PDA

View Full Version : Guess who has an enormous coolant leak?

V8weight
December 16th, 2009, 00:29
The answer is: Pat does:doh:
I noticed on Sunday that I was low on coolant, so I topped it up (which only took about a quart). Now I'm down about 2-3 quarts, and I can smell it when I come to a stop. When I got home today and parked it in the garage, there was a pretty good sized puddle underneath it within a matter of minutes. I put it up in the air and removed the lower engine shield and it's running down the back of the engine, out of the bell housing, and seems to be dripping off of both turbos.

DHall1
December 16th, 2009, 00:32
Want me to dig up some pics of the back of the engine?

Hmmm both sides....then its up higher and in the middle.

The answer is: Pat does:doh:
I noticed on Sunday that I was low on coolant, so I topped it up (which only took about a quart). Now I'm down about 2-3 quarts, and I can smell it when I come to a stop. When I got home today and parked it in the garage, there was a pretty good sized puddle underneath it within a matter of minutes. I put it up in the air and removed the lower engine shield and it's running down the back of the engine, out of the bell housing, and seems to be dripping off of both turbos.

V8weight
December 16th, 2009, 00:38
Want me to dig up some pics of the back of the engine?

Hmmm both sides....then its up higher and in the middle.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's probably either the after-run coolant pump located under the intake, or the rear block coolant tube, which requires an engine pull. I'm still under warranty, but the dealership didn't seem half as worried about it as I was. They set up an appointment for Friday. I'll have to call my regular service advisor in the morning, that simply won't do.

4everRS
December 16th, 2009, 03:13
AARGG! Good deal for the warranty, but not until friday? Maybe they'll have to keep it at the dealership and they'll give you a loaner, like an R8! :incar:

V8weight
December 16th, 2009, 03:52
AARGG! Good deal for the warranty, but not until friday? Maybe they'll have to keep it at the dealership and they'll give you a loaner, like an R8! :incar:
Hopefully my regular service rep can get me in sooner, he was already gone when I called. We both know what a gallon of G12 coolant costs:hihi:, I'm not really interested in dumping it in for the next three days only to have to squeegee off the garage floor. I'm usually lucky if I get an A6 3.0 to drive while my car's in, but I guess it beats any of the enterprise offerings.

4everRS
December 16th, 2009, 04:06
Ya , I should have left the G12 there for you.

V8weight
December 17th, 2009, 04:13
I'm thinking my leak is coming from this coolant pipe at the rear of the engine.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/DSCF9259.jpg

uberrs6
December 17th, 2009, 06:05
A common leak point back there is the o-ring that seals the temperature sensor (green thing in the picture). Happened to my B5 A4 1.8t and my B5 S4 2.7T. The parts guy at a VW dealer gave me the o-rings for free...

V8weight
December 18th, 2009, 20:43
It is the after run coolant pump. They had to order the new pump, so it looks like another Christmas without the beast. Oh well, I have an enterprise Ford Focus to destroy.

DHall1
December 18th, 2009, 20:55
Is it under the intake?

R&R thru the top?

It is the after run coolant pump. They had to order the new pump, so it looks like another Christmas without the beast. Oh well, I have an enterprise Ford Focus to destroy.

MaxRS6
December 18th, 2009, 21:17

keeping the miles down in order to have them at a later date. However; it p*SSes me off when a "Target of Opportunity" pops up at times.

The last Ford Focus I had during a rental period wasn't all bad. At least mine had XM and I felt like I could act snobby around the gas guzzlers around me...:nono:

V8weight
December 18th, 2009, 21:34
Is it under the intake?

R&R thru the top?
Yep, it's under the intake, so they'll have to pull the lock support forward to remove the front air pipe, then remove the intake. It's not that hard of a job, but it looks like the pump probably won't be in until Wednesday, which pretty much leaves my car sitting until after Christmas. Oh, they'll be replacing my drivers door latch assy. as well. My dome lamps aren't coming on when I open that door in particular. On the bright side, I'll get to feel what it's like to put 87 octane in a car for the next couple of weeks.

V8weight
December 31st, 2009, 05:18
Finally got the call this evening that my car is done. After 13 days of driving a Focus, I'm ready. I realized just how busy the dealership actually is when the service advisor called me at 8pm, considering he gets off at 4:30 and service closes at 7:00.