PDA

View Full Version : Full timing belt write up with pics coming soon, suggestions?

V8weight
December 9th, 2009, 02:16
4everRS is coming down on this Saturday and we'll be changing his timing belt, tensioner, rollers, water pump, thermostat, misc. vacuum lines, etc. I'm hoping to do a full pictorial write up for future reference, and was wondering if there are any specific pics or operations you would like covered. I would assume everyone knows how to remove the lower engine insulator and wheel liners, but should I include the bumper removal? I'm hoping to be fairly elaborate on what needs to be removed to pull the lock support forward and how to set the belt tension, if you can think of anything else let me know.

DHall1
December 9th, 2009, 02:25
I would say KISS for the basics like the bumper. You could also link the diy thread on the bumper removal for that part.

Yes, carrier lock position needs to be detailed. And how to rotate the carrier out of the way and keep the AC lines intact.

From that point on.....it needs detail. I dont know if you need a pic for every step but step by step instructions help.

Sounds like some fun. Get your vacation to AZ planned. 1st class B&B at my house. Should be a blast.

V8weight
December 9th, 2009, 02:42
I would say KISS for the basics like the bumper. You could also link the diy thread on the bumper removal for that part.

Yes, carrier lock position needs to be detailed. And how to rotate the carrier out of the way and keep the AC lines intact.

From that point on.....it needs detail. I dont know if you need a pic for every step but step by step instructions help.

Sounds like some fun. Get your vacation to AZ planned. 1st class B&B at my house. Should be a blast.
That's kind of what I figured, if someone cannot remove the front bumper without instructions, a timing belt replacement probably isn't for them. I didn't know my timing belt trip included lodging, that's quite an offer. I'm hoping to come up with a detailed game plan once Christmas blows over, hopefully sooner.

DHall1
December 9th, 2009, 03:36
You cant move in but week is fine. We have plenty of room and good location between Phoenix and Tucson. Lots of roads, lots of shopping (for you know who) and my wife and I are pretty cool for old folk. Ask Scott, Greg and Ben. I just get competitive because of all my years of racing mtn bikes. Lets get the dates hammered out to see if Greg can make it over as well.

That's kind of what I figured, if someone cannot remove the front bumper without instructions, a timing belt replacement probably isn't for them. I didn't know my timing belt trip included lodging, that's quite an offer. I'm hoping to come up with a detailed game plan once Christmas blows over, hopefully sooner.

ben916
December 9th, 2009, 04:48
I have been know to turn a wrench or two... :)

Dave is good folk.... not too sure about what he means by OLD?!??!?

V8weight
December 9th, 2009, 18:13
I have been know to turn a wrench or two... :)

Dave is good folk.... not too sure about what he means by OLD?!??!?
I think he was just referring to the contrast. I'm 25, so still a little wet behind the ears:)

hahnmgh63
December 9th, 2009, 20:21
Yea, what does Dave consider "Old Folk". When I raced motorcross, there was no such think as Mtn bikes back then. So does that make me old?

Aronis
December 9th, 2009, 20:22
My Two Cents:

Flame Suit On.

Check.

Video!!!! And wear a nice suit while you do the work!

Mike

Just Kidding:

I am looking very much forward to seeing your pictures! I'd like to see the how to do for other reasons as well. Like replacing the Turbo's Etc...that all begins with taking the front of the car off.

Mike