PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

mmaturo
December 13th, 2009, 22:43
I somewhat suddenly have a decent oil leak that I cannot see off the bottom of the engine and seeming near where the oil filter is. I just had the oil changed before thanksgiving. Is there anything about the oil filter that could leak or has some lower engine seal finally checked out? Can't see much from looking under front of car other than it seems to be just left of center where oil is leaking out of the air duct openings in the lower engine cover.

V8weight
December 14th, 2009, 00:20
Hmm, I can really only speculate with out actually seeing, but there are two oil lines that connect at the base of the oil filter and run up to the engine oil cooler. I think they are prone to leaking at some point, especially in a mid-western car with the engine out as many times as yours.

RS6-4dr911
December 14th, 2009, 01:37
I just had a valve cover gasket replaced that was making quite a mess down below, apparently a common problem according to my tech.

mmaturo
December 14th, 2009, 03:41
I just had a valve cover gasket replaced that was making quite a mess down below, apparently a common problem according to my tech.

Well that was done already about 8 months ago and the top and sides of the engine look ok so i am wondering about the above comment on hoses/oil lines...are the oil lines metal?...why do i sense a loose clamp/or connection in my future. They had a hose/line blow out down below back then when doing the tranny so i have a feeling it may be loose again. I do have some leaking near the pulley on the right side of the engine where it comes through but its not enough for what i am seeing...i am a little annoyed as the left side was already redone with the valve cover and this doesn't look new.

V8weight
December 14th, 2009, 04:05
The oil cooler lines that I'm talking about are steel, and attach with a coupler nut/ o-ring seal. So the coupler could either be loose, or the o-ring could have failed. I wouldn't rule out rust either. This may sound stupid, but seeing that you just had an oil change it may be as simple as the old oil filter gasket being left in place when they changed the filter. I was always taught to double check that the gasket has come off with the old filter, as if they end up being doubled up, they'll blow out and cause a leak.

snoopra
December 14th, 2009, 04:24
Or a loose oil filter since you just have an oil change. Take the bottom shield off for a better look.

mmaturo
December 14th, 2009, 04:34
The oil cooler lines that I'm talking about are steel, and attach with a coupler nut/ o-ring seal. So the coupler could either be loose, or the o-ring could have failed. I wouldn't rule out rust either. This may sound stupid, but seeing that you just had an oil change it may be as simple as the old oil filter gasket being left in place when they changed the filter. I was always taught to double check that the gasket has come off with the old filter, as if they end up being doubled up, they'll blow out and cause a leak.

I asked as i remember reading someone having the problem with the seals at the oil filter (leaving old one) but couldn't remember what exactly it was about the filter, so thanks. Unfortunately i live in a condo building with no place or ability to get the car up nor the easy physical ability to do digging myself under the car but back to the dealer she goes on Tuesday. Hope its related to something simple as i just blew extra cash i had on refinishing wheels and new tires. Will report back Tuesday...it better be free.

mmaturo
December 15th, 2009, 21:09
turns out to have been the drain plug seal leaking...glad that didn't fall out.

MaxRS6
December 15th, 2009, 21:24
Congrats on the resolution!

mmaturo
December 15th, 2009, 21:27
first time i have ever walked out paying just $31 and that was for wiper blades.

MaxRS6
December 15th, 2009, 21:31
first time i have ever walked out paying just $31 and that was for wiper blades.

the revolving door to the inside. :doh: That $31 must have felt good.:race: