PDA

View Full Version : Almost 3 weeks in the shop and he's a whole new animal

AudiRS4ever
December 3rd, 2009, 16:18
Well, thought I'd give an update to those who were following some of my posts. Some of you could care less and some of you will be interested to hear.

First mod started 3 weeks ago driving to work when I floored it and car shut down on me. Smoked engine. Both intercoolers had small leak. I mulled over the decision whether or not to buy stock ones or the Wagner's. I would have liked more information on the Wagner's, but that didn't seem to happen. I decided to buy them anyway if for no other reason than I wanted to see if they were better. The intercoolers themselves are worlds better. The carbon fiber ducts are pretty crappy, but they are aftermarket and aftermarket parts never fit as good as OEM. Just so everyone knows, you can put the stock ducting back on to connect to the wheel well liners, but you have to do a lot of modding. Seriously, it took as long to change the brackets over to the new coolers and fabricate some small parts as it did to replace the damn things. I hate parts coming off cars and not going back on though, and I have one of the best technicians in the country working on the car. :addict:

2 weeks ago European RS6 seats purchased from Ebay. Special thanks to Don S for posting the link. Seats got here. Bad News: I found that the passenger airbag was defective. :eye: Good News: The 2003 Audi TT Airbag fits right in with a little modding. :applause: Found that the motors are different size and have completely different connections. No more memory seats. I'm sure if I cared enough I could figure something out, but the car is only driven by me or my wife on very rare occasion.

While the car was down for 2 weeks the battery went dead. :nana: Not a big deal since it was the original battery, but it still sucked to find that out. Oh well........ brand new OEM battery in and charging fine now.

Purchased the Fidelity Warranty. Special thanks to DHall for giving me a reality check and making me understand that this car will cost me as much as I paid for it in repairs. :rs6kiss:

I purchased the BlueTooth module from Jim and it is supposed to get here tomorrow. I'm having that installed and then will be driving the car home and putting it in the garage for the winter. I am still shocked that no one has bought Jim's RS6. Seriously, the price is about right and this has got to be one of the nicest people I have ever spoken to. It's too bad he has to sell it, but I'm sure we will see him back on the board again soon.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with questions and solutions. If I didn't mention your name I apologize. This is by far the best board I have ever been on. I did get to drive the car yesterday and can say it is awesome. It was also 20 degrees outside so it was running like a maniac. :incar: :revs:

DHall1
December 3rd, 2009, 16:36
My .02c

Where are the pics?!?

What is your final impression of the Wagners?

Jim is even better to meet in person. Great guy and that car is very clean. Still working on his bank but they are being butt heads. Go figure.

You are a maniac.

Did I miss anything?

AudiRS4ever
December 3rd, 2009, 17:01
Like an idiot, I forgot to take any while the installs were going on. Car is still in the shop so I'll go and take some pictures of it completed.

Driven the car once since they went in and can tell you it is fast as hell, but it was also extremely cold. The intercoolers are built so much better than the factory one's it's rediculous. I did the foglight delete and think the new grills fit ok. Like I said about the carbon ducts, they are not very good in my opinion, but that's if I compare to stock fit and finish which isn't fair. Overall, for the price, great product.

That doesn't surprise me at all about the bank. And we wonder why this economy is so bad? The bank would rather take the car back, sit on it, and then finally get it to auction 90-120 days later where it will bring $2,000 less than if they just took the offer you and Jim are making. Bunch of idiots.

I appreciate the compliment. :)

p3u
December 3rd, 2009, 17:18
Awsome to here about your beast! Pics please!

I'm also considering the Wagners, but I'm holding off as I'm going to do a water/ meth setup to reduce charge air temps. I'm thinking with that it should do the trick, but if not I'm also looking at Apikols intercoolers. Basically they take the stock intercoolers, cut off the end tanks, and weld in a larger, more efficient core. Looks promising for $1300, and still uses all stock mountings.

As much as I hate winter, this 10 degree weather is magic on these cars. I had fun on the way to work this morning. :jlol:

snoopra
December 3rd, 2009, 17:46
AudiRS4ever, thanks for the updates.
p3u, are you going with a high end ECU controlled meth unit or the $500 bolt-on?

p3u
December 3rd, 2009, 17:55
p3u, are you going with a high end ECU controlled meth unit or the $500 bolt-on?

It will be setup in a custom tune. I may be crazy, and it may be out of reach, but I want 600hp! Water meth should be a big be helper, but I'll settle for 550hp :hahahehe:

AudiRS4ever
December 3rd, 2009, 20:49
Ok, here are some pictures. Not that great, but you'll get the idea. One of them I took to show the ducts are still there and perfectly functional. I really wish I had taken pictures during the install, but I didn't. Sorry about that..........

p3u
December 3rd, 2009, 21:54
Very nice!

Can you tell me more about the duct picture? Is that a mod or stock?

AudiRS4ever
December 3rd, 2009, 23:45
The ducts are the factory rear ducts with the factory intercooler brackets removed and installed on the Wagners. The Wagners came with new brackets for the heat exchangers, but in order to use the factory ducts, he had to put the factory brackets on and then modify them to fit. Not an easy job at all, but it looks absolutely factory back there.

RS6-4dr911
December 4th, 2009, 06:38
I'm thinking with that it should do the trick, but if not I'm also looking at Apikols intercoolers. Basically they take the stock intercoolers, cut off the end tanks, and weld in a larger, more efficient core. Looks promising for $1300, and still uses all stock mountings.

Now where in the hell have these been hiding?! Never heard of these in any of my searches, and just ordered the Wagners today - but just canceled. Searched lots of forums and found numerous 2.7TT and 1.8T applications, no complaints, but nothing where anyone had commented on the RS6 application.

Screw it, Ill take one for the team and try them out cause I'm sick of 0-60 in 5+ sec's. Look to have about 15% less volume than the Wagners but still 2/3 bigger than stock. And, just happened to hit their Holiday sale for 15% off, so they're about the same as the OEM replacements. I'll try to run some logs before I put them on. Not sure if it will be valid since current ones are leaking so badly but I'll try.

And, so that I'm somewhat on topic, I just had all the vacuum hoses replaced during my 55k service nice improvement in performance, so mine's a new animal after time in the shop as well. :addict:Apparently the fuel regulator was basically non-functioning with a broken hose, as well some other items.

p3u
December 4th, 2009, 06:41
https://www.apikol.com/?#Products,Intercooler,102

Did you order these or the wagners?

RS6-4dr911
December 4th, 2009, 06:44
The Apikols

p3u
December 4th, 2009, 06:46
Nice! I had the chance to see them in person, looked top notch.

Did you see the intake they had too? Looks cool and sounds great, not sure how effective it is though...

hahnmgh63
December 4th, 2009, 17:30
Anyone looked at the Apikol intake kit for the RS6 with pics that I'm not overly impressed with, take a look. It looks like it could flow a lot of air but hot air the way the cone filters are located on top of the engine so I guess the intake hoses in the pic are supposed to help deliver cooler air when the car is moving but who knows how the airflow is in the engine compartment, hot air sucked in the intake is a killer.

AudiRS4ever
December 4th, 2009, 17:37
Looking at the intakes I can't see how they could be advantages at all. I also don't like the cover having to be removed for them. Just my opinion.

DHall1
December 4th, 2009, 17:55
Its a Dallbach (sp) copycat

p3u
December 4th, 2009, 17:56
Its a Dallbach (sp) copycat

DING DING DING! We have a winner! I was waiting for someone to say that.

RS6-4dr911
December 5th, 2009, 02:27
They even admit/promote it as such.

Spoke with them today. Claims an RS6 customer with the IC's and Intake shaved 0.5 secs off his 1/4mi times, but admitted he didn't have the data to show how much (or loss) came from each product. Later said they have some raw data that might be able to show before and after of the IC's only.

snoopra
December 5th, 2009, 16:58
And, so that I'm somewhat on topic, I just had all the vacuum hoses replaced during my 55k service............
Did you get OEM or aftermarket silicone vac hoses? If aftermarket, what size?

AudiRS4ever
December 5th, 2009, 17:26
They even admit/promote it as such.

Spoke with them today. Claims an RS6 customer with the IC's and Intake shaved 0.5 secs off his 1/4mi times, but admitted he didn't have the data to show how much (or loss) came from each product. Later said they have some raw data that might be able to show before and after of the IC's only.

That sounds like an incredibly liberal claim in time. I used to be friends with the owner of Kleeman USA and he told me in order to drop a full second in 0-60 you have to double the stock horsepower. So, what they're claiming is that you are in essence getting 675 horsepower from intakes and intercoolers?!?! :bigeyes: I don't think so. Not arguing with you 4dr911, but I would argue with their claims.

p3u
December 5th, 2009, 17:34
That sounds like an incredibly liberal claim in time. I used to be friends with the owner of Kleeman USA and he told me in order to drop a full second in 0-60 you have to double the stock horsepower. So, what they're claiming is that you are in essence getting 675 horsepower from intakes and intercoolers?!?! :bigeyes: I don't think so. Not arguing with you 4dr911, but I would argue with their claims.

The claim is actually true.... kinda

I know who this person is that did the test, but the car didn't seem to be running proper before. They were running ~13.4-13.5's in the 1/4 ( at 6500ft mind you) with APR software. I ran that kind of time stock, so I'm thinking there was an issue. He did drop to 12.9-13.0 after the instal

However he did also say the runs were repeatable, so the intercoolers are very effective at keeping the car cool. I'm getting a set later on I think.

snoopra
December 5th, 2009, 17:50
I think shaving time off 1/4 has more to do with trans valve body/TC than HP. MHO

DHall1
December 5th, 2009, 17:59
I think it had more to do with the wind blowing.

The wind of hot air

RS6-4dr911
December 5th, 2009, 21:57

You did see that they said in the 1/4mi, not 0-60, right??

And I'm not sure either you or Kleeman got their numbers right either. (http://www.060calculator.com/ ) This little app would indicate that for our cars, to drop 1/2 sec in the 0-60 time would take just 90hp increase (20%). It's not a perfect estimator but it's pretty darn accurate (try some known vehicles). Now, I don't think I'd count on a 90-100hp increase from IC's and a Dahlback knockoff intake either, especially considering p3u's info.

Lupo911
December 5th, 2009, 23:08
it is also possible to use the OEM Shrouds with Wagner Intercooler, that was our first try, but the Germans want the carbon shrouds... and all the other bits...

Price for just the Intercoolers USD 1250... no Core charge or anything like that

RS6-4dr911
December 6th, 2009, 03:10
It may be possible but it looks like you'd be sacrificing quite a bit of the frontal cooling area by doing so.

RS6-4dr911
December 6th, 2009, 03:20
Did you get OEM or aftermarket silicone vac hoses? If aftermarket, what size?

Don't know what brand they were, but not OEM. He said OEM's are way more expensive per foot and don't last as long as what he put on there. If you really must know, I can ask him.

V8weight
December 6th, 2009, 03:56
it is also possible to use the OEM Shrouds with Wagner Intercooler, that was our first try, but the Germans want the carbon shrouds... and all the other bits...

Price for just the Intercoolers USD 1250... no Core charge or anything like that
Hmm, that's alot easier to swallow. Call me crazy, but I don't really care for the carbon fiber shrouds and all the nick knacks that come with the kit anyhow.

Lupo911
December 6th, 2009, 17:49
It may be possible but it looks like you'd be sacrificing quite a bit of the frontal cooling area by doing so.

thats why we do the carbon shrouds... and the other bits...

vangelis
December 6th, 2009, 19:14

R u sure?? how can I get this price?? any idea where can i get them with this price???

snoopra
December 6th, 2009, 21:57
................Price for just the Intercoolers USD 1250... no Core charge or anything like that
Foglight delete grill included, right?

Lupo911
December 6th, 2009, 22:44
Foglight delete grill included, right?

nope... just the 2 Cooler nothing else

AudiRS4ever
December 7th, 2009, 14:55
nope... just the 2 Cooler nothing else

Even though I didn't think the shrouds fit as good as factory, I think they are more than worth it considering how much more air is coming in now. Like I said originally, for the money it's a great kit. I'm very happy with it. Thanks Lupo!

AudiRS4ever
December 7th, 2009, 14:59
You did see that they said in the 1/4mi, not 0-60, right??

And I'm not sure either you or Kleeman got their numbers right either. (http://www.060calculator.com/ ) This little app would indicate that for our cars, to drop 1/2 sec in the 0-60 time would take just 90hp increase (20%). It's not a perfect estimator but it's pretty darn accurate (try some known vehicles). Now, I don't think I'd count on a 90-100hp increase from IC's and a Dahlback knockoff intake either, especially considering p3u's info.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice that, sorry. Anyway, I agree with you about not getting 90-100 hp out of intercoolers and an intake that sucks hot air from the looks of it.
I know when I drove it last week it was way faster, but it was also 20 degrees. I'm looking forward to comparing how it runs when it gets warmer outside. I'm sure it will still run better, just looking at the build quality of the new intercoolers and how much more air they're getting it should be better. Thanks!

Lupo911
December 7th, 2009, 15:08
Even though I didn't think the shrouds fit as good as factory, I think they are more than worth it considering how much more air is coming in now. Like I said originally, for the money it's a great kit. I'm very happy with it. Thanks Lupo!

The Shrouds are designed to fit tight, we wanted to get the Air thru the Intercooler, not Arround.
Sure we dont have rubber arround the Shrouds like OEM, that makes it harder to fit in. It will be easyer to fit also without the Fog Lights.
But thanks for your Input, its always good to get some...