PDA

View Full Version : Staggered Rims

Born2be
December 24th, 2009, 02:04
Did a search and couldn't find much. Pros/Cons? Thanks.

W>

DALLAS_RS6
December 24th, 2009, 05:02
I'm running staggered HRE's 19x9.5's, I've had no issues.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/maria9356/rs6flush-1.jpg
(http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/maria9356/rs6flush-1.jpg)

RS6-4dr911
December 24th, 2009, 06:54
Just make sure the rolling diameters are within a percent or two of each other and you should be fine. Obviously you lose the ability to rotate the tires to extend treadlife, but hey, vanity has its costs.

ZCD2.7T
December 24th, 2009, 15:58
Did a search and couldn't find much. Pros/Cons? Thanks.

W>

Pros:
- ??
Cons:
- Increased understeer (last thing any Audi needs).
- Makes you look like a tool to anyone who knows anything about quattro.
(no offense intended to anyone who runs a staggered setup)

Why not just go wider all the way around if you want a more aggressive look?

uncfrk
December 24th, 2009, 16:59
I also like the staggered look but don't want to look like a "tool". I will try the wider all around look but might go to a slightly smaller (width) in the front. Too wide up front makes my cars want to dart left & right a little more on the roads here in Iowa that usually have grooves from heavy trucks.

DALLAS_RS6
December 24th, 2009, 19:09
There are always smart ways to do things. I have 9.5" wheels in the front and back with different offsets. I also have the same size tires in front and back so rotation is not a problem. Don't get me wrong it's not cheap but the look is achieved without the mentioned issues.

V8weight
December 24th, 2009, 19:10
I also like the staggered look but don't want to look like a "tool". I will try the wider all around look but might go to a slightly smaller (width) in the front. Too wide up front makes my cars want to dart left & right a little more on the roads here in Iowa that usually have grooves from heavy trucks.
I had to drive down to Cedar Rapids for Thanksgiving, and I agree, that corrugated surface on your concrete roads is misery with wide tires. The car tramlines all over the place.

DHall1
December 24th, 2009, 20:03
If the RS6 fenders were different sizes....then it may be something to consider. But our fenders are all about the same size. It makes sense to fill them all equal.

Just me. I am the guy that uses mop-n-glow to wax my vehicles.

hahnmgh63
December 24th, 2009, 20:48
I have always heard that if the rolling diameters are not real close that you will accelerate the wear of your center differential.

Bigglezworth
December 24th, 2009, 21:48
The RS6 is not like my GNX which runs 275/335's. While both have fat fender flares, running staggered set-up is more suitable for RWD cars IMO.

:)

TozoM8
December 24th, 2009, 22:22
Increased under-steer is only problem if you track your car. You will not notice anything when you daily driving.
There are always smart ways to do things. I have 9.5" wheels in the front and back with different offsets. I also have the same size tires in front and back so rotation is not a problem. Don't get me wrong it's not cheap but the look is achieved without the mentioned issues.

DALLAS_RS6
December 24th, 2009, 22:53
Increased under-steer is only problem if you track your car. You will not notice anything when you daily driving.

HRE made my wheels with a thicker mounting pad in front to compensate for the difference. Since the rear caliper is considerably smaller than the front, the rear mounting pad could be thinner to keep everything in line. But yes it can be done on a budget friendly level with wheel spacers.

uncfrk
December 24th, 2009, 23:30
How much is added to the mounting surface? Purhaps the allroad fitment might work on the front. They use about 20 mm offset instead of 33mm.

Drugcasanova
December 31st, 2009, 11:54
I too want to go for staggered fit. Wheelmania said I can put on 285/25/20 in the rear and 255/30/20 in the front with 9.5J wheels in the rear and 8.5J in the front. Any suggestions !!! or Should I go with 275/35/19 all round??? I have a 54 plate RS6 C5..... Has anybody got some wheels to get rid off. I am in Birmingham, UK.... thanks

DALLAS_RS6
January 1st, 2010, 01:18
I too want to go for staggered fit. Wheelmania said I can put on 285/25/20 in the rear and 255/30/20 in the front with 9.5J wheels in the rear and 8.5J in the front. Any suggestions !!! or Should I go with 275/35/19 all round??? I have a 54 plate RS6 C5..... Has anybody got some wheels to get rid off. I am in Birmingham, UK.... thanks

20's are pushing it, you are going to get a better ride with 19's. Not mention you are going to have use such a low profile tire you are not going to be able to really use the car without worrying about cracking a rim or popping a tire.

DALLAS_RS6
January 1st, 2010, 01:19
How much is added to the mounting surface? Purhaps the allroad fitment might work on the front. They use about 20 mm offset instead of 33mm.

I'll get some measurements and pics soon.