PDA

View Full Version : Beaten by Lotus Elise:(

MichaelJP
September 1st, 2003, 12:11
Just shows the limitations of a big heavy car relative to a light nimble one!

Was heading up the A537 Cat & Fiddle pass from Macclesfield to Buxton - for those of you in other countries this is one of the best driving roads in the UK, extremely twisty, variations of camber, gradient and radius everywhere. It does have a fair few hairpins though, which the RS6 does not like - understeer city!

Anyway, this well driven Elise approached in my mirrors, and I thought I'd let him pass and see if I could keep up. I knew he'd be quicker round the bends, but I thought the 450hp would see me catching up as this whole sequence is uphill as the pass ascends to 2000ft.

I was *so* wrong - that Elise could brake so late and was so fast round the corners he'd pulled out maybe half a mile as we got to the summit:)

Still, don't think I'll swap - not much room for the kids and luggage in an Elise!

- Michael

Erik
September 1st, 2003, 12:19
Oh well, not to worry.

Do you know which Elise it was?

Maybe he was on r-tires as well?

MichaelJP
September 1st, 2003, 12:29
Originally posted by Erik
Oh well, not to worry.

Do you know which Elise it was?

Maybe he was on r-tires as well?

Not sure which Elise it was, it was definitely one of the "new shape" ones, but he wasn't close enough to read his model number for very long!

He might have been on R-tyres, but I'm certainly not complaining, I've driven an Elise at the racetrack and I know how good they are.

It would have been interesting to see the comparison if we'd tried it on a cold, wet, rainy winter day:)

- Michael

Erik
September 1st, 2003, 12:56
This gives you an idea:

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1_e.asp?Car1=53%26Ca r2=12
Top speed is not one of the Elise's top games.

Handling RS6 / Elise
Slalom Course (36m) 118 Km/h 133 Km/h
Evasive Course (110m) 137 Km/h 141 Km/h

Elise models & performance
http://www.adm02.com/Lotus/static/Specification.html

steve
September 1st, 2003, 13:10
No suprise... 5.1 from to 60 !!

and its about the half of the RS6's weight...+ its a racemachine

but give a good straigt with some long corners and you couldn't lose

Klint
September 1st, 2003, 13:23
The Elise is a great car, better still after the re-design. :asian:

Not to worry and as Erik says "top speed isn't the Elises' game". :)

:cheers:

nene
September 1st, 2003, 15:24
Nice run still if you were to ask me. Twisties is always harder on the RS6, since it makes the brakes work also very hard, since it's a heavy car.
I think someone was running an RS6 during an Auto-cross session, which included runs in the track, and by the end of the event the brakes were gone.

Not to worry though, since it seems that you enjoyed the fun anyway.

This morning on my way to work, a Cayenne S wanted to play with me. The road had a few twisties, but that's not the reason I did not play with him. The road pavement is just nasty, as I take this road to work everyday. I did not feel it was right to run the car on a dog fight game with the pavement conditions. Don't want the car rattling up the wazoo in a couple of months if you catch my drift.

Good run with the Elise though. Those cars will be released in the US I believe next year. About friggin' time.

andyp
September 2nd, 2003, 14:57
I think my Ginetta would give the Elise a run on that same route ....

http://www.njhealey.com/BritFest2003/PhotoAlbum/images/album-0/PIC5~1.JPG

180bhp for ~1200lbs = 0-60 ~4.8 secs

MichaelJP
September 3rd, 2003, 11:09
Originally posted by andyp
I think my Ginetta would give the Elise a run on that same route ....

Not sure about that, but I'd certainly like to watch :race:

- Michael

dabull
September 5th, 2003, 05:18
That Ginetta is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen ! It must be a pure joy to drive you lucky dog. :addict: :addict:

andyp
September 5th, 2003, 15:06
Bull,

Thanks very much. For other photos, please see My Ginetta Page (http://www.njhealey.com/Ginetta/). It is a real blast to drive ... although it's the kind of car you take out just for the sake of driving it, not because you have to get somewhere (the RS6 is way more comfortable and practical for actually going places).

If you've ever driven a go-kart (who hasn't!) then that's exactly what the Ginetta feels like. You don't actually turn the steering wheel, you think about moving left or right and it follows your thought ... at least, that's what it seems like!

For some info on the Ginetta's racing prowess, see http://www.dareuk.com/motorsport.htm ... the G4 gives the Elise a beating over and over, as driven by Mark Walklett, son of one of the Ginetta company founders.

All the best,
Andy

dabull
September 5th, 2003, 17:29
Andy, thanks for sending the album, WoW that car is fantastic. How did you make that album? Thanks again for sharing the pictures of your car. Looks like everyones dream play car. :addict: :addict:

steve
September 5th, 2003, 18:39
Hi Andyp,

Nice Ginetta you've got there. It being a belgian car... and me living in belgium.... did you come over to belgium to buy it in a dealership? how come you buyed this rather strange and not known brand?

Is there a dealership here and where?

really beautiful car !

Greetings,

Steve

andyp
September 5th, 2003, 20:29
Bull and Steve, thanks for your comments.

Bull: it looks like you have a nice collection too. To create the album I used Photo Album Studio 1.0 (http://www.exapower.com/PhotoAlbumStudio/web/) which is freeware.

Steve: the Ginetta is British. The factory started in Essex (where I grew up) and for a brief while was located in Scunthorpe in the North and is now (as DARE) back in Essex.

I don't know of any history with Belgium. I do know that a few British companies, such as Austin Healey (another one of my faves) did development work and speed trials on Belgium roads back in the sixties.

Andy

Speedracer
September 7th, 2003, 12:38
A few years back when I was interested in vintage racing, I wanted a G4 real bad. I contacted the factory who told me they could provide me with a car with a chassis with a 1967 VIN so I could import it without all the hassle of emissions etc. I didn't do anything at the time , but seeing your car makes me wish I did, How old is your car, and when did you get it?
Speedracer

Speedracer
September 7th, 2003, 12:45
I see from your album that it's a '72. How did you get it federalized or did't you? I noticed you don't have plates.
Speedracer

andyp
September 8th, 2003, 02:42
Speedracer,

I bought my car last year from somebody in the States so I didn't need to worry about importing. My car passed the NJ inspection (to 1972 emission standards) so now it does have plates. I fit the front plate mounting with a couple of wing nuts so I can take it off for shows, photos or track (when I eventually get it there).

I'm curious as to how much of my car actually came from 1972 but haven't contacted the factory to find out yet ... my guess is that the chassis and some of the panels did, but that's it.

Andy