PDA

View Full Version : Year end total of the cost of ownership of a used RS6

V8weight
January 1st, 2010, 01:26
I've owned my beast for about exactly a year now, and after retrieving it from the dealership this afternoon i went through my records to tally up what this car has cost me and the warranty co. to keep on the road. ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?

$28,346.58
And no, this doesn't include the purchase price, fuel, registration,or insurance, just repairs and maintenance. So for all of those kicking the idea around in their head, go pick up a used RS6, they're dirt cheap right now:lovl: I still wouldn't trade it for the world.:heart:

ttboost
January 1st, 2010, 01:42
How much of that $28K was out of YOUR pocket and how much was out of the "Warranty" pocket and how much was the warranty?

V8weight
January 1st, 2010, 01:49
How much of that $28K was out of YOUR pocket and how much was out of the "Warranty" pocket and how much was the warranty?
I came out smelling like a rose. I don't know off the top of my head, but I would say $5000 out of pocket, the rest was paid by warranty. The initial investment in the warranty was $4200, so the moral of the story is buy a warranty at any cost. :deal:

DHall1
January 1st, 2010, 01:51
You sound just like me. :eye:

LOL :harass:

Was the 4200 for the warranty part of the 5000 out of pocket?

V8weight
January 1st, 2010, 01:58
You sound just like me. :eye:

LOL :harass:

Was the 4200 for the warranty part of the 5000 out of pocket?
No, the warranty is seperate, but the out of pocket part is largely misrepresented. I would actually say it's closer to $6k, but that includes the KW's, sway bars, misc. small repairs and modifications, tires, brakes, oil changes, and a spare set of wheels. But the overall total is mind blowing, especially if you were the gambling type that didn't think the warranty was necessary.

GEN XER
January 1st, 2010, 01:58
I got in 10k in warranty repairs right before the end of year but I would say I have put in about $3500 out-of-pocket on top of the 4500 for the warranty. If my wife knew how much I was spending she would just die. My labor costs are down because I don't use the dealer.

MaxRS6
January 1st, 2010, 02:16
My wife is a CPA as am I. Therefore; kind of hard to cover up the cost of ownership. My RS6 has cost me plenty in terms of matching costs such as

New Tranny- New diamond rings for her
Suspension- A couple of shopping trips with the "girls"
Downpipes & other goodies- A flippin remodeled bathroom (go figure)

I think I'll stop there as the tally is beginning to give me a headache. :)

ttboost
January 1st, 2010, 02:17
No, the warranty is seperate, but the out of pocket part is largely misrepresented. I would actually say it's closer to $6k, but that includes the KW's, sway bars, misc. small repairs and modifications, tires, brakes, oil changes, and a spare set of wheels. But the overall total is mind blowing, especially if you were the gambling type that didn't think the warranty was necessary.

It seems the "mods" are most of the cost? Actual "maintenance" is probably less then $2500?

MaxRS6
January 1st, 2010, 02:20
It seems the "mods" are most of the cost? Actual "maintenance" is probably less then $2500?

At least thats my story as I try to sell the story to wifey that it is all part of the necessary cost of a owning a performance sedan- including the track events :music:

V8weight
January 1st, 2010, 02:20
My wife is a CPA as am I. Therefore; kind of hard to cover up the cost of ownership. My RS6 has cost me plenty in terms of matching costs such as

New Tranny- New diamond rings for her
Suspension- A couple of shopping trips with the "girls"
Downpipes & other goodies- A flippin remodeled bathroom (go figure)

I think I'll stop there as the tally is beginning to give me a headache. :)
No cost matching here. I just remodeled the garage to make it a more comfortable place to hide.:hihi:

MaxRS6
January 1st, 2010, 02:24
No cost matching here. I just remodeled the garage to make it a more comfortable place to hide.:hihi:

You must have talents that I don't possess. I try to convince her that she has the luxury of being around me- but it doesn't quite wash as she rolls her eyes:looking:.

Avus-RS6
January 1st, 2010, 04:03
I gave up on tallying receipts for my Audi's as it was just too depressing. I could be close to retiring by now if it wasn't for f&%#ing cars (notreally). I'd say $2,000 for the RS6 this year, new brakes all around (I did the rears), and a tranny service (I did that too), 4 oil changes or so. Car has been reliable as hell (knock on wood) and I don't drive slow either... 69K miles and counting. S4 on the other hand, well into 5 digits EASY.

DHall1
January 1st, 2010, 06:14
My cost of ownership this last year was well over 30,000.

I know I know.....I say its dirt cheap to maintain one of these. What gives?

Well, 1,500 dollars in maint and upgrades to the RS6 and 30k in pool and landscaping for the wife. :doh: So Max, I hear ya loud and clear. And Pat, my shop is not only insulated/heated/ac/its got an office and 1/2 bath. So I cant complain too much. Here is a fresh mop and glow job on my Celica. Not bad for 22yr old factory paint.

Hmmm, come to think about it...the pool was well worth all the $$ and effort. LOL

At the above exchange rates. 1,500=30,000. Its a good thing my wife's E55 didnt need any $$ this year. Because it would be my fault if anything on that car cost $$$. I spent 300 dollars max on all the service for that car this year. We must have a couple of lemons.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/Celica%20GT4/IMG_2683.jpg?t=1262325392

V8weight
January 1st, 2010, 06:50
^^ Wow, it doesn't work half that well on my floors.

R1
January 1st, 2010, 13:23
well i've owned my rs only for the last 6 months, hmn let's see $4200 for the warranty, $3k for the 35k service, $1300 for new tires & alignment, plus 2 deductibles in a couple of visits $200. Around $300 for detailer, waxes, etc. Brakes coming up perhaps in a month or two. And of course the value of the car not included yet. Car is all stock.

6 months total ownership maintenance = $9000.
Driving fun factor = priceless.

peiserg
January 1st, 2010, 15:43
ha. well with my supercharged meth injected nsx and the chipped rs6... i thinkk i've spent $30k 2007, $25k 2008, and FINALLY got it manageable... $17k in 2009.... tho that includes $4300 for the warranty.

If my spouse knew..... whoooo! talk about a quick death and a shallow grave in the desert!

and THAT doesn't factor in the stuff covered by warranty. tho it covers ALL expenses... fuel, registration etc...

the worst hit was $5000 for new head gasket on NSX. tho it DID enable me to drop the compression from 10.2 to 9.5 and therefore run more timing/boost. :_)

DHall1
January 1st, 2010, 16:27
Gerry,

Just two questions. Green pill or blue? Do you like the sunrise or set?

:cool2:

ha. well with my supercharged meth injected nsx and the chipped rs6... i thinkk i've spent $30k 2007, $25k 2008, and FINALLY got it manageable... $17k in 2009.... tho that includes $4300 for the warranty.

If my spouse knew..... whoooo! talk about a quick death and a shallow grave in the desert!

and THAT doesn't factor in the stuff covered by warranty. tho it covers ALL expenses... fuel, registration etc...

the worst hit was $5000 for new head gasket on NSX. tho it DID enable me to drop the compression from 10.2 to 9.5 and therefore run more timing/boost. :_)

Roger
January 1st, 2010, 20:49
My RS6 didn't cost me one cent over gas, oil, insurance. I've never had any maintenance problem with the car, not one. The only thing I’ve ever replaced are brakes, rotors, tires. I have the original DRC and it works perfectly, nice ride and corners flatter than my GT-R. NO, I don't have the warranty.

GEN XER
January 1st, 2010, 22:39
There has to be something wrong with us. Even after the car has cost us so much we keep them. I've seen this behavior before, they call it addiction. Hello my name is Willie and I am Addicted to my RS6. Now that's done. Who's next?

DHall1
January 1st, 2010, 22:44
Roger,

You dont drive your car much....nor do I. That seems to factor in on the cost curve. That and adding mods.

My car just turned 30k. Brakes, oil changes and a few mods. Fidelity is actually making money on me. Ha, thats until my trans goes in a couple of years. :doh:

Willie-yes we are all crazy. But damn lucky to have one of fastest sedans ever made let along drug over to this soil. Not only fast but the road feel is just out the world. Wild dogs could not keep me from driving the beast when the need comes around.

My RS6 didn't cost me one cent over gas, oil, insurance. I've never had any maintenance problem with the car, not one. The only thing I’ve ever replaced are brakes, rotors, tires. I have the original DRC and it works perfectly, nice ride and corners flatter than my GT-R. NO, I don't have the warranty.

MaxRS6
January 2nd, 2010, 00:43
There has to be something wrong with us. Even after the husband (edit) has cost us so much we keep them.

thing about sticking with me. I "keep the bar low" by having low-life male friends for comparison purposes so the alternatives don't seem so good to her. It seems to have worked so far.:trash:

I'm at 120K and plan on keeping the wheels turning. They ain't gonna bury my savings with me so I'm going to enjoy the time I have on this planet that keeps on spinning.

It also helps that the RS is my "company car".:dig:

GEN XER
January 2nd, 2010, 02:04
thing about sticking with me. I "keep the bar low" by having low-life male friends for comparison purposes so the alternatives don't seem so good to her. It seems to have worked so far.:trash:

I'm at 120K and plan on keeping the wheels turning. They ain't gonna bury my savings with me so I'm going to enjoy the time I have on this planet that keeps on spinning.

It also helps that the RS is my "company car".:dig:

:thumb::thumb::thumb: