PDA

View Full Version : erWin Service Manuals

Turboluvr
December 23rd, 2009, 06:26
Howdy All,
I've been working my 35K maintenance for the past few weeks. I know it shouldn't take that long, even though its a bitch of a job for a maintenance procedure, but I had to go to AFRICOM in Stuttgart GE for a conference...and there was that bad snow storm here on the east coast. OK so there's my excuses, my problem arose from a lack of detailed information on the tensioning procedures of the timing belt once you have it installed. I had numerous methods of how to accomplish this and they were just different enough, some radically, to spark my concern. I don't want to take any chances on this engine when its under warranty. Yes I called Fidelity and they are good with owner maintenance of the timing belt as long as they can't say that you screwed up the engine because of it. Now I've built lots of engines from Chevy to Porsche and restore cars as a hobby, so I consider myself a graduate shade tree mechanic. Even so I still got lots of eyebrows raised, from Audi dealer techs, when they found out I was doing this. After going through the process for the first time, I will agree that this is not the job for the novice. But if you are mechanically competent, AND HAVE A GOOD SERVICE MANUAL, you can pull this off.

Most of the easily available manuals are based on a teardown of an A6 (The Bentley, the Blauparts instructions, etc). The problem is that our cars are significantly different enough to give the non-Audi tech trained individual cause for concern. The solution is get the factory RS6 manual, this isn't actually a printed document, as far as I can tell, but a program called elsaWin that is expensive and hard to come by. Yes I have seen the torrent procedures and detailed processes that are involved in obtaining a second hand copy of the software. I tried that route and gave up because my computer isn't that fast and I'm not that smart with the Interweb. I've also considered the eBay offerings but have read the stories of DVDs that don't work and lack of tech support. What I did come across is erWin which is available through Audi, all of us in the US must go through AoA, we're blocked from the parent Audi site.

https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showHome.do

erWin is a portal where, for a fee of $35 a day, you can download all the RS6 factory manuals you want. You have to download a digital rights management program from Oracle to keep you from copying anything and you need Adobe 6.0-9.1. Note that Adobe is currently at version 9.2, so if you are on automatic update, like me, you'll have to remove the new program and install an old version. Anyway this site helped me get all the RS6 specific manuals, just have lots of paper and printer ink on hand, I recommend it.

For parts I went with Blauparts, good quality and great people, just don't have the depth of experiance on our cars. You can rent the tools from them, I ended up getting the wrong thermostat in my order, which slowed everything down. But they backed their product, and didn't charge me for the extra tool time. I went ahead and bought the tools that I needed to complete the job and I suggest this as it gives you time to complete the job at your leasure and the essential stuff is only about $120. What you really need is:

The cam locking bar (T40005)
The crank locking bolt (3242)
The eccentric tool (T40009)
And some generic tools like a 3-arm gear puller, 1/4' and 3/8' torque wrenches, a full set of Torx bits, a 5mm drill bit or allen key, and all the standard equipment you would expect in a mechanics garage, wrenches, sockets, floor jack, jack stands, buckets, drip pans, hose clamps, 1/2' breaker bar, etc. The whole front end of the car has to come forward and rotate down. You do not have to completely remove it, there is flex built into all the lines that allow them to move enough to get at the front of the engine. I didn't think so, but with careful inspection and small movements it was possible.

I was going to do a detailed how-to of the timing belt but the service manuals pretty much cover it. So I'll just add some pictures of my tear down and some gratuitous pics from the Porsche museum in Stuttgart. If anyone has any specific questions, I know Dave and crew are planning a mass maintenance at the end of the month, drop a line and I'll help how I can.

I finaly got my camera back form the repair shop and took some pics. I tried a cheap digital from wally world but the pics are horrible quality so I scrapped most of them.

Turboluvr
December 23rd, 2009, 06:28
Here's some more pics of the RS6 in the process.

Turboluvr
December 23rd, 2009, 06:30
Here's some pics from VAG's newest automotive line.

Turboluvr
December 23rd, 2009, 06:34
Here's Ferry Porsche's 914 (with a flat 8 racing engine).
The infamous "Pink Pig"
A flat 16 in an early 917
and the latest in autobhan chase cars.

DHall1
December 23rd, 2009, 06:47
James,

Nice work!

I have both the Bently and Elsawin(thanks snoopra it just got here). Not had the time to fire up the Elsawin but it should be nice.

Pat completed a timing belt service for another member a week ago or so and we are waiting for his writeup as well. Our timing belt party is planned for some time in Jan or Feb down here in AZ.

So you placed your rad support in the locked and service position and didnt open it up like a car door. Next month is the timing belt special month at my house. I plan to tear into my supercharged LX470 and the RS6. Happy wrenching to the both of us.

Question, how did the timing belt look after 35k?

Timing belt layout looks similar to the Lexus V8 32valve engine.

droogie5
December 23rd, 2009, 07:17
Oh, and you didn't do the clear corner mod as long as you had the bumper off? Weak! :lovl:

But seriously, nice wrenching. Last timing belt I did was a GTI 16v 2.0 in 1994. Which, oddly enough, looks like half an audi V-8.

And I have to admit, I would be sweating my workmanship every time I put the hammer down if I DIY'ed a t-belt on mine.

hahnmgh63
December 23rd, 2009, 08:26
Does the crank bolt and pulley have to come off or does the belt slip on and off past it? I've found that sometimes those can really be a pain, especially if the front end is staying on the car like in this case.

V8weight
December 23rd, 2009, 15:16
There is no way to "open the lock support like a door" on the RS6 without draining the trans/engine oil cooler and evacuating/recharging the ac system. Here you can see that there's plenty of room with the lock support blocked ahead, and no need to top of the transmission and recharge the ac. I'm sorry, but my DIY was aborted due to time constraints as Kyle lives about 200 miles away and had to get home, so we needed to get his car done asap.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/get-attachmentaspx16.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/get-attachmentaspx2.jpg

V8weight
December 23rd, 2009, 15:18
Does the crank bolt and pulley have to come off or does the belt slip on and off past it? I've found that sometimes those can really be a pain, especially if the front end is staying on the car like in this case.
You do have to pull of the crank dampner, but you don't need to pull the 24mm center bolt, only the 8 8mm allen bolts (which must be replaced with new bolts once removed).

4everRS
December 23rd, 2009, 17:08
I'm sorry, but my DIY was aborted due to time constraints as Kyle lives about 200 miles away and had to get home, so we needed to get his car done asap.

Sorry about this, we had to go into DEFCON 5 after a water pump bolt broke inside the block. Pat was able to drill it out and had a bolt that threaded in pretty well. Also, we get the car back together and start it up and pat thought that I installed a supercharger when he wasn't looking, by the way it sounded. Turns out that when I put the cam covers back on, I didn't slide the tab in correctly and the tbelt was rubbing on the cover.:doh:
Don't really know how he did it, but Pat got between the lock support and engine with a couple long picks from the bottom and managed to fix it without taking the car apart again.:applause:

4everRS
December 23rd, 2009, 17:37
The whole front end of the car has to come forward and rotate down. You do not have to completely remove it, there is flex built into all the lines that allow them to move enough to get at the front of the engine. I didn't think so, but with careful inspection and small movements it was possible.

Great post Turboluvr, we may want to rename this thread or start a new one specific to the Tbelt.

Anyway, I am wondering if you simply "hung" the front of the lock support and kept the jack underneath? We used the front bumber support bolts in one of the bumber shock holes on each side to let it hang on. I'll edit in a photo later. Which, if any, lines needed to be disconnented on the bottom? It looks like you were able to get more room to work with.

Pat, I don't rememer an eccentric tool turboluvr mentioned, did we use one? There's a good chance I didn't even see you do it if we did.

Turboluvr
December 23rd, 2009, 19:24
Dave and 4everRS,
I tried the lock and service position (with the 2 support bolts in the bumper bracket holes) at first but I couldn't get the front assembly to slide forward enough to work on the engine. There is a mass of hard lines on the drivers front that keep you from getting it far enough forward. I thought I was going to have to take the whole thing apart and drain the coolers and A/C. That A8 Timing belt pdf gave me some ideas and I put a jack under the assembly, took the support bolts out and the whole thing can then be rotated forward and down. The hard lines have all have flexable hose sections a few inches back that allow you to do this. You get lots of room this way and limit the work later.

Hahn,
Like V8 said, just the dampner and the TB will slide off.

The eccentric tensioner, is a little block with pins that fits on a 1/4' torque wrench.

Turboluvr
December 23rd, 2009, 19:30
By the way, how do you get pictures to show up in the body of the post and not as attachments. Are you posting the pics somewhere and then using the insert image button to go to a URL? I've done it on other sites but I thought I just cut and pasted them into the body.

V8weight
December 23rd, 2009, 19:52
By the way, how do you get pictures to show up in the body of the post and not as attachments. Are you posting the pics somewhere and then using the insert image button to go to a URL? I've done it on other sites but I thought I just cut and pasted them into the body.
I use photobucket.

javier_gl
April 26th, 2010, 19:07
Hi all

This my first post to this wonderfull RS6 forum.
I've recently bought a '03 RS6 and, of course, I'm mainly concerned about timing belt replacement. I'd like to change it my selt on next summer, so that I'm gathering as much information as I can about it.

After reading a lot of tech papers, including Elsawin Audi official repairing guide, I think I have things over control, but a single question:
Is it necessary to pull out the left cam gear for removing the old belt or, instead, it can be done by carefully sliding the belt from the gears and rollers (after releasing the belt tensor, of course).

Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Javier (Spain)

V8weight
April 26th, 2010, 19:22
Hi all

This my first post to this wonderfull RS6 forum.
I've recently bought a '03 RS6 and, of course, I'm mainly concerned about timing belt replacement. I'd like to change it my selt on next summer, so that I'm gathering as much information as I can about it.

After reading a lot of tech papers, including Elsawin Audi official repairing guide, I think I have things over control, but a single question:
Is it necessary to pull out the left cam gear for removing the old belt or, instead, it can be done by carefully sliding the belt from the gears and rollers (after releasing the belt tensor, of course).

Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Javier (Spain)
Both cam gears have to be pulled loose at the very least and allowed to spin freely to properly time the valves and pretension the belt. So at that point it's easiest to just pull the gear completely off to remove and install the belt.

javier_gl
April 26th, 2010, 19:49
Hi V8

Thank you very much for your fast reply. Now it has sense for me!

Cheers
Javier

JRS-RS6
April 27th, 2010, 01:12
Hi all

This my first post to this wonderfull RS6 forum. Javier (Spain)

Welcome aboard the Crazy Train.

javier_gl
May 3rd, 2010, 12:56
Hi all
Well, I'll change timing belt myself on next summer.
My only concern at this moment is about the risk of accidentally turning camshafts while pulling cam gears or pretensioning the belt and, so that, spoiling the valves timing. Any special care about that?

Cheers
Javier

PS.- I'll do a photographic report for timing belt replacement.