PDA

View Full Version : Best wheel design

gnomik007
August 31st, 2003, 23:41
Hi everyone.I am thinking of upgrading for new set of wheels and I am curious about your choices.I kept looking for something better than the original 19" but to be honest the original wheels suit the baby just right.What do u think?

Ra5a
September 1st, 2003, 00:59
it seems that the rs6 with 19" doesnt handle as good as an rs6 with 18"

I would go for the 18" sportec's
or 18" MTM bimoto style (don't know if there's an 18" of that one, but it looks awesome :) )

Sportec:
http://www.ovtech.net/INDEX/SPORTEC/500-SPORTEC-MONO-10_01-09-25_01.jpg
http://www.ovtech.net/INDEX/SPORTEC/500-SPORTEC-MONO-10_01-09-25_02_Audi-A4.jpg

MTM bimoto:
http://www.rs6.com/gfx/articles/011b-l.jpg

MileHighRS6
September 1st, 2003, 01:17
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ra5a
[B]it seems that the rs6 with 19" doesnt handle as good as an rs6 with 18"

How come, the car doesn't handle as well with 19" Wheels

MileHighRs6

Ra5a
September 1st, 2003, 01:26
Originally posted by MileHighRS6
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ra5a
[B]it seems that the rs6 with 19" doesnt handle as good as an rs6 with 18"

How come, the car doesn't handle as well with 19" Wheels

MileHighRs6
i wouldnt know but i read it in alot of mags.

it seems they designed the car for 18"...
but i guess you can only notice it when you really start to race..
not with normal driving..

Erik
September 1st, 2003, 08:39
Originally posted by Ra5a
it seems that the rs6 with 19" doesnt handle as good as an rs6 with 18"

Not true.

JP4
September 1st, 2003, 12:55
Originally posted by Erik
Not true.

Champion Racing uses 18's on the 2 race prepared RS6's. If the car handled better with 19's, don't you think they would be using them?

Erik
September 1st, 2003, 13:01
No. It would be braking the rules :D

"SPEED GT – the rules

Tyres: A maximum diameter of 18 inches, one make tyre from Toyo. A minimum of three of the four tyres used in qualifying must also be used in the race. The quantity of rain tyres is free.

Tyres: Toyo, Front: 275/35/18, Rear: 275/35/18 (SCCA standard tyre) "

JP4
September 1st, 2003, 13:03
Originally posted by Erik
No. It would be braking the rules :D

"SPEED GT – the rules

Tyres: A maximum diameter of 18 inches, one make tyre from Toyo. A minimum of three of the four tyres used in qualifying must also be used in the race. The quantity of rain tyres is free.

Tyres: Toyo, Front: 275/35/18, Rear: 275/35/18 (SCCA standard tyre) "

I see....I wondered if it might be something like that. Thanks Erik. Once again you have proven that you are the mannnnn! :bow:

Erik
September 1st, 2003, 13:10
The MTM bimoto wheel is in either:

8,5 x 19 ET 35 LK 5 x 112 + 5 mm (spacer)

or

9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5 x 112 +10mm (spacer).

Erik
September 1st, 2003, 13:18
Originally posted by JP4
I see....I wondered if it might be something like that. Thanks Erik. Once again you have proven that you are the mannnnn! :bow:

Thanks, but I had no idea before I looked at the rules. *luck*

If the 18" or the 19" are better or worse than the other, I have no hard evidence to prove it.

BUT - I have a strong feeling that many journalists have mislead people into believeing that the 18" are better than the 19", mainly becasue they would be more comfortable.

I personally don't think so, but I have no hard evidence to prove it. Perhaps it is already around in some old thread somewhere.

This is stock 19" vs. tuned 19" and 20" for instance:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=548

nene
September 1st, 2003, 15:38
Personally, I'm a big fan of large rims. Give me 19" or 20" rims, and I'm happy to bling bling, minus the chrome of course.
I will not touch racing with larger or smaller rims, since I've never done it with either. I've ran the S4 on 18" and 19" rims on 1/4 mile straight track, and found no difference whatsoever. But that's not really racing is it? It's drag strippin'!!!

As for comfort level, I've driven the S4 on 18" and 19" for long rides, about 500 miles one way.
If the pavement here in the Northeast was good to say the least, I'd run 19" or 20" rims all year round. But the roads here in the Northeast suck, as it is uneven, full of potholes, and pothole fixes that stick about 3cm off the regular pavement. About 80% of the roads really suck, including major highways.

Since this is what I have to deal with, the 18" rims I've found to be a bit better to ride as my daily commute. However, since the Summer is only about 3 months long in the Northeast, going with 19" or 20" bling bling (minus chrome) is acceptable.

From my long rides from Boston to the New Jersey shore (Cape May and Avalon) the 19" rims did make feel more of the imperfections of the road. My tolerance for this is quite high, but the same can't be said for the girlfriend (GF). So, I used to swap out the rims for the long trips. Arduous job, but I did not mind doing it.

There is less rubber between the road and the rim, and you will feel some level change in comfort. I don't think it's a huge amount, but it depends on a few variables such as your tolerance for road conditions, the road conditions itself, and the length of time spent on any major trip.

In my case the worst part is not the change in level of comfort that bothers me. What bothers me is how to avoid getting my nice large rims bent. I've been wanting to get 20" rims for the RS6, since I think they will be awesome during the Summer. But I feel that 19" rims will live longer. I'm waiting out for next Summer to make decision.

Those are my experiences!

PS: I like the BiMoto rims better then the Sportec. However, going with either will make your ride look sweet.

GoFastKindaGuy
September 1st, 2003, 17:15
I'm trying a test fit of the OZ Superleggera III in 18 x 8.5 to be sure of brake clearance. If all clears, I'll mount the Dunlop SP9000s and use the stock wheels for winter tires.

I've stayed with 18 only because of the pot holes. Extra side wall saves the wheels. Big wheels look great. However, this is a driver and I must be somewhat practical.
:incar: