PDA

View Full Version : question about cold weather affecting transmission

p3u
December 25th, 2009, 21:52
On the way to Christmas dinner I noticed the rpms would jump about 500rpms, instead of the normal ~100rpms when hitting the gas. The car was very coid this morning, around 15 degrees, and soon as the car started to warm the tc would lock up as normal.

Maybe I'm just panicking as I just had it rebuilt, but is it normal for it to not lock up when at very low temps and then as it warms operate as normal? I've never noticed the car doing this before, as I almost always let it warm up before driving it in very low temperatures.

Thanks

snoopra
December 26th, 2009, 00:37
Sounds strange. What type of trans fluid are you using? Any codes? Flashing lights?

TozoM8
December 26th, 2009, 02:44
At leas that is how it works on the A/S8. You can vag-com log it and see how it locks up as soon as it reaches the right temp.
On the way to Christmas dinner I noticed the rpms would jump about 500rpms, instead of the normal ~100rpms when hitting the gas. The car was very coid this morning, around 15 degrees, and soon as the car started to warm the tc would lock up as normal.

Maybe I'm just panicking as I just had it rebuilt, but is it normal for it to not lock up when at very low temps and then as it warms operate as normal? I've never noticed the car doing this before, as I almost always let it warm up before driving it in very low temperatures.

Thanks

p3u
December 26th, 2009, 03:06
Thanks for the info, any reason why that is?

TozoM8
December 26th, 2009, 03:55
Your idle is also higher so open TC will make the drive smoother.
Thanks for the info, any reason why that is?

portos
January 1st, 2010, 14:49
I can also say that having now started the car cold repeatedly (winter came), the TC does not lock for the first kilometers, but about the same time as the coolant temp starts to climb, the TC starts to lock....

Cold meaning under -10C (14F), the "best" was a cold start in the morning @-26,5C (-15,7F), though I let the beast settle in idle for 10mins before driving on my way...

grambler
January 1st, 2010, 22:55
Haven't registered such a behaviour with my car and we had also days with -10C / 14F.
And I usually let the car idle for 30sec - 1 minute and start directly.

But half of the time the car is parked in a heated garage with a minimum temperature of about 17C