PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Module in. Thanks JIM!

AudiRS4ever
December 7th, 2009, 23:11
Everything went pretty smooth on the install. Works fine, but I do have a question. My RNS-E isn't downloading any of my phonebook or information. I have an IPhone 3Gs and it downloads on my daily and my wife's A4, so I'm wondering is it because I have a European RNS-E, or is it something else? Thanks!

p3u
December 7th, 2009, 23:15
Stupid question, but you did pair the phone right?

Also is the RNS-E new, or used? Only reason I ask if the phone book is full on it, it will not download anything.

AudiRS4ever
December 7th, 2009, 23:36
Yes, I did pair the phone. I bought the RNS-E from an S6 owner, but he didn't have bluetooth in it. How do I check to see if it's full? Thanks!

p3u
December 7th, 2009, 23:39
I honestly have no idea on how to check that, other then just checking the address book and seeing if there are names you don't recognize :)

Hopefully its an easy fix for you whatever it is.:mech:

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 00:07
Checked, nothing in the address book. I appreciate you trying to help though. Hopefully someone will know what's going on with it. I already tried un-pairing it and then re-pairing, but to no avail. :nana:

bruce
December 8th, 2009, 00:08
What did you put in? OEM or aftermarket ?

I'm putting in the RNS-E as well and was considering this.....but have no info.

RS6-4dr911
December 8th, 2009, 00:13
I've got an iPhone 3G (no S) and a Euro that was converted, works for me but I'm not sure it actually copies all 1100 of my contacts since when I search I don't usually find what I'm looking for, but there's a bunch of them in there. To state the obvious make sure you're not looking in the directory instead of the phone book (or is it vice-versa?). It will definitely take a while on the first one, so maybe your just not giving long enough?

GBG
December 8th, 2009, 00:14
Everything went pretty smooth on the install. Works fine, but I do have a question. My RNS-E isn't downloading any of my phonebook or information. I have an IPhone 3Gs and it downloads on my daily and my wife's A4, so I'm wondering is it because I have a European RNS-E, or is it something else? Thanks!

AudiRS4-- I also have the RNSE Bluetooth unit (and an Iphone) and cannot download my Iphone contacts to the RNSE unit. For whatever reason, I just don't think it's within the unit's capabilities. But what you can do-- if you have the stamina-- is manually load names/phone numbers into the RNSE unit when in the telephone mode. :0:

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 00:35
AudiRS4-- I also have the RNSE Bluetooth unit (and an Iphone) and cannot download my Iphone contacts to the RNSE unit. For whatever reason, I just don't think it's within the unit's capabilities. But what you can do-- if you have the stamina-- is manually load names/phone numbers into the RNSE unit when in the telephone mode. :0:

I may have to do that. Or like 4d911 said, I may not be giving it long enough to load. I haven't driven the car with it in yet, as it is snowing pretty good here. I'll give it some time when driving it and if that doesn't work I may have to load them manually as you suggested. Thanks guys!

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 00:37
What did you put in? OEM or aftermarket ?

I'm putting in the RNS-E as well and was considering this.....but have no info.

OEM. Definitely worth it even if it doesn't load the phone book.

uberrs6
December 8th, 2009, 00:37
Glad to hear the install went well. I could never figure out how to download the contact list from my iphone or my Google phone. I had to enter each contact into the RNS-E one by one. Once you get them added the callers name appears in the drivers information display between the tach and speedo. Pretty cool!

Cheers
Jim

hahnmgh63
December 8th, 2009, 01:11
Try asking the question on the Audi forum. They have an RNS-E section.
http://audiforum.us/rns-e/

bruce
December 8th, 2009, 01:57
OEM. Definitely worth it even if it doesn't load the phone book.

Ok, more info please? I searched the forums and couldn't find enough details:

OEM PN?

Where'd you get it?

Did you replace OnStar ?

TIA

bfly
December 8th, 2009, 03:39

I have an iPhone 3G and it works fine. It might be your coding or the firmware version of your RNS-E. The newest US FW is 260. My coding for the BT module in the RS6 is 10707 and the RNS-E is coded to 0509631.

vangelis
December 8th, 2009, 08:12

Glad that installation went smooth for u and works fine. I need to know where you installed the mic as I know that if BT is coming from factory you will get a 2 mic at the top console where you have the controls of sunroof and lights, there is a plastic part should be replaced have two holes for mic and that is what am looking for (part number).

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 14:16
Glad that installation went smooth for u and works fine. I need to know where you installed the mic as I know that if BT is coming from factory you will get a 2 mic at the top console where you have the controls of sunroof and lights, there is a plastic part should be replaced have two holes for mic and that is what am looking for (part number).

I didn't replace the mic, rather I re-pin'd the OnStar wiring and it now uses that mic. Sorry I can't be of any help on that part.

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 14:19
Ok, more info please? I searched the forums and couldn't find enough details:

OEM PN?

Where'd you get it?

Did you replace OnStar ?

TIA

I bought the module from Jim (uberrs6) on the board. Unfortunately I don't have the part number anymore and don't want to pull it out of the car again to check. Sorry about that, but maybe Jim will know. It did replace the OnStar. I wish I could be more help on the Part Number.

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 14:20
Try asking the question on the Audi forum. They have an RNS-E section.
http://audiforum.us/rns-e/

Thanks for the link. I really appreciate it.

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 14:21

To do that, I push the Name button on the RNS-E and then manually load them, correct? Just checking so if I have to do that I am doing it correctly and don't end up having to do it twice. Thanks again everyone for the responses.

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 14:27
Glad to hear the install went well. I could never figure out how to download the contact list from my iphone or my Google phone. I had to enter each contact into the RNS-E one by one. Once you get them added the callers name appears in the drivers information display between the tach and speedo. Pretty cool!

Cheers
Jim

Jim,

That's the odd part. When I make a call or receive a call it comes up with their name on the screen and on the instrument cluster. So....... think I'm going to post this on the NAV forum that hahnmgh63 refered me to. Thanks!

RS6-4dr911
December 8th, 2009, 14:57
It's probably only showing what your phone shows in the DIS. If the name is in the directory, you should be able to look for it when not making a call. Since you say you can't, then it's not loading. How many contacts do you have in your iPhone? I seem to recall if the number is too high it won't load at all. Like I said, I have 1100 and they appear to load. The search doesn't seem to work but if I scroll down I can always find the name I'm looking for.

As far as manual loading, you could simply treat it (the NAME directory) as a speed dial function since it won't recognize your iphone favorites.

I tried to post the Owners Manual but it's bigger than allowed on here. PM me and I'll e-mail it to you. Not sure how helpful it is since it doesn't have info on the phone module, just the RNS-E. Anyone out there have the BT Module manual?

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 15:10
I only have about 300 names in my contact list, so it shouldn't be too many. And like I said, my wife's A4 has factory RNS-e and Bluetooth and my phone works perfect with hers. I think it's going to be a software problem. It's like my tech told me yesterday, "You have a car that never had RNS-e in it. And you have a bluetooth module that was never meant to be in a C5." He wasn't making excuses, he was just reminding me that I am trying to put a lot of technology in a car that was never meant to have it. PM sent and I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

hahnmgh63
December 8th, 2009, 15:27
I think your right about the software issue. The software you have is probably fine, just needs to be recoded with Vagcom most likely. Either the Navigation coding or something under the adaption fields.

DHall1
December 8th, 2009, 15:33
Euro C5s had RNSE

I would say its the coding and vag that will make things happen.

The car was designed to accept these items. Its just the techs here in the US have never seen them.

:eye:

I only have about 300 names in my contact list, so it shouldn't be too many. And like I said, my wife's A4 has factory RNS-e and Bluetooth and my phone works perfect with hers. I think it's going to be a software problem. It's like my tech told me yesterday, "You have a car that never had RNS-e in it. And you have a bluetooth module that was never meant to be in a C5." He wasn't making excuses, he was just reminding me that I am trying to put a lot of technology in a car that was never meant to have it. PM sent and I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 15:52
I thought the RS6's in Europe had RNS-D. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. I have re-checked my coding and it is fine. I actually didn't have to change anything in the coding at all. Everything was already set for Telematics. The only thing I had to do was set the adaptation in the instrument cluster so it would display the names. I am hoping you're both right about the coding. I posted on the Audi forum and am looking forward to hearing back. Thanks again guys!

uberrs6
December 8th, 2009, 17:23
Here's where I bought the BT kit from...

http://www.nsxjr.com/BTo.html

If you click on the picture of the unit you can make out the Audi part number.

He also sells a kit for non-Onstar cars.

Jim

bruce
December 8th, 2009, 20:31
Here's where I bought the BT kit from...

http://www.nsxjr.com/BTo.html

If you click on the picture of the unit you can make out the Audi part number.

He also sells a kit for non-Onstar cars.

Jim

Thanks !!!

I ordered the OnStar replacement :applause: :mech:

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 20:51
It was coding. I had to change one number that I didn't think needed to be changed and presto, everything loaded within 1 minute. :jlol: I'm extremely happy with the system now and thanks again hahnmgh63 for sending over the audiforum. Those guys know their stuff. Thanks everyone for helping me trouble shoot. :incar:

GBG
December 8th, 2009, 21:59
It was coding. I had to change one number that I didn't think needed to be changed and presto, everything loaded within 1 minute. :jlol: I'm extremely happy with the system now and thanks again hahnmgh63 for sending over the audiforum. Those guys know their stuff. Thanks everyone for helping me trouble shoot. :incar:

Happy to hear it! When you have a minute, let me know what you changed! Thanks.

GBG

AudiRS4ever
December 8th, 2009, 23:14
Happy to hear it! When you have a minute, let me know what you changed! Thanks.

GBG

Under phone (77) my coding was 0000777. I changed it to 0010777. I didn't think that I needed to have RNS-e High, but guess I was wrong. Those guys knew exactly what was wrong. I am constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge from some of these boards. This board still takes the cake though. :addict: Thanks again.

Daniel
December 11th, 2009, 00:12
I also installed the kufatec variante ! very easy to call now !

bruce
December 11th, 2009, 00:47
I also installed the kufatec variante ! very easy to call now !

And what is the kufatec variante? If I may be so bold.....

DHall1
December 11th, 2009, 06:15
:cool2: Coding? Really? :cool2:

Ok, now I see a reason to get the BT. Crap

Getting all my bberry contacts loaded in the RNSE with addys would be a nice addition. Crap another project. Crap

Euro C5s had RNSE

I would say its the coding and vag that will make things happen.

The car was designed to accept these items. Its just the techs here in the US have never seen them.

:eye:

RS6-4dr911
December 11th, 2009, 16:25
:cool2: Coding? Really? :cool2:

Ok, now I see a reason to get the BT. Crap

Getting all my bberry contacts loaded in the RNSE with addys would be a nice addition. Crap another project. Crap

If you're thinking what I'm thinking you're thinking, you won't be able to access your bberry contacts addresses throught the RNSE, only your NAME directory, which must be manually loaded.

LIRS6
December 11th, 2009, 16:59
If you're thinking what I'm thinking you're thinking, you won't be able to access your bberry contacts addresses throught the RNSE, only your NAME directory, which must be manually loaded.

Why not?

RS6-4dr911
December 12th, 2009, 05:31
Why not?

Just cuz.

They're just not available through the nav module. NAME directory addresses are available. Check the audiforum.us (formerly NAVPlus, NOT audiforums.com) to see if anyone knows of a way to upload a database of names and addresses, but I don't think there is one.

AudiRS4ever
December 12th, 2009, 15:29
Ok, now I'm confused. That is exactly what this post was originally about, but after going to NAV Forums they told me my coding was wrong. My RNS-e does download my entire phone book now. I haven't entered anyone's name manually. Am I missing something? I thought I posted that a few posts above this one.

DHall1
December 12th, 2009, 16:23
Look back at my post 4 back.

I made the comment that by Blackberry should be able to load in the phone as well.

4dr911 says it wont work like the Iphone.

We got sidetracked and trashed your thread with a different topic. :nana: Bad Dhall

AudiRS4ever
December 12th, 2009, 17:02
Now that's funny! Well, I could be in some trouble then, because I really am sick of my Iphone dropping calls every 2 minutes and was about to look at getting another phone. Possibly another Crackberry. Oh well......... too funny that I didn't realize what you were talking about.

p3u
December 12th, 2009, 17:23
Now that's funny! Well, I could be in some trouble then, because I really am sick of my Iphone dropping calls every 2 minutes and was about to look at getting another phone. Possibly another Crackberry. Oh well......... too funny that I didn't realize what you were talking about.

PM sent...

RS6-4dr911
December 12th, 2009, 18:06
Directory (NAME)

Phonebook (TEL)

Two different animals. To my knowledge, many, many phones will pair correctly and you will be able to see your phone's contacts through the Phonebook, but when you select one, the only thing it will do is try and dial that contact.

Only the names on your Directory, will have the address AND phone info available to either module (NAV or TEL).

AudiRS4ever
December 12th, 2009, 19:49
Yeah, I'll admit it. I'm slow....... Now I see what you're saying.

P3U, response sent.