PDA

View Full Version : 17979 - Left Engine Mount Solenoid Valve?

Mudguts
December 31st, 2009, 04:03
Hello Gents,

I could use a little help from the group knowledge base...

I did a search & couldn't locate any details on engine fault code 17979 - Left Engine Mount Solenoid Valve (N144): Short to Plus P1571 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

Anyone deal with this in the past? This isn't related to the DRC or something is it?

Also, in case it is relevant, the above fault was paired with 17819 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2: Insufficient Flow P1411 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

I did locate some details on this via search, so will check vac lines, fuse...

As always, your help is appreciated!

Cheers,
MG

V8weight
December 31st, 2009, 04:11
The 17979 basically means that you have a bad motor mount. The fluid has leaked out and and the mount collapsed and shorted out the solenoid. As for the secondary air injection, your on the right track. Check your vacuum lines and sai tubing for visible tears or leaks, but more often than not, the secondary air pump is bad.

GEN XER
December 31st, 2009, 04:11
Hello Gents,

I could use a little help from the group knowledge base...

I did a search & couldn't locate any details on engine fault code 17979 - Left Engine Mount Solenoid Valve (N144): Short to Plus P1571 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

Anyone deal with this in the past? This isn't related to the DRC or something is it?

Also, in case it is relevant, the above fault was paired with 17819 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2: Insufficient Flow P1411 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

I did locate some details on this via search, so will check vac lines, fuse...

As always, your help is appreciated!

Cheers,
MG

17979- The motor mount solenoid is bad. I just had one replaced. If you have a full warranty it is covered.

Check here for all the work I am having done for a better explanation of the Solenoid. Post 14 shows a pic of the Solenoid. page 2 has an explanation of what it does.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19972

Mudguts
December 31st, 2009, 04:26
Thanks guys.

Great documentation on your tear down GEN XER - Extensive maintenance!!!

Looks like I will be making a warranty claim in the New Year.

-MG

MaxRS6
December 31st, 2009, 04:30
The wealth of knowledge on this forum continously amazes me!

hahnmgh63
December 31st, 2009, 06:08
The good news is that the left engine mount is the easiest to get at. A good home mechanic could do it in about an hour or so, may 1.5 at the most. As mentioned about the secondary air system, the pump is the same one in many Audi's and problematic after a few years. My '01 tt has the exact same one as my RS6. In the RS6 it is easy to get at on the right side of the engine close to the firewall on top. Start the car when cold and normally you should hear it but get out and pop the hood and touch it and feel if it is running. Sometimes they split apart at the rivets holding the two sides of the plastic housing together and you can just drill the rivets and get long bolts, nuts, & washers and fix them. If it seems to be running fine them look at the vacuum leak mentioned. Search the forum for a diagram or check under your hood for the vacuum routing decal. If all else fails repost and I or someone can try to dig up the vacuum diagram and post it in PDF or something. The motor mount is no problem to drive for a while though.