PDA

View Full Version : F/S 03RS6 US spec nav unit. RNS-d?

DHall1
December 21st, 2009, 22:06
If anyone can use this setup. I just pulled it out of the car in working order. It may be an upgrade for those that didnt have nav or an A6/Allroad owner. I just finished the removal by installing the pop up cup holder in the console this weekend.

DVD trunk mounted nav unit.
Multifunction console switch.
Bracket to mount the switch in the console.

You will need to use a Vagcom to configure your dash to communicate with the nav and check to make sure your ant is there.

150 with all the CDs I have.

Christmas special. :rs6kiss:

RS6-4dr911
December 21st, 2009, 22:37
I believe that is the RNS-C, as in "CD", pretty the sure the RNS-D's were Europe only and the predecessor to the RNS-E since it had a screen, but smaller and less user-friendly controls.

DHall1
December 21st, 2009, 22:59
Then c it is! Glad I had the ?? in there.

Then why are the RNS-e's called eeeeee?

peiserg
December 21st, 2009, 23:25
dave, i could be convinced to buy it... this is the touch screen navi system? how hard is it to install? i'm theorizing i'll just have someone install it for me unless it's pretty easy.

gerry

DHall1
December 21st, 2009, 23:33
No touch screen. Even the RNSe is not touch screen. Its the stock turn by turn directions in the dash cluster.

I installed the newer RNSe in my car a few weeks ago. This is what I took out.

Here is the link to what I installed.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19837&highlight=rnse+install

dave, i could be convinced to buy it... this is the touch screen navi system? how hard is it to install? i'm theorizing i'll just have someone install it for me unless it's pretty easy.

gerry

AudiRS4ever
December 21st, 2009, 23:36
Then c it is! Glad I had the ?? in there.

Then why are the RNS-e's called eeeeee?

E is for Excellence......... :lovl:

DHall1
December 21st, 2009, 23:42
I ccceee

Pics below

MaxRS6
December 22nd, 2009, 01:19
might be interested in the antiquated unit. :lovl:

http://www.comptropolis.com/article/images_1/flintstones-car.jpg

SAFE4NOW
December 23rd, 2009, 14:19
If anyone can use this setup. I just pulled it out of the car in working order. It may be an upgrade for those that didnt have nav or an A6/Allroad owner. I just finished the removal by installing the pop up cup holder in the console this weekend.

DVD trunk mounted nav unit.
Multifunction console switch.
Bracket to mount the switch in the console.

You will need to use a Vagcom to configure your dash to communicate with the nav and check to make sure your ant is there.

150 with all the CDs I have.

Christmas special. :rs6kiss:

Which disc's do you have sir?

S

DHall1
December 23rd, 2009, 14:25
Copies of all US discs. I think. Need to check again as I have only used the SW disc.

DonS
December 24th, 2009, 02:41
My disc must be either old or for a different locale as I can't find my own house with the RSN-C. Maybe your discs would do the trick especially at your price. How the heck do I eject the disc or figure out version or locale or... I obviously don't know this system yet!

RS6-4dr911
December 24th, 2009, 03:16
Sounds like you've got the wrong disc inserted. There are 10 CD's total and if you're not on the right one, it's lost. Or, you may live in a new subdivision that's not mapped on your version. Most likely the former.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductUUID=jlwKCggQd8EAAAEO.eEZ6VwB&CatalogCategoryID=U6YKCghBpsoAAAEa2YVSpqc0&HideCrumb=&JumpTo=OfferList&PersistNavigationMenu=YES

For the cost of the updated set, you can buy a Garmin or iPhone that are easier to use, faster, and constantly updated.

And FYI, the RNS-D:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/largepic.asp?i=1277367&noPics=9&imgsrv=1&current=4&make=AUDI&model=RS6

DHall1
December 24th, 2009, 05:15
Don,

The discs go in the unit thats mounted in the trunk. LR quarter panel. Hit eject button and out it comes.

My disc must be either old or for a different locale as I can't find my own house with the RSN-C. Maybe your discs would do the trick especially at your price. How the heck do I eject the disc or figure out version or locale or... I obviously don't know this system yet!

snoopra
December 24th, 2009, 05:32
............. I just finished the removal by installing the pop up cup holder in the console this weekend......
Did you have to take the console apart for the install?

DHall1
December 24th, 2009, 19:57
I did take the console apart.

However, if you have the nav controls you have the bracket already. If your careful not to scratch...you can lift up on the nav button at the same time pry the gap and the nav unit will pop out. Then just slide the cup holder in.

If you have the dummy tray then you must take the console apart and install the bracket.

The console R&R is alittle pesky job but knowing where the clips are and how they come apart helps the second time.

Take time removing the ebrake cover as a little plastic retainer can get stuck.

Did you have to take the console apart for the install?

RS6-4dr911
December 26th, 2009, 21:54
Anyone thinking of taking that unit or that still has the RNS-C unit, I now have all of the console control buttons if anyone needs a spare set. They're in very good condition. Yours for the asking.

Also, does anyone know what else can go in there? I really don't need another crappy Audi cupholder, was hoping for maybe a deep pocket so I can throw my iPhone and radar detector remote in there.

DonS
December 27th, 2009, 01:26
DHall1 or others. I'd like to purchase someone's Midwest (Wisconsin area) CD. I'd gladly trade or sell the only one I got with my SoCal car - California, Hawaii, & Nevada (2003). NavTec sell the single disk for $129, the entire set for $249. I have a portable GPS I use when I have a trip planned. I thought the factory one would be nice when I get into trouble and need some quick "find home" instructions.

RS6-4dr911
December 27th, 2009, 02:55
eBay

All kinds of used nav cd's on there.

DonS
December 27th, 2009, 03:57
Yes, there are a bunch of Navi discs on eBay, but none that list the correct part or catalog numbers. It's the usual crap shoot.