PDA

View Full Version : Temperature scare

GoFastKindaGuy
August 31st, 2003, 19:27
Business brought me thourgh Milwaukee during Harley's 100th celebtation. That slowed traffic to a crawl. I was eyeing bikes and stupid drivers to avoid being a target. Then a dreaded warning light for water temp overheat! Gage at right peg instilled fear of a fried engine at 700 miles. With the slow speeds I figured it must be real. I bailed at the first safe opportunity, about two minutes. In the interim, the peg dropped to cold (like a short) and the warning disappeared.

To be save, I turned the motor off to cool. No other symptoms. No steam. No apparent excessive heat. No obvious changes (like spewing or dripping) either under the hood or under the car. I restarted the car and got the OK indicator, and the temp gage moved to the center. I drove home without incident, but live in fear.

I think I must have a bad sensor or gage. Advice or similar experience anyone?

nene
August 31st, 2003, 22:12
If you have a friend with a VAG, have him/her plug it into your car and check for any DTCs. I'd do it for you, but I'm all the way in Boston. Seriously though, a VAG is always good to have, if you plan on continously buy Audi cars.

Bauer
September 1st, 2003, 20:00
Nene,

Where can I buy a VAG and about how much are they?

Bauer

03 RS6
01 S8
92 S4

Erik
September 1st, 2003, 20:04
I think http://www.ross-tech.com

Bauer
September 2nd, 2003, 16:23
Erik,

Thanks for the info.

Bauer

GoFastKindaGuy
September 12th, 2003, 00:13
OVERHEAT! I had this problem diagnosed and repaired today after another reoccurance of an overheat water temp warning. Turns out, it was a short in the wiring from the temp sensor to the gage. The wiring was routed tightly and, as the engine flexed through its mounts, caused first rubbing then a short circuit where the wires passed through the firewall.

All better, now -- but have to wonder, are there others out there? Or was this an isolated case of poor installation?

:rolleyes: