PDA

View Full Version : Hyperactive fans?

melsas
December 7th, 2009, 18:51
Fans start after 3-4 minutes of driving and run 2-3 minutes after shutdown. This is the case w/o A/C & even in 35 degree weather. Only started this in the past 3 or 4 months.
Changed water temp sending unit (thanks-hahnmgh63) but it made no difference. Dealer checked briefly & said there is no problem. They did suggest checking the car from cold start. 'Study guide' has water & oil temp limits for the fan operation, but my fans start well before these numbers.
Anyone seen this change in their car?

RS6NZ
December 7th, 2009, 19:05
Fans start after 3-4 minutes of driving and run 2-3 minutes after shutdown. This is the case w/o A/C & even in 35 degree weather. Only started this in the past 3 or 4 months.
Changed water temp sending unit (thanks-hahnmgh63) but it made no difference. Dealer checked briefly & said there is no problem. They did suggest checking the car from cold start. 'Study guide' has water & oil temp limits for the fan operation, but my fans start well before these numbers.
Anyone seen this change in their car?

Might be worthwhile getting the thermostat checked (search 'thermostat' to get others' experiences with similar behaviours of the fans). I had a similar experience, and that's what it was. Not a cheap fix though (part is cheap, but you effectively need to do the same disassembly procedure as for a timing belt change).

snoopra
December 7th, 2009, 19:24
Symptoms sounds like it could be a failed thermostat:(

Hy Octane
December 7th, 2009, 19:29
Yep. Its the thermostat.. but i'm more concerned that your dealer says all is working ok. Its not.

RS6Steve
December 7th, 2009, 20:07
Would agree thermostat.

Check out RS246.com, several people in the UK and Europe have experienced the same probem.

p3u
December 7th, 2009, 20:10
What everyone else said, mine was doing the same thing till I got the timing belt job done with a fresh thermostat.

4everRS
December 7th, 2009, 20:23
I have also recently developed this. My fans start immidiately after startup and continue to run for a few mins after shutdown, in MN where it is 10 degrees right now. I am doing the t-belt this weekend with V8weight. We will surely do a decent DIY. I read on the other forums it is the t-stat as well. I will report back next week to say for sure if a new thermostat indeed fixes it. I was lucky in a way to develop this before we do the t-belt service, although I would have installed a new t-stat anyway with the belt.

4everRS
December 7th, 2009, 20:41
melsas,

have you thrown a CEL code on yours?, or anyone else for that matter. I did end up throwing a cooling system code - can't remember the # now. I have found it interesting that the water temp has continued to stay in the normal range though :vhmmm: ?? I keep thinking that it shouldn't if the thermostat has failed.

p3u, what were your symtoms like before the fix? Everything normal besides the fans running?

p3u
December 7th, 2009, 21:06
melsas,

p3u, what were your symtoms like before the fix? Everything normal besides the fans running?

No other symptoms, just the fan would turn on early, and stay on for a good 3-5 min after the car was off. People would comment it sounded like a jet engine shutting down, I miss that sound :jlol:

4everRS
December 7th, 2009, 21:12
Ok good, I feel better about it now. I have been getting the same comments about the jet engine thing. :hihi: Did you get a code?

p3u
December 7th, 2009, 21:14
Ok good, I feel better about it now. I have been getting the same comments about the jet engine thing. :hihi: Did you get a code?

No code, make sure you replace the temp sensor while your doing it as well as it could have gone bad too.

melsas
December 8th, 2009, 00:46
Thanks to everyone for their input. No codes so far. Temp reads normal. 4ever, I look forward to hearing if the thermostat is the fix for your car. I believe I will leave it with the dealer overnight so they can check it from cold start.
Let's hope Mr. Fidelity will pay the bill!

hahnmgh63
December 8th, 2009, 01:05
I thought I read somewhere that the temp gauge indication is partially computer generated by the chip in the cluster. I wonder if it would be more accurate to use Vagcom to check the temp or to check it at the climate control cluster.

4everRS
December 11th, 2009, 04:50
Got in my car today and noticed the fans didn't turn on as (what's become) normal. I did not change anything! Havent had a chance to check the codes and see if it is still there. Still doing the timing belt on Saturday, and as glad as I am to have the fans not running, I wish I would know why. Temps around here have went to highs in the single digits. Temp with wind chill was -23F this morning. This is really the only thing that has changed around here. Don't really know if it could have affected my issue. :vhmmm:

DHall1
December 11th, 2009, 05:36
I would think the vag to be more accurate.

For those thinking the thermostat is closed or restricted....the car would need to be running hot to trigger these fans. Running hot and hot water not running thru the radiator. Thus, the rad will be cool.

Put your hand on the radiatior core and end tanks. Tell us if the core/tanks are warm/hot.

I thought I read somewhere that the temp gauge indication is partially computer generated by the chip in the cluster. I wonder if it would be more accurate to use Vagcom to check the temp or to check it at the climate control cluster.

melsas
December 13th, 2009, 15:36
Tech at dealer found no codes. He says all is functioning properly. He gave me a page from service manual which describes both fans activation criteria including after-run.
Fans activate from signal from A/C or coolant temp > 210F. Not sure when one fan runs vs. both fans. After-run can be from 30 to 400! seconds. Does anyone know the coolant temp. when gauge is at mid point?

4everRS
January 12th, 2010, 02:41
As promised, I am updating my findings after the 75k service. As I mentioned earlier, the fans started working normally 5 days before Pat and I did the service. A little disappointing. I really would have liked to be more definitive in my results. I have not had any fan irregularities since the service. We replaced the t-stat, water pump, t-belt, rollers, pulleys, and tensioner. ECS sent the wrong drive belt which was pretty disappointing. I will essentially have to do to same service again minus the t-blet to get a new drive belt on. The old t-belt looked like new as Pat said in another post, but some of the rollers felt a little rough. Not terrible, but you could tell the difference between the new and old ones.

But I digress, I did notice that my water temp was running different and has been ever since the service. It now runs smack in the middle of the gauge. Before it ran between 1/4 and middle. I have found out that it is suppose to run in the middle. My '99 A6 ran in the middle, but didn't know what to expect with the Beast, just wrote it off as normal when it ran low. I have a feeling that the t-stat was slowly and intermittently failing, and that caused the fans to go into emergency mode.

Now I very faintly hear the fan run as startup and for about 30 seconds and shut down. I can tell it is barely running as I can barely hear it. Nothing like before when it sounded like a jet engine.

V8weight
January 12th, 2010, 02:59
Glad to hear it worked out. I've been doing some reading and apparently it's normal for the ac to come on at start-up to dry condensation out of the system, thus the fans run for a bit as the car warms up and the ac compressor cycles. But like you said, they should only be running on low.

Born2be
January 27th, 2010, 01:54
This just started on my beast, too...engine fan running 5 minutes after engine shutdown...never did it before.

Did a search and found this thread. Just confirming that it's the thermostat and bonus that fidelity platinum will cover it?

Thanks.

W>

hahnmgh63
January 27th, 2010, 02:28
It must be a short from the moisture that we sent you in the form of heavy rains from the Northwest. We've had a fair amount of sunshine up here lately, thanks for taking our rains.

melsas
January 27th, 2010, 14:27
B2B:
Let us know if you open a claim w/ Fidelity through your dealer. Very interested in how this plays out.

Born2be
January 27th, 2010, 16:15
Got to bring the S8 in for 30k service, then will bring the beast in after that...will post results.

W>

LIRS6
January 27th, 2010, 18:39
This just started on my beast, too...engine fan running 5 minutes after engine shutdown...never did it before.

Did a search and found this thread. Just confirming that it's the thermostat and bonus that fidelity platinum will cover it?

Thanks.

W>

Fidelity platinum covered my thermostat replacement. And yes, I had same initial symptoms. Don't wait too long for the repair - within a few days, the temp started to rise dramatically.

Born2be
January 29th, 2010, 21:24
Made the appointment to bring it in to the shop on Monday. Got in it today for a quick run to the store...now it shuts down just fine. Got back home...shuts down just fine.

Maybe the humidity we had down here was causing a short? Good luck troubleshooting the problem now :vgrumpy:

W>

Born2be
February 1st, 2010, 17:37
Brought it into the (private not dealership) shop this morning and explained the problem and that it was happening only sporadically. I told them that research from this forum pointed to a probable thermostat issue. Told them I had the Fidelity warranty and would they please just replace the thermostat. They said "we can't just throw parts at the problem until we can recreate the problem to see exactly what it is". They would replace the thermostat on my dime but not as a warranty claim.

I'm not looking to get flamed here, but do you think that is reasonable/normal or should I have expected them to be a little more flexible and work with me re: covering the thermostat under warrantly? Or just shut up and replace the thermostat myself? :mech: Thanks.

W>

DHall1
February 1st, 2010, 17:42
Not when the thermostat is a 1500 dollar job.

Sit tight and see what they find.

You may need to wait till it acts up again and just drive it into any dealer or shop to verify.

Brought it into the (private not dealership) shop this morning and explained the problem and that it was happening only sporadically. I told them that research from this forum pointed to a probable thermostat issue. Told them I had the Fidelity warranty and would they please just replace the thermostat. They said "we can't just throw parts at the problem until we can recreate the problem to see exactly what it is". They would replace the thermostat on my dime but not as a warranty claim.

I'm not looking to get flamed here, but do you think that is reasonable/normal or should I have expected them to be a little more flexible and work with me re: covering the thermostat under warrantly? Or just shut up and replace the thermostat myself? :mech: Thanks.

W>

RS6-4dr911
February 1st, 2010, 17:51

W>

I'm with the shop. They'd have to get the repair approved before they do the work anyway, so you'd be on the hook if they did it and it was not approved. If they are reputable, and their actions indicate they are, they do what they can to help you but not more than is allowed.

Hy Octane
February 1st, 2010, 18:20
Usually, when they try to use this comeback about "its working fine for us" I tell them " OK. So, you wont take my word that this is a failing part, so when it fails, I will hand you the towing bill and any expenses I incur as a result"..
This whole 'it aint broke until it strands you somewhere" attitude really sucks..
Especially when these cars have so many part failures.. why would they doubt it?

JRS-RS6
February 1st, 2010, 22:58
Usually, when they try to use this comeback about "its working fine for us" I tell them " OK. So, you wont take my word that this is a failing part, so when it fails, I will hand you the towing bill and any expenses I incur as a result"..
This whole 'it aint broke until it strands you somewhere" attitude really sucks..
Especially when these cars have so many part failures.. why would they doubt it?

Doesn't your warranty cover towing?

Seriously I can see the shops point. Let's see what they find (if anything) and than pass judgement.

Born2be
February 4th, 2010, 07:49
Finally got both my cars back: the RS6 for the fan runon issue and 30k service on the S8. Took them to All German Auto in Escondido.

As noted a couple posts above, I was miffed with the attitude of the shop. Ends up they were able to pull some codes and found the problem to be COOLANT TEMP SENSOR FAILED, CODE P2181. Took another day to get the part. Total cost to fix = $339.09. My Fidelity warranty = $100.00 deductible.

30k service on the S8 consisted of oil change and checking this and checking that. Had them rotate tires also. $256.84. I thought this was a bit stiff.

W>