PDA

View Full Version : 3 lights - not Christmas lights

RS6VA
December 19th, 2009, 22:48
Out of the blue after only putting ~30 miles on the car, I got check engine, ESP and ABS - lucky me. Strange thing is that the ESP and ABS went away on their own, I guess the beast can self correct?

Check engine fault gave me the dreaded Torque converter/ stuck off description. I had the tech (non Audi dealer) clear the faults, drove for another week and the check engine light came back on but this time no torque converter issue (at the Audi delaership), it was something minor with some bad hoses, at least this is what I am hoping.

Is it possible that the software the first tech used (VAGCOM) is incorrect, I cant imagine the torque converter correcting itself. Any thoughts? I am trying to sort this out before I do any performance upgrades.

One more thing, I used Audi of Tysons in VA the second time and they treated me awesome - The shop foreman is on point wiht these cars just in case someone is looking for a dealer in NOVA.

Thanks.

GEN XER
December 19th, 2009, 23:25
It may take more than a week for the TCC code to come back but it will come back. How many miles do you have?

Hy Octane
December 19th, 2009, 23:57
Drive it hard for a bit. Should trigger it..

RS6VA
December 20th, 2009, 00:17
Bought the car with 55,700, now have ~56,200. If it does come back, looks like I will be suing SA, the dealer that told me the car was perfect and serviced. Less than 500 miles and new brake pads, hoses and there could be a RMS leak. We just got 2'+ of snow here in VA so i probably wont be able to drive for a week or so.

snoopra
December 20th, 2009, 02:31
If you got the TC code I recommend taking it easy until you replace the TC or rebuild/upgrade Trans/upgrade TC.

GEN XER
December 20th, 2009, 02:40
Bought the car with 55,700, now have ~56,200. If it does come back, looks like I will be suing SA, the dealer that told me the car was perfect and serviced. Less than 500 miles and new brake pads, hoses and there could be a RMS leak. We just got 2'+ of snow here in VA so i probably wont be able to drive for a week or so.

Name the dealer so we can avoid them. I would say if you got a warranty then do worry about a suit, I dont see a law suit going very far unless they put all of what you said in writing.

RS6VA
December 20th, 2009, 13:44
Name the dealer so we can avoid them. I would say if you got a warranty then do worry about a suit, I dont see a law suit going very far unless they put all of what you said in writing.

It was Audi of Schaumburg. They did claim in writing that the car was perfect mechanically. I figure I will make them pay one way or another, either to me or to a lawyer. Funny thing is that I asked them to sell me the Audi warranty 3 business days after I received the car and I wouldnt worry about it, but they claimed they couldnt sell the warranty becasue it had to be done on the day of the sale.

RS6-4dr911
December 20th, 2009, 20:56
Sorry to hear about the TC issue, but unless you have some proof that they actually knew about the issue, you're probably SOL. They may have been telling the truth, after all, a TC code has to be thrown for the first time some time. If the previous owner babied it, and you took it out to blow out the cobwebs to try out the new toy, this is in fact quite likely what happened.

Check your state laws, there, may be some form of implied warranty that will cover it.

Might I suggest that your first course of action be to approach the sales manager and politely state your case and what you think a fair solution is, rather than walking in with legal guns ablazin'. You'd be amazed at the difference in the results.

PS - and what is an "RMS leak"?

AudiRS4ever
December 20th, 2009, 21:38
I concur. It's all about the approach. When someone threatens me with a lawyer I typically tell them the conversTion is over and now they have to talk to my lawyer. When someone is nice there is pretty much nothing I won't do to remedy the situation.

Rear Main Seal????? I thought that was a Porsche problem, not Audi.

Hy Octane
December 20th, 2009, 22:17
Didnt your purchase include some kind of basic 90 day warranty or something or was it as is?
Might check your state laws as mentioned above as I believe there is some sort of basic mandatory warranty on used car purchases just to deal with this sort of thing. I mean, there has to be some sort of consumer protection or they could sell you a car with no engine and you'd be screwed.no?

GEN XER
December 21st, 2009, 00:13
Yes I think VA has a 60 day lemon law. I dont think they were accurate on the warranty request though. I bought a warranty from Checkard Flag Audi and I didn't even by the car from them. They may be referring to a CPO warranty and not a Fidelity warranty. I hope you get taken care of.

See link for VA Lemon Law.
http://www.lemonjustice.com/lemon-law/VA_lemon_law_used.php
http://www.carlaws.com/

DHall1
December 21st, 2009, 02:45
I guess my thread on how to diagnose these pesky trans and TC problems was a complete waste of time.

Yeah. Exactly.

DHall1
December 21st, 2009, 02:48
+1

Exactly. It was "perfect" the day they sold it to you.

IMHO, more and more of these cars are getting "dumped" when a major failure is diagnosed. It is no accident that several of the RS6's in recent history have had bad transmissions.

Why do I say this? Well, its easy to clear the codes and send the car off to the dealer for trade in. Its saves a 10,000 repair bill. Thats why.

The code always comes back but can stay quiet for several weeks.

Sorry to hear about the TC issue, but unless you have some proof that they actually knew about the issue, you're probably SOL. They may have been telling the truth, after all, a TC code has to be thrown for the first time some time. If the previous owner babied it, and you took it out to blow out the cobwebs to try out the new toy, this is in fact quite likely what happened.

Check your state laws, there, may be some form of implied warranty that will cover it.

Might I suggest that your first course of action be to approach the sales manager and politely state your case and what you think a fair solution is, rather than walking in with legal guns ablazin'. You'd be amazed at the difference in the results.

PS - and what is an "RMS leak"?

DHall1
December 21st, 2009, 02:49
Did you buy the extended warranty?

If so, how much time has elapsed between purchase and now? miles?

It was Audi of Schaumburg. They did claim in writing that the car was perfect mechanically. I figure I will make them pay one way or another, either to me or to a lawyer. Funny thing is that I asked them to sell me the Audi warranty 3 business days after I received the car and I wouldnt worry about it, but they claimed they couldnt sell the warranty becasue it had to be done on the day of the sale.

DHall1
December 21st, 2009, 02:51
Subject titles. :doh:

RS6-4dr911
December 21st, 2009, 13:54
In need of more posts to reach a milestone of some sort Dave?

While all you said may be true, it doesn't change his situation. Unless he has some way of proving they knew there was a problem, he's SOL.

And it still remains true, however likely or unlikely, that a code has to surface for the first time some time. And, the scenario I stated is a likely way for there not to have been a problem before but create one now.

So in the absence of any proof they knew about it, he's better off, at first, going in diplomatically rather than raising hell and threatening lawsuits because they'll simply circle the wagons. If they have nice friendly conversations, there's a chance someone will slip and spill a few beans about the car's history, if in fact there is one.

And let's forget this gem on another thread by the OP:

Raced an R8 Yesterday
<table id="post176047" class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" style="border-style: solid none solid solid; border-color: rgb(255, 255, 255) -moz-use-text-color rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(255, 255, 255); border-width: 1px 0px 1px 1px; font-weight: normal;">http://rs6.com/forum/images/statusicon/post_old.gif November 29th, 2009, 12:56 <!-- / status icon and date --> </td> <td class="thead" style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(255, 255, 255) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 0px; font-weight: normal;" align="right"> #4 (http://rs6.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176047&postcount=4) </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(255, 255, 255); border-width: 0px 1px;" width="175"> RS6VA (http://rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=15466) <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_176047", true); </script>

http://rs6.com/forum/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

</td> <td class="alt1" id="td_post_176047" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(255, 255, 255);"> <!-- message --> His car is tip. I had left foot on brake right foot on gas rev'd to about 4k and let it go
<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
03 RS6 DG (stock for now)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
08 Escalade
<!-- / sig --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(255, 255, 255); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;">
</td><td class="alt1" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(255, 255, 255) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
So there's a very good chance the tranny WAS fine when it left the dealer. And if there ever is a lawsuit, his posts are now on the internet for all the world to see that he was "racing" which will pretty much void any warranty if there was one to begin with. You even admonished him about that technique being hard on the transmission

And before you go there about the 4k rpm, he later admitted he wasn't really watching the tach. And if it DID go to 4k, that would admittedly certainly indicate a problem, but we don't how much of this technique he had already done or if it really did do this from day one.

DHall1
December 21st, 2009, 14:16
Cant help it I ramble on in 10 directions at once.

Didnt say it changes VAs position. Didnt say SAudi had prior knowledge.

Did say that many recent sales have had bad transmissions shortly after the sale. Did say it is poss to clear the codes and dump the car by trading it in.

If VA goes down the "I will sue you" route...yes a big waste of time.

In need of more posts to reach a milestone of some sort Dave?

While all you said may be true, it doesn't change his situation. Unless he has some way of proving they knew there was a problem, he's SOL.

And it still remains true, however likely or unlikely, that a code has to surface for the first time some time. And, the scenario I stated is a likely way for there not to have been a problem before but create one now.

So in the absence of any proof they knew about it, he's better off, at first, going in diplomatically rather than raising hell and threatening lawsuits because they'll simply circle the wagons. If they have nice friendly conversations, there's a chance someone will slip and spill a few beans about the car's history, if in fact there is one.

And let's forget this gem on another thread by the OP:

Raced an R8 Yesterday
<TABLE class=tborder id=post176047 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(255,255,255) 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid">http://rs6.com/forum/images/statusicon/post_old.gif November 29th, 2009, 12:56 <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(255,255,255) 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: rgb(255,255,255) 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(255,255,255) 1px solid" align=right>#4 (http://rs6.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176047&postcount=4) </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px" width=175>RS6VA (http://rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=15466)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_176047", true); </SCRIPT>

http://rs6.com/forum/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_176047 style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(255,255,255) 1px solid"><!-- message -->His car is tip. I had left foot on brake right foot on gas rev'd to about 4k and let it go
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
03 RS6 DG (stock for now)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
08 Escalade
<!-- / sig -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid">

</TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid" align=right>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
So there's a very good chance the tranny WAS fine when it left the dealer. And if there ever is a lawsuit, his posts are now on the internet for all the world to see that he was "racing" which will pretty much void any warranty if there was one to begin with. You even admonished him about that technique being hard on the transmission

And before you go there about the 4k rpm, he later admitted he wasn't really watching the tach. And if it DID go to 4k, that would admittedly certainly indicate a problem, but we don't how much of this technique he had already done or if it really did do this from day one.

RS6VA
December 21st, 2009, 14:32
I agree with all of the above, but there were a couple of other issues as well and I have come out of pocket to correct them. As an example they claimed that they did the 55k service yet the hoses (not sure what they are called) that sit on top of the engine were all deteriorated, the coil pack was not changed, there is a RMS leak, the wheels were all badly scraped and the brake pads were gone. I had to put in about $800 and havent even driven 500 miles.

The TC issue is icing on the cake. I didnt expect a perfect car, I expected what was represented.

Further, I have been very nice with them about all of the above and quite honestly wouldnt expect them to pay for 100% if there is truly an issue. I have asked them to stand behind what they sold and we could work out something reasonable. When this was declined, I figured I may have to take it a step further. At the very least it will help the next person should they run into a problem like this.

One last thing, another poster on this board had an issue with SA, I dont recall the details but it did not work out in his favor either.

RS6VA
February 8th, 2010, 21:55
It looks like I got very lucky and ANA is picking up the tab on the TC. I didnt relaize the engineas as well as the trans had to be removed. They found several other issues during the process that I will have corrected as well, mostly minor leaks. Is there anything else that I should have them look at while the trans and motor are out?

BTW, Schaumburg did not stand behind the car, and in my opinion they new the problem was there. As an example, the vauum hoses were leaking which were causing misfire codes, the hoses were in bad shape, this did not happen in 15 miles. There were other issues as well, but lets leave it here.

IMO, Audi went above and beyond what I expected and hopefully they penalize that dealer in some way. I am going by the dealer tomorrow to take pics of the engine and trans. Stay tuned...

mmaturo
February 8th, 2010, 22:21
It looks like I got very lucky and ANA is picking up the tab on the TC. I didnt relaize the engineas as well as the trans had to be removed. They found several other issues during the process that I will have corrected as well, mostly minor leaks. Is there anything else that I should have them look at while the trans and motor are out?

BTW, Schaumburg did not stand behind the car, and in my opinion they new the problem was there. As an example, the vauum hoses were leaking which were causing misfire codes, the hoses were in bad shape, this did not happen in 15 miles. There were other issues as well, but lets leave it here.

IMO, Audi went above and beyond what I expected and hopefully they penalize that dealer in some way. I am going by the dealer tomorrow to take pics of the engine and trans. Stay tuned...

Glad it worked out for you. If it makes you feel any better I bought my car as what was a CPO fully inspected etc car for $70K 4 1/2 years ago and had the exact same issues immediately...overboost shutting down turbos which was caused by TC checking out. The dealer at the time tried to fix it but couldn't figure it out (why the overboost codes) so a second dealer did. But lesson is that the real condition of the car doesn't seem to matter to some dealers.

Have them check all the engine seals. Up to you if you want to change out o2 sensors that are easy to get to now but not later. Check the corners of the intercoolers for leaks.

DHall1
February 9th, 2010, 00:38
That is a good report. Glad Audi is taking care of a known issue on these cars. You did the right thing by buying from a Audi dealer and buying the ext warranty.

Agreed on Schamburg but I wouldnt trust most dealers as far as I could throw them.

skribe
February 9th, 2010, 02:11
[edit] Oh, caught your follow-up post... nevermind. Like I thought with the dealer... TG Audi has some integrity!

Audi of Schaumburg? Good luck. You're dealing with sharks. Sharks with frickin laser beams. Expect to get nowhere and you won't be disappointed. Also Illinois is pretty "as-is" with used cars...

You will never get a damning paper trail out of a stealership...

You could try first getting your local dealer to print out Audi's log of service history on the car, "just for your records." Scan through it looking for evidence of trans issue. There might be something there, you never know.

If nothing, try to figure out who the previous owner was, it's not that hard if you try... make contact and determine if there was a known problem... not a freakout "I'm getting screwed" but a "hey, had a little slip in the trans, probably nothing, but did you ever notice anything?"

Communicate via email in hopes that there was a known problem, that he'll confirm it in a "casual" email conversation. Give that email to your lawyer, which will give you a lever against the dealer, as it's the dealer's responsibility to inspect and check off that there are no preexisting problems.

Sigh. Good luck.

MaxRS6
February 9th, 2010, 02:32
While it is out- take a look at the motor mounts & intercoolers. I would also put a set of the Venair hoses on. You might also want to consider replacing the O2 sensors and EGT sensors.

RS6VA
February 9th, 2010, 14:51
Thanks, heading over to the shop in a few and will ask about o2 sensors and the other items you guys pointed out. At this point I am just happy that the problem is being corrected so I am not going to push it with SA.

ben916
February 9th, 2010, 20:27

How the F@#$ did you get this to happen????

Did you call AoA directly?

Some of us are getting lucky this week... :)

RS6VA
February 10th, 2010, 00:23
Yes, very lucky - saved me a ton of time and money as I was intent on filing suit. I guess it pays to know the right people sometimes…<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Anyhow, here are some pic’s of the motor out for those interested. I cant believe the amount of work required to replace the TC.

V8weight
February 10th, 2010, 01:33
Hmm, interesting, they didn't pull my motor when my torque converter was replaced last year. I guess your tech is either a by the book kind of guy, or his hands are just too big for plan B.

DHall1
February 10th, 2010, 02:02
VA,

Can you please open a Photobucket account and post some bigger pictures in the thread instead of these little guys?

This is good stuff and its nice to see big pictures. Nice try below Pat but VA has the large jpg files and they will be much better in quality and size.

Example
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/IMG_2795.jpg?t=1265766736

Yes, very lucky - saved me a ton of time and money as I was intent on filing suit. I guess it pays to know the right people sometimes…<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
Anyhow, here are some pic’s of the motor out for those interested. I cant believe the amount of work required to replace the TC.

V8weight
February 10th, 2010, 02:22
Highjacked! Edit: hmm, not big enough.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/attachment-9.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/attachment-8.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/attachment-7.jpg

SAF
February 10th, 2010, 03:16
You mean like this?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4344563149_6538575812_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2804/4344562821_542fb1dd4d_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2738/4344564653_7f970e4b30_b.jpg

RS6VA
February 10th, 2010, 15:52
Hmm, interesting, they didn't pull my motor when my torque converter was replaced last year. I guess your tech is either a by the book kind of guy, or his hands are just too big for plan B.

V8 - they dropped the entire front under carriage - everything is out forward of the A pillar. I hope they know how to put it back together.

RS6VA
February 10th, 2010, 15:54
VA,

Can you please open a Photobucket account and post some bigger pictures in the thread instead of these little guys?

This is good stuff and its nice to see big pictures. Nice try below Pat but VA has the large jpg files and they will be much better in quality and size.

Example
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/IMG_2795.jpg?t=1265766736
sure, i will give it a shot this evening.

V8weight
February 12th, 2010, 22:37
How's this coming along?

Audi42LV8
February 12th, 2010, 23:01
ESP and ABS came on my A6 and it was the ABS Speed sensor wire, pinched and exposed wire. Could I through on the RS6 turbos on my A6?

V8weight
February 13th, 2010, 00:41
ESP and ABS came on my A6 and it was the ABS Speed sensor wire, pinched and exposed wire. Could I through on the RS6 turbos on my A6?
Are you on crack?

RS6VA
February 14th, 2010, 01:50
How's this coming along?

They started putting everything back together but the dumbasses didnt correct a couple of the things that I asked them to. Typicall incompetence from a dealer... No communication. I should have the care back next week and hopefully everything is perfect.

RS6VA
February 14th, 2010, 01:59
Lets see if this works.http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/rs6va/Picture096.jpg?t=1266112598
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/rs6va/Picture098.jpg?t=1266112635
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/rs6va/Picture099.jpg?t=1266112672

DHall1
February 14th, 2010, 02:29
Nice job on the pics. Now we are talking.

This whole forum is just about trained.

Good luck with the idjuits. Lets hope they get things right.

When your ready for the reflash....look up SAF and his dyno thread. Its nuts.

I see from the above pics the tech did not stuff plugs in the top turbo inlets. A big no no