PDA

View Full Version : New Chevrolet Camaro Cool or Not.

The Pretender
December 27th, 2009, 16:39
http://www.autoaluminum.org/static/src/autoaluminum/autoaluminum/media/application-images/Chevrolet/Chevrolet%20Camaro.jpg

ZCD2.7T
December 28th, 2009, 13:52
http://www.autoaluminum.org/static/src/autoaluminum/autoaluminum/media/application-images/Chevrolet/Chevrolet%20Camaro.jpg

Not a fan, personally.

ChicagoAudi
December 28th, 2009, 17:06
The Camaro, upon first view, may seem cool but the design is very contrived and forced. Darker colours suit the design better than lighter colours and, when viewed from the rear, the stance appears narrow and too high. This is amazing considering that, when viewed from the front, the car appears low, wide and menacing. Another aspect is that the car is much larger than how it appears in photographs. Another near hit from America's not-so-favorite taxpayer draining automaker and I have yet to address the image problem with the Camaro.

Benman
December 28th, 2009, 20:35
I'm going on record as really liking it. :D

It looks "contrived and forced" until one looks at the new A8... flame suit WAY on!!! LOL! :D:D

Ben:addict:

ChicagoAudi
December 28th, 2009, 21:08
I really doubt if the A8 will ever attract the mobile home mullet set; however, at least for the time being, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Benman
December 28th, 2009, 21:43
I really doubt if the A8 will ever attract the mobile home mullet set

Well, on that, you are likely correct. ;)

ChicagoAudi
December 28th, 2009, 22:09
True.

However, I am amazed at the amount of negative comments levied toward the new A8. Traditionally, the A8 has followed the design language established by the A4, while the A6 has maintained a more extroverted design language. Interestingly, when BMW, through Chris Bangle, designed a more expressive version of the 7 series, negative comments abounded, yet sales increased when compared to the previous generation.

Lost in the noisy refusal to accept change, Mr. Bangle simply explained that the proportions of the modern automobile are shifting due to 1) larger occupants, 2) demand for technology, 3) expansion into newer markets including China and Russia, and 4) regulatory oversight. One of the most significant factors affecting the proportions of the modern automobile are the new European pedestrian safety standards that mandate lower impact deceleration rates for the pedestrian. This, in turn, leads to more massive nose structures or costly popup bonnet designs. Now couple this with regulations standardizing the location and size of automotive exterior lamps and with consumer demand; it is amazing that automobiles look as good as they do.

The infamous Bangle Butt, found on the previous generation 7-series, alleviated the slab sidedness that resulted from the elevation of the boot lid to increase storage and aerodynamic efficiency. This is why this design element was aped by other makers including Lexus and Mercedes.

Interestingly, the designers of the new A8 have chamfered the boot lid and fenders to lighten the rear quarter view as a unique design solution as opposed to using the Bangle solution. Something that many have missed is that the new A8 represents a return to the Bauhaus design language of Audi design prior to de Silva. The new design is more about technical competence of material work and craftsmanship.

Benman
December 28th, 2009, 22:14
True.

However, I am amazed at the amount of negative comments levied toward the new A8. My comments are because it is Ho Hum boring.

This is why this design element was aped by other makers including Lexus and Mercedes. Sadly, Bangle crap has seeped into Audi as well. Witness the "Bangle Curve" that is in the rocker of the new TT, among other elements.

Something that many have missed is that the new A8 represents a return to the Bauhaus design language of Audi design prior to de Silva. I did not miss it, but it is not the return of the Bauhaus styling of understated class. The new A8 is more "contrived" vs flows...

In fact, only one car manufacturer (IMHO) is doing an awesome job of "Bauhaus Styling"... and it is Volvo. :cheers: