PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 2.7T performance questions

Georgious86
January 1st, 2010, 03:40
Hi all! Can any one please help me with some questions, since i've no idea in car tuning,chips,etc...I'm going to buy the next week A6 2.7T C5 2003 or 2004 y. some about 90,000 miles,after shipping it to my very far country from US :) i'll deliver it in not later than 2 months from buying it in US. i've such questions if i can do the performance better by removing the limiters and is it possible somehow??? the second my question to you is that i've found some chips for this vehicle which adds 50hp,is it really possible to install it on this car and what's approximately the price of the chip.
if yes, so can you install it by yourself or you appeal to sercive?
i've searched on Ebay.com and the price which i doubt in reality is very cheap 9$
Thanks

George

Audi is the best!!!:R8kiss:

Avus-RS6
January 1st, 2010, 04:16
Wrong forum?!?

SAF
January 1st, 2010, 04:45
Try here.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a6/

ZCD2.7T
January 1st, 2010, 14:48
There are at least a half-dozen chip-tuning companies that have products for the 2.7T. The motor is the same as was in the B5 S4, and those are semi-legendary for their straightline speed when tuned.

Revo, APR, AutoSpeed, GIAC, Unitronic, MTM and ABT are the companies that come immediately to mind. All offer chip-tuning that net betweeen 305-315 hp (up from the OEM rating of 250), and 330-380 lb. ft. of torque (up from the OEM rating of 258 lb. ft.).

The weak link in the C5 2.7T is the Tiptronic automatic transmission - it doesn't have the torque capacity to deal with all that extra power without problems in many cases.

If the car you're buying has a manual trans, then it will handle the power with no problems, but you might eventually need a stronger clutch.

The turbo oil lines were redesigned for 2002, so try to get a 2002-2004 if possible

The "throttle body boot" is also sometimes a weak link, as they sometimes develop cracks leading to boost leaks, particularly on chip-tuned cars, so the aftermarket companies offer stronger/better replacements.

I'm driving my family's 3rd 2.7T, and I really enjoy it - 112,000 miles and counting.

Hope this helps.

ttboost
January 1st, 2010, 14:58
European Performance Labs (EPL) in CT is also a great tuner. They tuned my 996tt Porsche and will tune my RS6 when I get it. Very affordable and great service.

Erik
January 1st, 2010, 18:44
I used to have one, with MTM 312 hp chip, tiptronic.

It had the same performance as the S6 V8.

Georgious86
January 1st, 2010, 21:27
Thank you very much!!! I'm going to buy 2004 2.7T S-Line,but bad to me that neither of tuners you mentioned aren't in my country, Because here only 2 brands are respected that's BMW and MERCEDES,

grambler
January 1st, 2010, 23:00
Well, where are you coming from then? Maybe you can do the performance upgrade in the US when you buy the car.

ttboost
January 1st, 2010, 23:05
Thank you very much!!! I'm going to buy 2004 2.7T S-Line,but bad to me that neither of tuners you mentioned aren't in my country, Because here only 2 brands are respected that's BMW and MERCEDES,

EPL can email your tune or you can send them your ECU and they will next day it back to you.

ZCD2.7T
January 2nd, 2010, 02:05

My car is an '04 S-Line, and all the '04 S-Lines in the US have Tiptronic automatic transmissions, so be aware that the transmission's rated torque capacity is 319 lb. ft., according to ZF's own documentation.

GIAC had a torque-limited chip for Tiptronic cars at one point, but I don't know if it is still available.

FYI, the S-Line's stock engine output is 265 hp/280 lb. ft.

Good luck with your purchase!

Georgious86
January 2nd, 2010, 18:55
My car is an '04 S-Line, and all the '04 S-Lines in the US have Tiptronic automatic transmissions, so be aware that the transmission's rated torque capacity is 319 lb. ft., according to ZF's own documentation.

GIAC had a torque-limited chip for Tiptronic cars at one point, but I don't know if it is still available.

FYI, the S-Line's stock engine output is 265 hp/280 lb. ft.

Good luck with your purchase!

Thanks again!!! you seem know all about your car,i didn't know that 04 S-line had 265 hp,still thought 250.
Happy new year and good luck!
P.S. I'm from Georgia(europe) and I think i'm the strongest Fan of audi brand

RS246
January 2nd, 2010, 20:22
Great car congrats :incar:

Used to own one myself som years ago.

As earlier mentioned the week point is the tiptronic tranny.

Here is a link from when i was using it on ice trackday :cool2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67aXfi7ewfI

An another one of my exhaust mod :race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1-fTNn8Oc

Georgious86
January 2nd, 2010, 20:52
Great car congrats :incar:

Used to own one myself som years ago.

As earlier mentioned the week point is the tiptronic tranny.

Here is a link from when i was using it on ice trackday :cool2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67aXfi7ewfI

An another one of my exhaust mod :race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1-fTNn8Oc

Wooow, good driving on ice! wish i could drive as good as you here,since we have dry country,no ice and very seldom in snows i can't drive like that,i never had opportunity to learn.
one more advice please, is it better to race with other cars on a straightline by pushing the brake pedal and gas at same time at starts???and how much RPM must i to keep???
I'm going to race with some bmw fans E39 5 series in straightline :R8kiss:

RS246
January 2nd, 2010, 21:18
Wooow, good driving on ice! wish i could drive as good as you here,since we have dry country,no ice and very seldom in snows i can't drive like that,i never had opportunity to learn.
one more advice please, is it better to race with other cars on a straightline by pushing the brake pedal and gas at same time at starts???and how much RPM must i to keep???

Thanks mate.....

If have been doing a few drag races on the local ariplane strip.
The problem with this new modern cars are that the car cuts the trottle electronical when you push the brakepedal and gaspedal at the same time when you step to hard on the gas pedal.

Im am not sure how healthy it is for the tiptronic box either.

I have tried some oldschool leftbraking on the icetrack in speed.
This only result in instant electronical cut og throotle.

If you dont want to end up with a broken tranny o would not recomend it...

We have 20 degree below zero at the moment and 30 cm with nice drifting snow here in norway.
So you are welcome to try our snow up here in north :-)

ZCD2.7T
January 2nd, 2010, 22:38

In the US, Audi's ECU programming severely limits overlap of throttle and brake, due to the "unintended acceleration" allegations from the early 1980s. Those were proven to be false accusations, but Audi subsequently programmed US cars to cut the throttle whenever the brakes are applied.

This has actually led to a TRUE problem when the throttle is pressed quickly just as the brakes are released - sometimes the car just won't go for a couple of seconds, which can make merging into traffic "exciting", to say the least. I've just learned to drive around that particular behavior.

As far as drag racing against E39 5-series, I've done that, against a friend's 540i 6-speed, and I lost badly, so don't get your hopes up. If you chip-tune your car, then you'll have a better chance, as long as your transmission survives.

Audis aren't good drag-racers, at least the way they're configured from the factory.

Georgious86
January 3rd, 2010, 10:20
In the US, Audi's ECU programming severely limits overlap of throttle and brake, due to the "unintended acceleration" allegations from the early 1980s. Those were proven to be false accusations, but Audi subsequently programmed US cars to cut the throttle whenever the brakes are applied.

This has actually led to a TRUE problem when the throttle is pressed quickly just as the brakes are released - sometimes the car just won't go for a couple of seconds, which can make merging into traffic "exciting", to say the least. I've just learned to drive around that particular behavior.

As far as drag racing against E39 5-series, I've done that, against a friend's 540i 6-speed, and I lost badly, so don't get your hopes up. If you chip-tune your car, then you'll have a better chance, as long as your transmission survives.

Audis aren't good drag-racers, at least the way they're configured from the factory.

540 E39 has more power,I think i'll be better that 530 or 535,
why audis aren't good racers? isn't Rs6 c5 good drag racer?

grambler
January 3rd, 2010, 12:50
Well in my opinion a RS6 isn't made for dragracing. It's just not right for this car. Some highly tuned S2 - ok. But the RS6 is a luxury cruiser with a lot of power and a high usability...

@RS246: Wow, that looks awesome on the track. I'd love to do this with an Audi here in Switzerland, I have to check out if there are some possibilites. It's probably the only thing I like about winter :D

RS246
January 3rd, 2010, 13:02
Just come to Norway, there are a lot of winter trackdays in January :race:

ZCD2.7T
January 4th, 2010, 13:41
540 E39 has more power,I think i'll be better that 530 or 535,
why audis aren't good racers? isn't Rs6 c5 good drag racer?

E39 530i would probably be a decent challenge - don't bother against an E60 535i - those are quicker even than my buddy's E39 540i.

Unmodified Audis don't make good drag racers because they're heavy, and don't generally have the power to spin their tires a bit at the start, which puts severe strain on the driveline. A roll-on acceleration contest might suit a 2.7T better.

RS246
January 4th, 2010, 17:09
E39 530i would probably be a decent challenge - don't bother against an E60 535i - those are quicker even than my buddy's E39 540i.

Unmodified Audis don't make good drag racers because they're heavy, and don't generally have the power to spin their tires a bit at the start, which puts severe strain on the driveline. A roll-on acceleration contest might suit a 2.7T better.

This is just a stupid excuse dude !!! :brag:

C5 RS6 beats the crap out of wheelspinning M5 and M3 anytime :rs6kiss:

The bemmers do not have a chanse to get the power down to the ground..

ZCD2.7T
January 4th, 2010, 18:07
This is just a stupid excuse dude !!!

Actually, it's an opinion - not an excuse.

What does an RS 6 have to do with a 2.7T, BTW?

Thanks, though, for your well-reasoned and polite response. :eye:

RS246
January 4th, 2010, 18:15
Actually, it's an opinion - not an excuse.

What does an RS 6 have to do with a 2.7T, BTW?

Thanks, though, for your well-reasoned and polite response. :eye:

Sorry if i offended you.....

You say that Audi on a generell bases are bad dragracers....

I dont find that correct....

Georgious86
January 6th, 2010, 19:50
So, friends, should i turn ESP OFF in a straight line race?????????

ZCD2.7T
January 7th, 2010, 04:12
So, friends, should i turn ESP OFF in a straight line race?????????

If the car is not chip-tuned, it won't matter - there's not enough power to spin a tire when the road is dry, so ESP won't come into play.

If you chip-tune it, then you'd have to experiment to see what works best, but you'd probably have the best results with the ESP off.