PDA

View Full Version : Brakes or whatever looks rusted

Majestic
December 9th, 2009, 13:21

My brakes or router or whatever you call it looks rusty

Is that safe to drive? How did it get rusty?
I thought this thing shouldn't rust.
Anyways I have no problems breaking at all. Should I just leave it alone?

SAFE4NOW
December 9th, 2009, 14:06

" rust " on the rotor wouldnt bother me, it happens, your's does seem alittle more than what I have seen here in Texas. But depending on climate ( Northern Car's ) that looks right.

Now, all the buildup in your cooling holes... I would clean that up.

S

DHall1
December 9th, 2009, 14:48
More info? Where are you located?

The cooling holes get filled with rotor/brake material over time and you can clean them out.

Car wash power sprayer(wear a cover on the noggin)
Or a dowel about the same size poking thru each hole.

The salt in the environment will rust bare metal and you have bare metal in those holes so it will rust.

LIRS6
December 9th, 2009, 16:02

I would check the width of the rotors due apparent wear .. there is a good-sized lip top/bottom, it may be time to replace them anyway

ben916
December 9th, 2009, 19:08
I don't know about you but there looks to be a crack all the way from outside of rotor to inside by the hub... about 1 o'clock or so.

Are these cast iron rotors? hence the rust...

s42ski
December 9th, 2009, 21:59
agree with Ben - looks like a crack in the rotor going through one of the drill holes ( high stress area). I would replace soon.

MaxRS6
December 9th, 2009, 22:56
+1 on Replacement- However; I'm no brake expert so don't rely on my less than .03 worth

:deal:
Rotor- Round silver thingamajig that is rusted
Router- Network equipment
Breaking(sic)- aka braking

:)

hahnmgh63
December 9th, 2009, 22:59
Mine look stressed (small hairline cracks) about the same, just without the rust and the lip. Agressive driving in the RS6 will definitely overheat the rotors in short time. I have new rotors and pads to install front & rear but I need to order the Phaeton duct kit from Grizz to do at the same time.

ben916
December 9th, 2009, 23:53
+1 on Replacement- However; I'm no brake expert so don't rely on my less than .03 worth

:deal:
Rotor- Round silver thingamajig that is rusted
Router- Network equipment
Breaking(sic)- aka braking

:)

I usually learn things the hard way:

About 19yo, my buddy's brakes were squeaking something ferocious, we got out of the P.O.S. car at his house and I went to look at the front rotors. "Hey! Cool! They are glowing Orange!!!" Darwin took over and I, like a moth to the light, touched it with my index finger... instant blister followed up by a bunch of words a sailor would say (wait... I was in the Navy at that time... hmmm) and ran into the house trying to hide my foolishness and get an ice cube or three...

MaxRS6
December 10th, 2009, 00:07
I usually learn things the hard way:

About 19yo, my buddy's brakes were squeaking something ferocious, we got out of the P.O.S. car at his house and I went to look at the front rotors. "Hey! Cool! They are glowing Orange!!!" Darwin took over and I, like a moth to the light, touched it with my index finger... instant blister followed up by a bunch of words a sailor would say (wait... I was in the Navy at that time... hmmm) and ran into the house trying to hide my foolishness and get an ice cube or three...

That's one way to remove the old fingerprints to put distance between past and long arm of the law...:music:

Majestic
December 10th, 2009, 15:08
Took those photos in the summer. I never really look at my wheels and took a closer look at them today in the day light and the crack is gone, if it ever was one and the rust looks less or about the same. I will have to think about getting a new big break kit from Grizz.

How much is it for the whole thing?

snoopra
December 11th, 2009, 01:41
I don't know about you but there looks to be a crack all the way from outside of rotor to inside by the hub... about 1 o'clock ...
It's not a crack, it's the brake material that deposited on the rotor. Happens to me all the time. The rust comes from water or moisture. I sometimes let the beast sleep for extended periods and when I take her out, front rotors are rusted and brakes "locked" to rotor (like emergency brake locked!).

GEN XER
December 11th, 2009, 06:15
Well we use to be able to get parts from Kyle at fast-vw-parts but he is out of business now. I think the next best place for replacement parts is Genuine-vw-parts. Link Below.
http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214407

If a big brake kit is what you want then grizz is the way to go. I hope this helps.
I think its time for new rotors either way.

SAFE4NOW
December 11th, 2009, 15:28
Well we use to be able to get parts from Kyle at fast-vw-parts but he is out of business now. I think the next best place for replacement parts is Genuine-vw-parts. Link Below.
http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214407

If a big brake kit is what you want then grizz is the way to go. I hope this helps.
I think its time for new rotors either way.

I tried using their online catalog but did not see Rs6 in the pull down menu.

FWIW, I priced Rotors today:

Fronts $ 270 each
Rears $ 262.50 each
( My actual cost )

Steve

GEN XER
December 11th, 2009, 17:50
I tried using their online catalog but did not see Rs6 in the pull down menu.

FWIW, I priced Rotors today:

Fronts $ 270 each
Rears $ 262.50 each
( My actual cost )

Steve

The RS6 wont be in the pull down. You have to go to Audi vehicle and put in the part number. That's great pricing on the rotors if that is OE. It is only slightly higher than the $1010 I paid for mine. Who did you price them through?

SAFE4NOW
December 11th, 2009, 19:23
The RS6 wont be in the pull down. You have to go to Audi vehicle and put in the part number. That's great pricing on the rotors if that is OE. It is only slightly higher than the $1010 I paid for mine. Who did you price them through?

They are OEM.. That is my actual cost.
( I am a shop )

Steve

GEN XER
December 11th, 2009, 21:45
They are OEM.. That is my actual cost.
( I am a shop )

Steve

OK so you get them from an Audi Depot?

SAFE4NOW
December 12th, 2009, 01:11
OK so you get them from an Audi Depot?

Basically , yes

Steve

GEN XER
December 12th, 2009, 02:31
Basically , yes

Steve

Well can we order thru you? If so that would help a lot.

Majestic
December 12th, 2009, 14:00
Do you have the ones that Grizz has on his web site?
Those were the ones that i was thinking about ordering if i had to get a whole new setup