PDA

View Full Version : New Tires

03rs6
December 16th, 2009, 14:53
thinking about purchasing new tires for the beast and was wondering what other owners are putting on their cars. i'm leaning towards all seasons because of my location but not neccessary; also ride comfort and noise is a must. i have the oem 18's.

DHall1
December 16th, 2009, 15:00
All seasons will do nothing in snow and ice. If you get much of that and plan to drive the car. Then it should be dedicated winter tires. The guys that run in the winter could help.

Dunlop M3 wintersport come to mind
Bridgestone LM22

All season choice if you get little snow or ice
Goodyear F1 all season.

thinking about purchasing new tires for the beast and was wondering what other owners are putting on their cars. i'm leaning towards all seasons because of my location but not neccessary; also ride comfort and noise is a must. i have the oem 18's.

Mudguts
December 16th, 2009, 15:15
Michlin Pilot Sport AS Plus is the #1 tire in the ultra high performance all season category according to Tirerack.com...

I haven't used them over a winter yet, but they get top marks in the reviews...

-MG

DHall1
December 16th, 2009, 15:18
Hey Matt,

I didnt have the chance to look up those codes yet. You still need an answer? As for Fidelity...I would wait 30 days to turn in any claim.

Check the thread above....love or hate. A fellow Canadian is looking for a RS6. Shoot him some pointers.

How about some pics of your car and a two week report on impressions.

Michlin Pilot Sport AS Plus is the #1 tire in the ultra high performance all season category according to Tirerack.com...

I haven't used them over a winter yet, but they get top marks in the reviews...

-MG

Golffather
December 16th, 2009, 15:27
In the UK, the new tyre of choice within the RS6 faternity is the Vredesteins Ultra Sessanta. Great value for money and exceptional performance in wet and dry.

Are they available in the US? It's had superb reviews and won a number of tests against the usual stalwarts.

Came 2nd here:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2007-evo-tyre-test.htm

Good link here for a number of private reviews:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Sessanta.htm

KCRS6
December 16th, 2009, 15:31
I have Michelin PS2s for my summer tire and Dunlop Wintersport M3s for my winter tire. The Dunlops have been amazing in the snow!

Mudguts
December 16th, 2009, 15:39
Hi Dave,

No proiblems on the codes... I cleared them and they haven't come back, so probably just the car getting used to the freezing cold weather up here in Toronto - a lot colder then California this time of year!

Plus I bought a vagcom cable - not cheap, but should be standard issue along with a warranty IMHO.

I saw the Canuck post and already sent ScrewScott a PM.

My two week impression of the RS6 is mixed... I'll add comments to his thread along with my two week impression.

Pictures to come as soon as we get some decent weather up here...

Cheers,
Matt

DonS
December 16th, 2009, 16:26
My Continental ExtremeContact DWS are phenominal overall. They are quiet (far more than the PS2), handle good (compared to the PS2), track well, price is 1/3 less than the PS2 (more sales volume of the DWS?), are far better than the PS2 in wet and snow. We had 20" of snow and I was amazed that the only way I could light-up the ECT was to REALLY punch it. My old AWD Jag was always on the traction control with regular mud and snows and far less power. With all that said, I'll guessing the Snow traction will fall off greatly as the miles accumulate on these DWS tires...

mmaturo
December 16th, 2009, 16:54
I have Michelin PS2s for my summer tire and Dunlop Wintersport M3s for my winter tire. The Dunlops have been amazing in the snow!

Ditto exactly and fully recommend both. The
M3s are outstanding, quiet and really feel great. My car came with all seasons and i got them off as quick as possible as corning/grip just didn't feel up to what the car could really do. I was right about that. But those were Continental something...whatever came on the car out of the box if you didn't get P-zeros.

DHall1
December 16th, 2009, 17:28
What is the deal with Tirerack dropping the XL Michelin line?

I am going to give them a call.

mmaturo
December 16th, 2009, 22:35
What is the deal with Tirerack dropping the XL Michelin line?

I am going to give them a call.

No idea...call Luke (or email luke@tirerack.com) there as he is the friend of our local Audi Club (he knows me certainly). Discount Tire has access to them though as that is where i have been getting great deals through also. I can give you the name of the manager/store we with the Audi club here work with as the store gives us a discount on top of what is on the website. They will match Tirerack shipped also.

HighCountryRS6
December 17th, 2009, 00:46
I've had the Dunlop Sport M3's on my beast (winter only, 4 seasons) and I really like them. They're louder, and softer, than the summer Perellis but they are great on snow. Just put some Michelin Pilot Sport AS on it but I don't have enough miles on them to comment.

LIRS6
December 17th, 2009, 03:38

2nd the above. As you are in Mass, don't screw around with all-season - they will not do your car justice in the summer, and they will fall short in the winter as well. I have been running Dunlop Wintersport M3's during the winters, and have had great results in heavy snow in Vt. etc. And don't forget to buy "XL" rated tires.

papadoc
December 17th, 2009, 05:07
Living in Northern California, no need for the DWS, but I'm liking these more and more, especially at $100/tire less than the PS2s. I was not getting 20k miles out of the PS2s (at 87k on the car), and these are rated for much longer wear as well. Won't know for at least a year how they hold up.

03rs6
December 18th, 2009, 03:23
thanks for the info. we're expecting a rough winter so i think i'm going with the winter tires and change over to high performance for spring and summer. this will be my first winter in the rs6 so i'm not taking any chances.