PDA

View Full Version : Hissing sound from transmission pan area..Anybody?

Innovator
December 4th, 2009, 14:47
I have noticed that my transmission makes a hissing sound when the car is idling. Like a shhhhhhhhh sound . It never goes away.. Anybody else hear this? If you never noticed, please observe..

Rick

MaxRS6
December 4th, 2009, 15:01
I have noticed that my transmission makes a hissing sound when the car is idling. Like a shhhhhhhhh sound . It never goes away.. Anybody else hear this? If you never noticed, please observe..

Rick

and installed yesterday. The tech reported the same sound by the pan. The tech installing the tranny called IPT and they think it may be that the pan was pushed in during shipping or when installing the tranny. They state the pan is very close to the filter and can cause this symptom. The new pan and new filter arrived this morning and the tech is currently installing. I should know if this corrected the issue this morning. I'll let you know.

The following was IPT's response in summary:
"we feel the issue is that the pan was pushed up when installing the transmission,the filter is very close to the bottom of the pan and if the pan is push on at all it can push up against the bottom of the filter…..installers need to be very careful when installing the transmission not to put anything under the pan"<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

hahnmgh63
December 4th, 2009, 16:59
Innovator, I would look under the car and see if your pan is intact and look flat. Otherwise I would Vagcom it and have the transmission fluid level checked as a minimum, or have the fluid changed as an extra precaution.

p3u
December 4th, 2009, 17:49
There should be no hissing, sounds like somthing to do with fluid flowing, possibly restricted some how? Or maybe thats just the way the modded valve body sounds due to increased pressure?

TozoM8
December 4th, 2009, 18:03
Wrong filter. There are two different size filters. Cut off 12mm of the filter's pickup pipe before installation.

hahnmgh63
December 4th, 2009, 18:09
Innovator, as TozoM8 said, I have seen another filter with a different pickup that the dealer sold me one time, when I got home and compared it I realized I had the wrong one. Any mechanic who overlooked the difference if that is the problem, obviously doesn't pay attention to detail.

p3u
December 4th, 2009, 18:23
Samuel L. Jackson called, he found your hissing problem:jlol:

"Yeah, looks like a transmission snake, time get the this MOTHA F@#$IN SNAKE, OFF THIS MOTHA F$%@IN CAR!"

http://barfblog.foodsafety.ksu.edu/snakes-on-a-plane-5.jpg

MaxRS6
December 4th, 2009, 19:18
Tech called and stated the new pan and filter corrected the issue. Upon further review, they confirmed the pan was indented at the filter area.:applause:

p3u
December 4th, 2009, 19:51
Tech called and stated the new pan and filter corrected the issue. Upon further review, they confirmed the pan was indented at the filter area.:applause:

Glad to hear! Guess I was way off thinking it was transmission snake.

snoopra
December 4th, 2009, 20:59
Silly question, if the bottom pan was pushed in, couldn't it have been straightened out? I believe it was as TozoM8 stated: wrong filter.

Innovator
December 4th, 2009, 21:28
I my case, that is not the problem. The pan is not bent in, and I do have the correct filter.

Innovator
December 4th, 2009, 21:29
and installed yesterday. The tech reported the same sound by the pan. The tech installing the tranny called IPT and they think it may be that the pan was pushed in during shipping or when installing the tranny. They state the pan is very close to the filter and can cause this symptom. The new pan and new filter arrived this morning and the tech is currently installing. I should know if this corrected the issue this morning. I'll let you know.

The following was IPT's response in summary:
"we feel the issue is that the pan was pushed up when installing the transmission,the filter is very close to the bottom of the pan and if the pan is push on at all it can push up against the bottom of the filter…..installers need to be very careful when installing the transmission not to put anything under the pan"<O:p></O:p>

This is what they told me too, but nope...

Innovator
December 4th, 2009, 21:30
Wrong filter. There are two different size filters. Cut off 12mm of the filter's pickup pipe before installation.
I did try that Tozo. Still hisses.

MaxRS6
December 7th, 2009, 13:08
I did try that Tozo. Still hisses.

and/or a resolution? I received my bed pan back from the tech and it was certainly indented. I have the parts and will ask IPT to file a freight claim :w:as my tech believes it was bent during shipping when it was strapped down to a pallet.