALMS series. The Champion R8's are back in the battle for the series tittle. They must win the last 3 races to take the tittle. However, the P675's may make it tough for them on the this track. Again, a good qualifying run for the R8's is essential for them to get out front and stay there. For all the details of the weekend's schedule go to:
http://www.laguna-seca.com/

Who's going to be attending the races this weekend?

Benman, Thanks for sharing the "stroll" on the local highway! I agree with Iconcls, an understanding wife like that must be a true gem!

Are you going to "stroll" up to Laguna Seca this weekend for the RS 6 and R8 races? Last chance to see them race on the West coast this season. A PR announcement just came out from Audi PR stating that the M3's have just been awarded 150 lbs "reward weight" bringing the base car up to 2800 lbs and Porche has had its early season weight reduction eliminated taking it up to 2800 lbs. However, the RS 6 minimum weight stays at 3200 lbs. Randy Pobst was carrying 110#'s of reward weight at Sears Point, reduced to 90#'s at Rd. Am. and will probably be reduced some for Laguna Seca. He's still 3rd in points and Audi is 2nd in the manufacturer's title chase. Laguna Seca will be a tough race for Audi with that extra 400 #'s. If they can quallify well, get the jump at the start, they may have a good chance of a strong finish.

Regards, Jim

gmbh6
September 2nd, 2003, 17:24
Originally posted by iconcls
That was very entertaining and very well-written.:)

I not so much shocked about the beasts performance as I am about a wife that indulges such "behavior!":)
I totally agree!

My wife would have my head on a platter. No way she'd let me live that one down.....hahah.

But so glad to hear that. Maybe I'll tell my bro-in-law to take the 959 to the track instead of the 360. :addict:

Just be careful out there. :incar:

Benman
September 2nd, 2003, 18:51
Thanks for the comments:cheers: But believe me, you guys didn't enjoy reading the story NEAR as much as i enjoyed LIVING it. Again, i can't say enough about how nice the guy was (especially considering he thought i was crazy for going that fast through the turns:bigeyes: ). He wasn't the slightest bit stuck up despite having ALOT of money!

As for my wife, she is the coolest of the cool. The best of the BEST. And i NEVER take her forgranted. She wasn't very happy about my behavior but she held her tongue and never complained once. A true gem she most certainly is!:cheers:

Ben:addict: :addict:

mjrr
September 2nd, 2003, 20:21
Really, really impressive Story !!!!
I've just seen a race between a RS6 sedan vs. a Porsche Carrera 4S today. And this wasn't as exciting as your story... Maybe, because a police patrol stopped them :(

mjrr

eph94
September 2nd, 2003, 21:30
Originally posted by iconcls
I not so much shocked about the beasts performance as I am about a wife that indulges such "behavior!"

Benman, does your wife have a sister?? Oh wait, I'm already married. It think it is safe to safe that my wife would have killed me, but she let's me do things other wives wouldn't let their husbands do so I can't complain. I guess it's a "happy ending" after all. ;)

That was an AWESOME report. :cheers:

Bauer
September 2nd, 2003, 23:27
Benman,

Great story.....I know what you mean about the understanding wife. I think sometimes my wife drives faster than me and she (almost) never complains when I am.:incar: Keep the stories comming.

Bauer

03 RS6
01 S8
92 S4

Mr. Fru-T Pants
September 3rd, 2003, 00:13
(Smugly) See what happens when you listen to the Fruitman?
Nothing but good can come from his sage advice... ;)

Nice story, bro! Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself.

Fru-T

AvusRS6
September 3rd, 2003, 01:00
Holy Moly! Awesome story! Get a O.CT chip and Miltek exhaust (only thing available in the US) and I think the outcome may or could have been different.

It's amazing how when you run the Beast against whoever, the opposing driver seems to have a good attitude about it! I know plenty of M5 owners can't stand running with 12 sec. Civics

Great Story!

krm
September 3rd, 2003, 03:39
Cool story, Ben. Thanks for sharing. It's great to see that the F40 driver enjoys his supercar and has a positive attitude about your encounter with him, a true car enthusiast indeed.

Looking forward to more interesting stories shall you experience them!

:cheers:

Erik
September 3rd, 2003, 08:48
Originally posted by mjrr
I've just seen a race between a RS6 sedan vs. a Porsche Carrera 4S today. And this wasn't as exciting as your story... Maybe, because a police patrol stopped them :(

Maybe, maybe... :D :hihi:

avdh
September 3rd, 2003, 09:11
Great story Ben, in fact one of the nicest RS6 stories so far :)

BTW your wife is a gem!

TheBrit
September 3rd, 2003, 13:25
Wow, Benman comes up with the RS 6 owner's "kill story" of all time... :D

Nice work!

btumble
September 3rd, 2003, 20:10
Wow Ben. What an experience! Nice the F40 owner was so cool. I have to ask though, how old is your kid and what did he/she think of the ride?

Snow
September 3rd, 2003, 20:10
I agree to 100% Great story, great write up. What more can we ask for? :0:

And it is also very nice to hear about super-car owners who are very down to earth and understand the excitement of a car fantast when he/she sees an F 40. That just doens't happen too often...

Thanks a lot for the story and I obviously do not have to tell you to enjoy your car! :D

:cheers: :addict:

Gustav
September 3rd, 2003, 23:27
Guys, you should see these videos:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=342837#post342837

EBMCS03
September 4th, 2003, 00:05
WOW!!! NICE story... so cool... :addict:

gmbh6
September 4th, 2003, 00:29
...the first video didn't play but the second one did...........who's the moron who almost clipped the F40?

i wish it came with subtitiles so I could hear what his friend mumbled to him right after that............yikes..........that's gotta be costly body work.

Snow
September 4th, 2003, 11:10
To see the first video you have to do like this. Go to the link on the M5 Board. Then edit the address so that it looks like this:

http://charlym3.free.fr/videos/One_Eleven_Association_111S_versus_F40_Monthlery_2 001.mpg

Hm, I can't delete the space between the / and the O in One but that has to be deleted aswell when editing the address.

Truly a very nice video. But it doesn't look like the F40 driver is pushing it to the limit until about 2.30 into the video where he gets a pretty large distans between himself and the camera-car.

And that was a very close call when he understeered in the second video. Now, the first camera-car was a M5, right? Then what car is the camera-car in the second?

Thanks Gustav!:0:

Gustav
September 4th, 2003, 11:58
I think the camera car on both occasions is a Lotus. :alig:

Finnus
September 4th, 2003, 13:28
Ben,

Great story!!! Very cool. And, does your wife have a sister? I'm not married. LOL

Finnus
:addict: :addict: :addict:

Benman
September 4th, 2003, 18:07
Originally posted by Finnus
Ben,
Great story!!! Very cool. And, does your wife have a sister? I'm not married. LOL
Finnus
:addict: :addict: :addict:
It seems i'm getting alot of requests for this:D . Finnus, my wife has 4 sisters but sadly all are under age so you'll need to be a little patient LOL:cheers:

I showed this post to my wife and she was flattered by the comments and wants me to relay her many thanks:cheers:

BTW, since this Beast IS Lord of the Rings, she paraphrased a line from the movie and told me to tell all of you that as long as she's driving "NO BMW SHALL PASS!!!":cheers:

Ben:addict: :addict:
P.S. Btumble, my daughter is 3years 3 months and loves the car. She calls it "daddy's fast car".:cheers: