PDA

View Full Version : RNS-E updated install into 03 RS6

DHall1
December 2nd, 2009, 21:55
What took me so long to install one of these? I have had many questions from new members on the install and wanted to update some info on the install. So lets do a thread.

Thanks to Jim in Phoenix with the install and R&R from both our cars. We installed a euro unit that was recoded and it works perfect with all functions intact.

I did not realize how slick the SD cards worked in the RNS-E. There is no need for an Ipod interface because I can load SD cards full of MP3 music and just plug it into the nav. Pic below. Then the operation of music selection from the SD cards is easy and runs thru a screen on the nav. Nice and the sound is awesome.

Key notes: Many of the threads used way back are now dead but Nene still has his up and running.

http://home.comcast.net/~nelson.paiva/RNS-E.pdf

Many links dead but an old RS6.com thread that helped.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7366&highlight=rns-e

New members have a peek. This is the way to go.

ben916
December 2nd, 2009, 22:51
nice install!

gooseleg
December 2nd, 2009, 22:56
Where did you source the unit?

mmaturo
December 2nd, 2009, 23:09
What took me so long to install one of these? I have had many questions from new members on the install and wanted to update some info on the install. So lets do a thread.

Thanks to Jim in Phoenix with the install and R&R from both our cars. We installed a euro unit that was recoded and it works perfect with all functions intact.

I did not realize how slick the SD cards worked in the RNS-E. There is no need for an Ipod interface because I can load SD cards full of MP3 music and just plug it into the nav. Pic below. Then the operation of music selection from the SD cards is easy and runs thru a screen on the nav. Nice and the sound is awesome.

Key notes: Many of the threads used way back are now dead but Nene still has his up and running.

http://home.comcast.net/~nelson.paiva/RNS-E.pdf

Many links dead but an old RS6.com thread that helped.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7366&highlight=rns-e

New members have a peek. This is the way to go.

Glad you got the second link on here as I simplified the process over the Nene install quite a bit in a few of the last posts on that link. I have no idea why anyone would want to run to the roof antenna rather than just stick it in the dash with the limited removal of just the cluster that i did. My second run at installing an RNSE back in my car was less than 30 minutes. On the XM module i can get to the same spot without removing the trunk trim. I never bothered to remount it this time and just have it wedged in the pocket below the access door with some other stuff i keep in there. Agree that this is simply the best upgrade to the car both in looks and function.

Mudguts
December 2nd, 2009, 23:10
Great post. The install looks great.

Where can I find one of these? If anyone is selling, please give me a PM or post a source.

Cheers,
MG

MaxRS6
December 2nd, 2009, 23:16
Great post. The install looks great.

Where can I find one of these? If anyone is selling, please give me a PM or post a source.

Cheers,
MG

http://www.vagnavs.com/Audi3.html

However; I see they are currently out of stock...

AudiRS4ever
December 2nd, 2009, 23:18
Glad you like the RNS-E Dave. That was the first mod I did to the RS6 when I got it. I actually bought the RNS-E before I even decided to buy the RS6. :jlol: Good install.

DHall1
December 2nd, 2009, 23:42
Thanks,

I am very picky with instrument upgrades. I always want all the buttons to match in style and color. I never had the opportunity to see/touch/smell an actual RNSE in the C5. That was the problem. I had no idea if the buttons/lights/screen would match the other C5 dash buttons.

Once I could see one installed....then noticed how the SD cards could play all the MP3 music....game over. That did it. To have the nav screen pull up all the SD card info and play my music....all she took.

Call and email that vendor to let them know your needs. I am sure they want to be sure the C5 market is still alive and well.

A must upgrade.

Glad you like the RNS-E Dave. That was the first mod I did to the RS6 when I got it. I actually bought the RNS-E before I even decided to buy the RS6. :jlol: Good install.

V8weight
December 2nd, 2009, 23:53
Not trying to be a spoiler at all, but it would bother me having the old rns-d controls sitting defunct in the center console. Could you retrofit the little pocket from the non nav. A6's and remove the control panel?

DHall1
December 2nd, 2009, 23:59
Actually that is plan b.

To order a pocket blank or find the pn for the cup holder that pops into the blank. Its the style that fits flush and you push the button which shoots it up and open.

Not trying to be a spoiler at all, but it would bother me having the old rns-d controls sitting defunct in the center console. Could you retrofit the little pocket from the non nav. A6's and remove the control panel?

DHall1
December 3rd, 2009, 00:03
Another key feature.

The nav directions not only show up on the nav screen but the DIS screen in the instrument cluster. So the turn by turn selections pop up in the instrument cluster. I like it. All the data to the turn and dest show up in the cluster.

The nav "lady" is also muted. When your playing music the turn by turn voice is not too loud. It lowers the music only slightly and the nav voice is muted. Perfect.

V8weight
December 3rd, 2009, 00:11
Another key feature.

The nav directions not only show up on the nav screen but the DIS screen in the instrument cluster. So the turn by turn selections pop up in the instrument cluster. I like it. All the data to the turn and dest show up in the cluster.

The nav "lady" is also muted. When your playing music the turn by turn voice is not too loud. It lowers the music only slightly and the nav voice is muted. Perfect.
Oh, that's enough to sell me right there. That's what bothers me most about the RNS-D. The nav lady always goes back to that angry "WHO'S STEPH?" volume by default every time you start the car. The only way to turn it down is to quickly locate and frantically turn the knob only once she starts talking.

GEN XER
December 3rd, 2009, 00:47
I have not tried it, but can you play video through the SD cards? I dont use the SD cards on mine because it came with an Ipod interface. I dont like using the ipod this way because you cant see the list of songs and you cant shuffle through albums or genres. I think I will get me a couple of SD cards and put my favorite music on it and put the Ipod back in the VW.

hahnmgh63
December 3rd, 2009, 01:00
You can actually Vagcom the car to add or delete the Nav in the instrument cluster. I turned mine off there so I could still have all of the music there while in Navigation mode. I figured glancing at the screen and having her talk to me was enough.

bfly
December 3rd, 2009, 01:08
I have no idea why anyone would want to run to the roof antenna rather than just stick it in the dash with the limited removal of just the cluster that i did.

The US OnStar system used the factory GPS antenna. If you remove the OnStar system you can use the antenna plug for the RNS-E. You can also use the pins from the OnStar wiring harness to wire up a factory BT phone unit as well. All of this is located on the passenger side firewall, under the carpet.

Beastly
December 3rd, 2009, 01:19
I did what bfly suggested was easy and I like the tie into the shark fin - likely better reception. Also love mine, easy install, best mod for the $$ for our cars.

snoopra
December 3rd, 2009, 01:37
Actually that is plan b.

To order a pocket blank or find the pn for the cup holder that pops into the blank. Its the style that fits flush and you push the button which shoots it up and open.
Let me know when you find the cup holder and welcome to the "RNS" clud:)

DuckWingDuck
December 3rd, 2009, 02:34
I have not tried it, but can you play video through the SD cards? I dont use the SD cards on mine because it came with an Ipod interface. I dont like using the ipod this way because you cant see the list of songs and you cant shuffle through albums or genres. I think I will get me a couple of SD cards and put my favorite music on it and put the Ipod back in the VW.

no. which totally sucks

mmaturo
December 3rd, 2009, 06:21
Another key feature.

the voice comes in at whatever volume you left her at...when she talks you can raise or lower the volume which i do find necessary if i have the sunroof open for instance. She's adjustable. But it does remember where you last left it.

There is an adapter out there to get video to work. Searching on this website might find it. http://audiforum.us/rns-e/ used to be easier to find info but the site keeps changing over time.

For people looking for one keep checking the quattroworld.com and audiworld.com classified sections as they do pop up. I bought my first one from the link Dave gave but got my second for $400 less from an owner selling his.

portos
December 3rd, 2009, 09:39
Actually that is plan b.

Now I do not understand, what button are you talking about. All the RNS-D controls are on the RNS-D? The only other controls are on the steering wheel? Or are the american spec RS6's specced with something else?

hahnmgh63
December 3rd, 2009, 14:41
I think someone mispoke the name. In North America we never got the RNS-D, only the even crappier RNS-C which had controls on the center consule. So by going to RNS-E, which the later Euro RS6's got, we are finally catching up by bypassing the RNS-D generation.

RS6VA
December 3rd, 2009, 15:31

However; I see they are currently out of stock...

I sent them an email yesterday and Brian replied that they have a list of people making requests, make sure you get your name in soon as they seem to be in short supply.

4everRS
December 3rd, 2009, 15:44
I talked to the guy the other day by phone. Can't remember his name but he said that they had received shipments, but they were damaged. He orders from europe, and doesn't list a price because of the fluctuating dollar. I am on that list you speak of. They will also do the video in motion upon request. The kit comes with everything, including the little tools to take the old unit out and the GPS module.

AudiRS4ever
December 3rd, 2009, 15:46
I got mine from NAV Parts.com www.navparts.com They show out of stock right now, but pretty good guys to work with. Their additional parts are a little over-priced, but they get everything to you pretty fast.

RS6-4dr911
December 4th, 2009, 04:19
I know mine came from basically the same place but I can't help but think every last one of these things that's ordered results in a gaping hole in the dash of an Audi somewhere in eastern Europe.:doh:

arS6
December 4th, 2009, 08:25
Actually that is plan b.

I did that already. You need the cup holder and another plastic thing that the cup holder goes in. I guess it would be called the cup holder mount. I have PN and pics if you like.

Mudguts
December 4th, 2009, 12:22
arS6,

Please post PN and pics... I'm going to need these when I locate one of these units.

Cheers,
MG

DHall1
December 4th, 2009, 14:59
Pleeeeze.

Pretty pleeeeze.

I did that already. You need the cup holder and another plastic thing that the cup holder goes in. I guess it would be called the cup holder mount. I have PN and pics if you like.

arS6
December 4th, 2009, 16:59
cup holder PN # 4B0 862 533 $102.24 wow! I don't remember paying this price.

I think I never took pics of the mount that the cup holder goes in. But I'm sure your dealer can help you when you call for the cup holder.

I just looked up my invoice (sorry no PN for the mount) and I paid $41.30 for the cup holder in May 2008

This is what's on my invoice:
<table style="border: 1px solid rgb(153, 0, 0);" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="tabletext" align="left">OEM Catalog
Console Center console Bezel Bezel </td> <td class="tabletext" align="center" valign="top"> 1 </td> <td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top">$19.17</td> <td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top">$0.00</td> <td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top"> $19.17 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tabletext" colspan="5" style="border-bottom: 1pt solid rgb(153, 0, 0);" align="center" valign="top"> Status: Sent </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tabletext" align="left"> OEM Catalog
Console Center console Cup holder Cup holder </td> <td class="tabletext" align="center" valign="top"> 1 </td> <td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top">$41.30</td> <td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top">$0.00</td> <td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top"> $41.30 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tabletext" colspan="5" style="border-bottom: 1pt solid rgb(153, 0, 0);" align="center" valign="top"> Status: Sent </td></tr></tbody></table>http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc25b3127ccef89d6343446800000030O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

DHall1
December 4th, 2009, 17:10
Thanks,

Do you have a pic in the car and showing in and out position?

What is the vehicle application to look up the parts?

arS6
December 5th, 2009, 03:12
Thanks,

Do you have a pic in the car and showing in and out position?

What is the vehicle application to look up the parts?

I asked for parts from a 2002 allroad. I'm pretty sure all the C5's have the same cup holder if they don't have the RNSC controls.

arS6
December 5th, 2009, 03:14
If any of you guys need the harness. I have an extra one. $40 shipped.http://navparts.com/images/detailed_images/rnse_adapter_bose.jpg

snoopra
December 5th, 2009, 17:30
PN for mount is 4B0 862 553:)

bruce
December 5th, 2009, 22:06
If any of you guys need the harness. I have an extra one. $40 shipped.http://navparts.com/images/detailed_images/rnse_adapter_bose.jpg

Dave, do I need this??

NVM I think the answer is yes...

DHall1
December 6th, 2009, 03:02
Wrong harness is pictured.

I think you need the 3 lock connector. What is pictured is the quad lock connector.

I think the quad lock can work but you have to repin many of the wires.

If you buy the 3 lock connector it is simply plug and play.

Dave, do I need this??

NVM I think the answer is yes...

arS6
December 6th, 2009, 03:59
Wrong harness is pictured.

I think you need the 3 lock connector. What is pictured is the quad lock connector.

I think the quad lock can work but you have to repin many of the wires.

If you buy the 3 lock connector it is simply plug and play.

That was a stock photo that I took from another site. Here's mine. Looks the same, just longer.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc24b3127ccef89f47129d3700000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc24b3127ccef89f74efdd4b00000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc24b3127ccef89fa5d19d8500000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc24b3127ccef89fe3c89dbf00000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

vangelis
December 6th, 2009, 05:28
Congratulations DHall1, RNS-E is a great mod you should do first thing :) ,, anyway glad to hear you happy with it. Good luck mate.

mimors6
December 6th, 2009, 21:45
Great mod...getting myself an RNS-E

arS6
December 8th, 2009, 00:25
If you guys didn't buy the cup holder yet. ECS Tuning has it for $58
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES4275/

GEN XER
December 8th, 2009, 06:34
What do I do to change my Audio Files from MP4 to MP3? The Music from iTunes is in MP4 format and it wont play in the RNS-E

DHall1
December 8th, 2009, 06:43
Google search those terms. Find the free download software to convert those files. Then build a new file for MP3 songs.

What do I do to change my Audio Files from MP4 to MP3? The Music from iTunes is in MP4 format and it wont play in the RNS-E

vangelis
December 8th, 2009, 07:51
If you guys didn't buy the cup holder yet. ECS Tuning has it for $58
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES4275/

Guys, this cup holder is different than what I have in my car, where is this one should be fixed? any pic for this one installed??

MrBucket
December 8th, 2009, 08:20
Guys, this cup holder is different than what I have in my car, where is this one should be fixed? any pic for this one installed??

in the center console between the seats

Ruergard
December 8th, 2009, 08:22
Perfect upgrade for the C5, nice one! :thumb:

vangelis
December 8th, 2009, 08:51
in the center console between the seats

You mean this one of the two cup holders fixed for the back seats?

Currently I have 3 cup holders, one in the dash board under the center airvents, and 2 at the rear in the center at the back seat.

Shoppinit
December 8th, 2009, 10:54
I would also be interested in seeing these controls in the center console. I have RNS-D and there is nothing related to it in the center console - just the menu button and rotary knob for the dash menu.

MaxRS6
December 8th, 2009, 14:12

has some nice tools and functions for the price.

http://audials.com/en/audials/audialsone/media_pro.html

vangelis
December 8th, 2009, 17:30

I have a good tool, PM me ur email and I will send u a copy. Full version.

GEN XER
December 8th, 2009, 21:33
has some nice tools and functions for the price.

http://audials.com/en/audials/audialsone/media_pro.html

I have a good tool, PM me ur email and I will send u a copy. Full version.

Thanks guys but I found my cousin down here in Ga, he is an IT guru and he has already optimized my computer for the things I like to do. I did not expect him to be here as he is usually overseas, not military though.

Amulet-S6
December 11th, 2009, 00:06
Vangelis, The cup holder they're speaking of is not normally there. It's a verticle "pop-up" holder that would be placed in the coin slot next to the hand brake. If you had Nav. they would be placed where the buttons are located.

vangelis
December 12th, 2009, 12:36
Vangelis, The cup holder they're speaking of is not normally there. It's a verticle "pop-up" holder that would be placed in the coin slot next to the hand brake. If you had Nav. they would be placed where the buttons are located.

Thanks for the clarification, i got what you mean. :)

arS6
December 18th, 2009, 14:43
UPDATE !!!!

I made a mistake, if you want to replace the OEM nav controls with a cup holder, all you need is the cup holder and not the mount (4B0 862 553). The mount is the same part that holds the Nav controls. I did this a number of years ago and I did order the mount. So I really thought it was needed. I just found it in a box the other day and realized that I never used it! That's probably why I don't have pictures of the mount. Sorry for the mistake guys! I hope no one ordered it yet.

DHall1
December 18th, 2009, 15:13
:doh:

I just got around to ordering the mount this week.

You all dont want to know how much I got raped for the stinking mount. I got the holder from ECS.

UPDATE !!!!

I made a mistake, if you want to replace the OEM nav controls with a cup holder, all you need is the cup holder and not the mount (4B0 862 553). The mount is the same part that holds the Nav controls. I did this a number of years ago and I did order the mount. So I really thought it was needed. I just found it in a box the other day and realized that I never used it! That's probably why I don't have pictures of the mount. Sorry for the mistake guys! I hope no one ordered it yet.

arS6
December 18th, 2009, 15:16
Oh No! Soooo sorry DHall. Call them and stop the order?? They may not have it in stock and are waiting for it too? It's not a common item that they stock. It never breaks.

DHall1
December 18th, 2009, 15:27
No big deal I have an extra if anyone breaks one.

How do I get the nav buttons out? Do I need to take the console apart or fish the gap to release a clip?

bruce
December 18th, 2009, 16:39
:doh:

I just got around to ordering the mount this week.

You all dont want to know how much I got raped for the stinking mount. I got the holder from ECS.

Can't be any more than I paid @ ECS:

MOUNTING ES#367774 4B0862553 1 $27.14 $27.14

And I don't have the old nav buttons, so I'm also going to have to figure out how to get the coin holder out......

DHall1
December 18th, 2009, 16:42
:w:Arrrrrgh,

You want to bet. Try 40 bucks.

The guy that used to give me a discount at the local Audi is no longer there. Screw them from now on. I will order from discountvw or ECS.

So you got ECS to get the mount for you? Its not on the site.

Oh well, at least we snagged the wheels.

And I don't have the old nav buttons, so I'm also going to have to figure out how to get the coin holder out......

arS6
December 18th, 2009, 17:52
No big deal I have an extra if anyone breaks one.

How do I get the nav buttons out? Do I need to take the console apart or fish the gap to release a clip?

Sorry again!

1. remove rear seat vent by pulling it straight out and disconnect all plugs
2. pull out the vent entension that's inside the console
3. remove arm rest by remove one 13mm nut. Remove the other two 13mm nut that's holding the console in place.
4. remove trim around the shifter and remove the two 10mm bolts that's holding the front of the console down. Becareful when pulling out the shifter trim, you may take the ash tray trim right off too. If that is the case, you just broke some tabs on the ash tray trim.
5. lift up e brake and remove the small cover on the side of the e brake to expose a torx bolt. Remove the torx bolt. This will free the e brake cover.
6. lift up felt cover in the compartment under the arm rest and remove the one 10mm bolt.

You should be able to lift the rear of the console and push it back a little. When you get the rear up, push it forward to get it off. While lifting the front of it, disconnect the mirror switch and oem Nav switch. Or you can push the mirror up and out then disconnect it. It was easier for me that way. The Nav switch I was able to remove it from under the console then I disconnect. Don't forget to disconnect the cable for the telephone (not the purple one plug) if you have that in your car.

Once you get the Nav switch out, you can figure it out from there. Pop the Nav swith out the mount. There's a few tabs. and pop the cup holder in there and button everything up.

It's take about 30mins.

arS6
December 18th, 2009, 17:53
:w:Arrrrrgh,

You want to bet. Try 40 bucks.

The guy that used to give me a discount at the local Audi is no longer there. Screw them from now on. I will order from discountvw or ECS.

So you got ECS to get the mount for you? Its not on the site.

Oh well, at least we snagged the wheels.

I can't believe how much prices has gone up on those parts.

arS6
December 18th, 2009, 17:59
While you guys are at it, it might be a good idea to install an additional outlet for the cell phone and etc. I did it to my allroad already and it keeps the wires away from the front console. I'm going to do it on the RS when it gets warmer.
No indoor garage here. :nana:
I'm also going to attach a relay to it so that this new outlet only powers on when the car is on since I like to leave my phone charger in there all the time. Our outlets are powered on even when the car is off. I don't want to risk waking up to a dead battery. I'll add the relay to the allroad when it gets warmer too.

There's a write up on audiworld.com

bruce
December 18th, 2009, 18:04
While you guys are at it, it might be a good idea to install an additional outlet for the cell phone and etc. I did it to my allroad already and it keeps the wires away from the front console. I'm going to do it on the RS when it gets warmer.
No indoor garage here. :nana:
I'm also going to attach a relay to it so that this new outlet only powers on when the car is on since I like to leave my phone charger in there all the time. Our outlets are powered on even when the car is off. I don't want to risk waking up to a dead battery. I'll add the relay to the allroad when it gets warmer too.

There's a write up on audiworld.com

That's a great idea, although I actually leave my phone in the car at night TO charge. Never had a battery issue. Do you have a link to the AW write up?

Thanks for the removal instructions, I doubt I would have started from the back.....:mech:

ETA - now going to look for the part # for power outlet to install....

DHall1
December 18th, 2009, 18:29
Dont worry. You just saved me 40 dollars of headache by printing out those instructions.

Good idea on the power outlet but I have my radar hardwired and hardly ever use the ash tray power outlet. In fact, I have never used it for anything.

Thanks again for the writeup. I will go do er right now.

Sorry again!

3. remove arm rest by remove one 13mm nut. Remove the other two 13mm nut that's holding the console in place.
4. remove trim around the shifter and remove the two 10mm bolts that's holding the front of the console down. Becareful when pulling out the shifter trim, you may take the ash tray trim right off too. If that is the case, you just broke some tabs on the ash tray trim.
5. lift up e brake and remove the small cover on the side of the e brake to expose a torx bolt. Remove the torx bolt. This will free the e brake cover.
6. lift up felt cover in the compartment under the arm rest and remove the one 10mm bolt.

You should be able to lift the rear of the console and push it back a little. When you get the rear up, push it forward to get it off. While lifting the front of it, disconnect the mirror switch and oem Nav switch. Or you can push the mirror up and out then disconnect it. It was easier for me that way. The Nav switch I was able to remove it from under the console then I disconnect. Don't forget to disconnect the cable for the telephone (not the purple one plug) if you have that in your car.

Once you get the Nav switch out, you can figure it out from there. Pop the Nav swith out the mount. There's a few tabs. and pop the cup holder in there and button everything up.

It's take about 30mins.

arS6
December 19th, 2009, 23:23
Here's the DIY for the additional outlet. It also has some good tips and pics on removing the center console. Check it out.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec85.shtml

Boston Driver
December 23rd, 2009, 17:58
Just keep in mind that if you want to do this install in the C5 RS6, make sure you do get a harness that has the extra long wires (pictured below).
There is very little room for all the connectors behind the headunit in the C5 platform, and having the long wires allows you to tuck the connectors in the space behind the climate control before you slide in the headunit.
The shorter harness adaptor does not allow you to do that.
Oh, and the extra (4th) connector pictured is for a non-Bose setup and can be easily removed. The other end of the adaptor in the quadlock connector can be removed easily.

A very nice upgrade indeed...I bought the RNS-E before I bought the A6 knowing that I'd do the upgrade! Add an external DVD player through a video adaptor and you can watch movies on that sucker too!!!
You just need the VIM hack so you can watch while the car is in motion, or put a switch in the speed signal (but that may impact the performance of the NAV).

That was a stock photo that I took from another site. Here's mine. Looks the same, just longer.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc24b3127ccef89f47129d3700000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc24b3127ccef89f74efdd4b00000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc24b3127ccef89fa5d19d8500000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc24b3127ccef89fe3c89dbf00000040O08IYsXDdm5ag9 vPgA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

s42ski
December 29th, 2009, 19:45
For those without the original nav - I think you NEED the mount - I just tried to install this on mine and found that it did not fit. Dhall, you still have your "spare" ?

DHall1
December 29th, 2009, 20:18
PM sent

Here is the pn for the mount

RS6-4dr911
December 29th, 2009, 23:24
I'll try here as well:

Does anyone know what else can go in there? I really don't need another crappy Audi cupholder, was hoping for maybe a deep pocket so I can throw my iPhone and radar detector remote in there.

LIRS6
January 6th, 2010, 05:24
You are all on your own, but having followed the these directions to replace the Nav controls with a center cup holder ...

It's take about 30mins. ... I have the following comments:

1. The above is not a 30 min job, unless you've done it before and know what you are doing from the start (I missed a full half of the Iowa/Georgia Tech game).

2. Assuming that you have an RNS-E Nav unit installed and don't give a rip about the console Nav controls...Forget all the instructions quoted above - take a screwdriver, and using a cloth on the leverage points, being careful not to damage the carbon fibre trim, pry up the small gap piece at the rear of the nav controls. Use that as a starting point to pry up the balance of the tabs (although not really necessary), and then pull out the nav unit. Disconnect the wiring harness from the nav control unit, and tuck the wiring into a recess of the console. Place the new cup holder unit in the opening and press down firmly. Voila! - you are done. Maybe 5-10 mins max. The Nav is trashed - but it was trash anyway, which is why you got the RNS-E Nav unit to begin with, right? And no mount was required!

3. Optional: I chose to remove the cup holder unit in the armrest - it was generally useless as far as I was concerned. To do so, pull out the rubber liner, exposing two phillips head plastic "screws." Turn each of them a half turn or so, which will release the cup holder unit. Pull out.

Note: Standard Disclaimer: You assume all responsibility for any damage or unsatisfactory result obtained by following the above modifications.

mmaturo
January 6th, 2010, 05:42
I'll try here as well:

Does anyone know what else can go in there? I really don't need another crappy Audi cupholder, was hoping for maybe a deep pocket so I can throw my iPhone and radar detector remote in there.

Simple, you just need the coin holder infill that those of us that did not have nav originally. Not very deep but holds my phones fine including my blackberry from flying.

DHall1
January 6th, 2010, 06:21
Too funny.

#2 below will work and save you 1hr of time.

You are all on your own, but having followed the these directions to replace the Nav controls with a center cup holder ... ... I have the following comments:

1. The above is not a 30 min job, unless you've done it before and know what you are doing from the start (I missed a full half of the Iowa/Georgia Tech game).

2. Assuming that you have an RNS-E Nav unit installed and don't give a rip about the console Nav controls...Forget all the instructions quoted above - take a screwdriver, and using a cloth on the leverage points, being careful not to damage the carbon fibre trim, pry up the small gap piece at the rear of the nav controls. Use that as a starting point to pry up the balance of the tabs (although not really necessary), and then pull out the nav unit. Disconnect the wiring harness from the nav control unit, and tuck the wiring into a recess of the console. Place the new cup holder unit in the opening and press down firmly. Voila! - you are done. Maybe 5-10 mins max. The Nav is trashed - but it was trash anyway, which is why you got the RNS-E Nav unit to begin with, right? And no mount was required!

3. Optional: I chose to remove the cup holder unit in the armrest - it was generally useless as far as I was concerned. To do so, pull out the rubber liner, exposing two phillips head plastic "screws." Turn each of them a half turn or so, which will release the cup holder unit. Pull out.

Note: Standard Disclaimer: You assume all responsibility for any damage or unsatisfactory result obtained by following the above modifications.

canuckinboston
April 17th, 2011, 16:09
Hi all:

New to this forum having just picked up a C5 RS6 this week; had been driving an 09 A4. I've been driving myself crazy trying to decide between a new aftermarket head unit to replace the Symphony II and was waffling between the Alpine W900BT and Kenwood DNX 6980. However, it seems that both have their issues and after reading this thread I'm wondering if this would be the preferred way to go. Question: how easily does hands free bluetooth phone calling work with the OEM audi BT module attached to this thing? I'm used to pretty easy calling with the A4, but obviously the lack of steering wheel controls on the RS6 will mean some added button pushing. Just don't want to be digging through multiple submenus to make a call.
I've put an email to vannav.com to check on availabiility.
THanks all!

canuckinboston
April 17th, 2011, 16:10
Hi all:

New to this forum having just picked up a C5 RS6 this week; had been driving an 09 A4. I've been driving myself crazy trying to decide between a new aftermarket head unit to replace the Symphony II and was waffling between the Alpine W900BT and Kenwood DNX 6980. However, it seems that both have their issues and after reading this thread I'm wondering if this would be the preferred way to go. Question: how easily does hands free bluetooth phone calling work with the OEM audi BT module attached to this thing? I'm used to pretty easy calling with the A4, but obviously the lack of steering wheel controls on the RS6 will mean some added button pushing. Just don't want to be digging through multiple submenus to make a call.
I've put an email to vannav.com to check on availability.
THanks all!

marklar182
April 17th, 2011, 18:16
IMO RNS-E is the way to go. Easy install, retains all OEM functions.

The OEM RNS-E BT module retrofit is simple, and works well. You do have to do all your dialing and answering from the RNS-E, but it is easy, and works well (I use a iPhone 3GS with mine).

CornersWell
April 17th, 2011, 19:06
I dial and answer directly from my Blackberry. The dial-based menu system in the RNS-E will work, but you can't drive and dial at the same time. Works great, though. Very happy I did the upgrade.

CW

hahnmgh63
April 17th, 2011, 20:31
I have the 3GS I-phone also and yes you can dial from the RNS-E but you can also dial from your phone. But if it is in your address list, dialed calls, misses calls, or recent calls list you can easily dial it from your RNS-E too. I'm not sure what functionality differences there are between the different Bluetooth module revisions.

canuckinboston
April 17th, 2011, 20:35
Thanks for the info. I have a couple of more questions:
Will the interface be similar to the MMI that was on my 09 A4?
Also will the RNA-E /OEM BT module combo allow for voice activated calling via BT?
Sorry for the noob questions but I don't have the option of actually seeing/playing with a unit and will probably have to be buying it sight unseen...

hahnmgh63
April 17th, 2011, 20:42
No voice activated calling with the RS6 as we don't have the Multi function steering wheel which has something to do with the voice activated calling. It will be similar to your MMI but 1 generation older but a great addition to a RS6, a must if you ask me. Keep in mind that the RNS-E is almost a plug & play install but the Bluetooth takes a little bit of pin swapping from the old Onstar system plugs into the new plug that will go into the Bluetooth module. Not hard but it does take patience and the right pin removal tool would make it much easier, I used a set of Jewelers screwdrivers on mine. The old Onstar system is dead anyways so you might as well remove the module and backup battery. They are in the passenger footwell beneath and behind the glovebox (left hand drive cars).

canuckinboston
April 18th, 2011, 21:46
Thanks all: I sourced a unit from vagnav.com. Its a european unit flashed with the US firmware and can have the video in motion update added. link to the unit:

Anyone have any experience with this vendor? I'm told that its a straight swap with the Symphony II that any Audi dealer can do, including hooking up the Nav to the RS6 sharkfin antenna. Also, I'm also told that the RNS-E cannot display artist, song or playlist text info with an iPod adaptor. However, I've seen youtube videos that clearly show these units displaying such info and also video as well. Is there a specific iPod adaptor that can do this? The vendor wasn't able to give me any leads.

Thanks again for your help, all.

mmaturo
April 18th, 2011, 22:15
Thanks all: I sourced a unit from vagnav.com. Its a european unit flashed with the US firmware and can have the video in motion update added. link to the unit:

Anyone have any experience with this vendor? I'm told that its a straight swap with the Symphony II that any Audi dealer can do, including hooking up the Nav to the RS6 sharkfin antenna. Also, I'm also told that the RNS-E cannot display artist, song or playlist text info with an iPod adaptor. However, I've seen youtube videos that clearly show these units displaying such info and also video as well. Is there a specific iPod adaptor that can do this? The vendor wasn't able to give me any leads.

---edit-- I see it has all the stuff with the kit for the wiring...except the GALA wire for the connection behind the speedometer, but its easy to do yourself...skip the sharkfin version unless you like removing trim and your rear seats and roof liner partially...around your side airbags. You still need the correct XM module if you still want XM. The one in the car is not compatible.

Lol...ummm its a straight swap with the right harnesses and other connector wires so hopefully its an entire kit not just the unit. No they are bs-ing you of straight plug and play...its easy but not that easy. It needs all the stuff we have posted or linked here, so a GPS antennae, wiring harness the bridges between the symphony II wiring harness and the RNSE, a wire adapter for the radio antennae, and a wire to the GALA wire behind the dash for telling the unit your speed for instant position updating. No the dealer is not the best place to do it as it does bring up warranty issues as you are in a very minor way screwing with the wiring (gala wire is a tap behind the speedo). You will want to skip the sharkfin connection and just use a GPS puck put in the back of the dash otherwise you are fishing through the entire car with a new wire...dumb. Also your XM will not work, you need a different XM unit module for that. The unit has many abilities to do other things...video etc but that beyond me.

marklar182
April 18th, 2011, 22:24
I doubt a Audi dealer will do anything for you regarding the RNS-E install.

Vagnavs has been backordered for months, maybe a year. I doubt you will get one through them. check all the audi forums and you may find a used one. I got mine for ~$700

If you install a BT retrofit at the same time you can easily get an extension and use the onstar GPS cable that runs to the sharkfin. Otherwise use the stand alone antenna and mount it behind the instrument cluster.

You will need a alpine kce425i and Kufatec IMA to control the ipod from the RNS-E.

Also, do not use the latest NAV map or you will be upgraded to firmware 0260, and lose VIM.

hahnmgh63
April 18th, 2011, 22:42
What Marklar182 said is all true. You may want to stop at software 0250 as 0260 does loose Video in Motion if you want it. Also as he said, you can pull up the passenger footwell carpet and use the GPS antenna going to the Onstar unit, and if you are installing the Bluetooth module you'll be in there anyways to get at the correct wires. I was able to pull the GPS antenna wire from the Onstar back enough to just make the connection to the RNS-E without an extension, but if you go with the little Magnetic Puck antenna under the dash they seem to work just as good as the Sharkfin on the roof. I used one for a couple of years before doing the Bluetooth and at that time I removed the puck antenna and plugged into the Onstar/Sharkfin lead.

CornersWell
April 19th, 2011, 02:18
I have a Dice iPod player, and the playlist information does not come up on screen.

FYI, I hired a VERY good, well-known RNS-E installer. His brother makes the wiring harnesses. Anyway, it took him several trips to get everything working properly. This isn't exactly easy stuff. It's doable, but it's not something you'd want to tackle on your own. You have to pull pins (and knowing which pins to pull is...important). Not to mention this installer must have called his brother a dozen times throughout the process for assistance. We got it, though. Persistence paid off. However, a dealer simply isn't going to be able to handle this install, I don't think.

CW

hahnmgh63
April 19th, 2011, 05:47
Related to what CW said, the install of the unit itself is almost plug & play, fairly easy. The install of Bluetooth is a little tougher, it takes patience and a wiring diagram of the pins which isn't too tough with the diagrams that have already been written up. I don't have the Dice Ipod adapter so I can't answer to that.

TOAvusRS6
May 17th, 2011, 03:09

Just curious if you were able to source a unit through this vendor? I am looking to retrofit the RNS-E to my 2004 Canadian spec RS6 as well, but everyone seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Thanks for any info.

canuckinboston
May 17th, 2011, 03:31
Hey there....I emailed Brian at vagnavs and they do have one more unit. After a long of thinking I decided not to get one as I don't think it will be worth it in the end; the thing will cost northwards of 1300 bucks without BT or iPod integration and not including installation costs. I will probably spring for either a Parrot MKi unit or an OEM BT from my Audi dealer and a Dension iPod connector to the stock SYmphony II. The RNS-E would not have been able to fully integrate the iPod anyways, so I'm not sure that I would have gotten much more ahead. I usually rely on my iPhone for nav so no big loss there for me.

TOAvusRS6
May 17th, 2011, 03:39
Thanks for the information and the response.

nene
May 17th, 2011, 04:48
There is no reason why you can't get one from the dealer, instead of waiting over 1 year for another parts distributor to get you a unit. I know that Europrice can get these units also at good cost. Installation is a blast, even if you have never done one of these before. Personally I don't use the navigation much. Nonetheless, the RNS-E gives the RS6 a much more updated and modern interior appeal than stock Symphony. After all, you spend most of your time inside the car.
Many of my friends that I take for rides on the RS6 can't believe she is going to be 8 years old in 3 weeks.

hahnmgh63
May 17th, 2011, 04:51
The RNS-E is a real positive upgrade for our cars, brings them up to a much more modern interior and system. I have never heard of the Audi Bluetooth working with the stock Symphony II radio? But then I am in the process of dumping $7500 ~ $8000 in my engine/trans for upgrades.

PALETTE
May 17th, 2011, 05:57
I thought the same actually, Pioneer, Alpine, Macmini all sorts of stuff in the end I ended up going with the poven one RNS-E. I might end up doing the I pod adaptor for it if I get some one good at making it for me. I just wanted an updated stock appearing look for the car as it is a classy car to drive and not a rice rocket with the subs hanging out the back sort of speaking.

Hope you post pics with your install fellow Canuks

skribe
May 17th, 2011, 14:17
I briefly had a Pioneer X930BT in the dash... Destroys the RNS-E in features. Was going to hand-mold a custom faceplate to try to get it to look integrated, the aftermarket head unit just looked so high school to me. The interface was very cheesy and over-the-top, was hoping there was a way to hack the xml files in the WinCE OS on the AVIC to create an interface that matched audi visual standards... but alas, no.

So... I dumped it and sourced another RNS-E -- I had sold my old one with a bad laser diode. Found another one for very cheap with a bad ribbon cable and repaired it, now good as new.

I will be enabling VIM hack, getting a kufatec interface, and video mirroring a permanently mounted jailbroken Audi-ized iPhone to the RNS-E in the next few months.

NOW I realize there's a new 2010 RNS-E with a much better high-res screen and MMI features... they don't make one to fit a C5, but the faceplate can be swapped. Anybody seen one of these in the real world? Can't be sourced too easily from what I can tell.

I have to post this kind of shit here because no one else in the world understands what the hell I'm talking about. :lovl:

hahnmgh63
May 17th, 2011, 14:27
Skribe, I really blew it. There was a 2010 RNS-E on Craigslist for $750 only an hour away from me and I almost bought it as a swap or spare but I let it go as I have two Porsche PCM Nav units I'm trying to sell and I'm currently dumping loads of cash into my RS6 for the tranny, turbo's, etc...

JSRS6
May 17th, 2011, 14:30
Yeah, tell me about it Andrew. Even when I show my wife a picture of the spindle for her car and point out where I am going to replace her lower ball joints and tie rods and upper arm, her eyes glaze and she gets that 1000yd stare. I stop and she snaps back to reality. I can only imagine if I started getting more technical. I tried explaining turbocharging to her once also, with the animated gif online. No dice. :-)

PALETTE
May 17th, 2011, 15:44
[QUOTE=skribe;213769

I will be enabling VIM hack, getting a kufatec interface, and video mirroring a permanently mounted jailbroken Audi-ized iPhone to the RNS-E in the next few months.

I have to post this kind of shit here because no one else in the world understands what the hell I'm talking about. :lovl:[/QUOTE]

Oh Explain more!! I'm interested in doing this as well.. I really wanted to do the Macmini but that was going to be a long project!

skribe
May 17th, 2011, 21:03
I bought a spare center dash HVAC vent on eBay, going to sacrifice the left vent and build in an iPhone mount so it sits flush with the surface. I have a 90 degree iphone cord elbow that I had to source from the friggin netherlands to allow iPhone charging/video cord to elbow back and route invisibly into the dash, then connect to 12v power, and route video out from iPhone to the video in in the kufatec and connect to RNS-E with VIM hack enabled.

iPhone has a custom audi interface through "winterboard" (jailbroken) app, forced landscape mode through "SBRotator" jailbreak app. Also has TV out force mirrored through another jailbreak hack...

Net result is stock-appearing integrated mount, music and video integration, also ability to display any third-party iphone app to RNS-E display, including Rev gauge packages... which would look pretty kewl. Will make an effort to snap pix when I undertake this project.

Yes, hahn, you blew it! you could have swapped faces, sold your old RNS-E, come out close to even!

D'oh!

canuckinboston
May 17th, 2011, 21:03
The RNS-E is a real positive upgrade for our cars, brings them up to a much more modern interior and system. I have never heard of the Audi Bluetooth working with the stock Symphony II radio? But then I am in the process of dumping $7500 ~ $8000 in my engine/trans for upgrades.

I agree with what you said, but the aesthetics alone probably aren't worth the extra money for me at this time. The Dension Gateway 5 offers BT and a direct input to the Symphony II. Obviously you're limited to the one line screen instead of the full screen of the RNS-E, but I think I can be OK with that. The Gateway can be had for $270.00, so I can always go for the RNS-E later if I'm not happy and not be out a lot of money.

canuckinboston
May 17th, 2011, 21:04

I agree with what you said, but the aesthetics alone probably aren't worth the extra money for me at this time. The Dension Gateway 5 offers BT and a direct iPod input to the Symphony II. Obviously you're limited to the one line screen instead of the full screen of the RNS-E, but I think I can be OK with that. The Gateway can be had for $270.00, so I can always go for the RNS-E later if I'm not happy and not be out a lot of money.

skribe
May 17th, 2011, 21:06
keep trolling the classifieds on audi boards and craigslist. you don't have to pay that much.
once you get an RSN-E in the dash, you will say oh snap that is the sweetness and regret your time without it.

PALETTE
May 17th, 2011, 21:30
I bought a spare center dash HVAC vent on eBay, going to sacrifice the left vent and build in an iPhone mount so it sits flush with the surface. I have a 90 degree iphone cord elbow that I had to source from the friggin netherlands to allow iPhone charging/video cord to elbow back and route invisibly into the dash, then connect to 12v power, and route video out from iPhone to the video in in the kufatec and connect to RNS-E with VIM hack enabled.

iPhone has a custom audi interface through "winterboard" (jailbroken) app, forced landscape mode through "SBRotator" jailbreak app. Also has TV out force mirrored through another jailbreak hack...

Net result is stock-appearing integrated mount, music and video integration, also ability to display any third-party iphone app to RNS-E display, including Rev gauge packages... which would look pretty kewl. Will make an effort to snap pix when I undertake this project.

Yes, hahn, you blew it! you could have swapped faces, sold your old RNS-E, come out close to even!

D'oh!

I have to look into this, Can you send me pics when you do yours, I have my ipad Jail broken and it would be really neat if i could use the iTunes on my RNS unit and the video feature will keep my son happy so he can watch his what ever stuff.

amanda
May 17th, 2011, 23:16
My rsn-e supports the pie phone ;)

ttboost
May 18th, 2011, 02:15
Are all RNS-E's the same? I'm thinkin I need one and see them all over, with prices all over the map. Should I be looking for something in particular?

hahnmgh63
May 18th, 2011, 04:34
Some minor software differences in the N. America version up to 2010. The 2010 unit is like going from the I-phone 3GS to the I-phone-4. Faster processor, better screen, some new features. Here is another one that showed up in the local area at a good price, probably an A4 unit.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/2387347638.html

nistah
May 18th, 2011, 05:03
If I enable VIM in my RNS-E does that mean I can type a destination on the nav as I drive? Currently I cannot do this///thanks

canuckinboston
May 18th, 2011, 05:09
Some minor software differences in the N. America version up to 2010. The 2010 unit is like going from the I-phone 3GS to the I-phone-4. Faster processor, better screen, some new features. Here is another one that showed up in the local area at a good price, probably an A4 unit.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/2387347638.html
Hmmmm....that's not too bad. How easy would that be to fit in the RS6? Also...would the lack of a MFSW be an issue here?

hahnmgh63
May 18th, 2011, 05:09
I have a re-flashed Euro unit and I can enter destinations when I drive. I didn't know this was related to the VIM hack but maybe it is? For you other guys', you mean you can't enter a new Nav destination while the car is moving? I know with the hack on my unit I don't get that stupid lawyers warning about Nav, it goes straight to the Nav screen.

hahnmgh63
May 18th, 2011, 05:17
canuckinboston, what do you mean by the MFSW? If it is an A4 unit it will need a new faceplate and I don't know what they cost but I did E-mail the guy to ask what car is was out of. I know guys have swapped faceplates easily so I hope that means they can get them from the dealer, and hopefully at a reasonable, I mean cheap price.

skribe
May 18th, 2011, 05:37
Hmmmm....that's not too bad. How easy would that be to fit in the RS6? Also...would the lack of a MFSW be an issue here?

If it's an A4 unit it will fit, but with small wedge-shaped gaps on each side.

MFSW = multi-function steering wheel. No, unit does not need that. But I will say I miss it a little bit as the volume knob is way over there on the right.

canuckinboston, I hope that means they can get them from the dealer, and hopefully at a reasonable, I mean cheap price.

I don't think so... from what I recall they are hard to source and if so very expensive from the dealer...

I have a re-flashed Euro unit and I can enter destinations when I drive. I didn't know this was related to the VIM hack but maybe it is? For you other guys', you mean you can't enter a new Nav destination while the car is moving? I know with the hack on my unit I don't get that stupid lawyers warning about Nav, it goes straight to the Nav screen.

From what I know a US-flashed euro unit has no lawyer nag startup crap and no restrictions on entering destinations while the car is moving. US units do, but can't be disabled and has nothing to do with VIM hack, I think. I believe it's just US-flashed euro units that avoid that, which is a good reason to go that route.

ttboost
May 18th, 2011, 11:52
OK class...so we prefer a European unit vs the US unit, and hoping for a 2010 or newer out of an A6 (so faceplate fits?)

canuckinboston
November 9th, 2011, 22:56
Can anyone give me some practical advice on how to flash a European RNS-E to US firmware, and how to tell if its a 2010 model based on Serial number?

Thanks!

sx3mac
September 30th, 2012, 03:19
I am looking at getting a new RSN-E unit from ZAWA all up to date with the 2012 NAV DVD. Has anyone received one of these units from ZAWA and can you recommend him?

ben916
September 30th, 2012, 04:14
I think I have the 2011 disk and I bought mine from Tom Sawyer, who purchased it from ZAWA.
I was going to get one from ZAWA but Tom's became available.

I would recommend ZAWA.

s42ski
September 30th, 2012, 13:29
Just installed full BT/Sirius set up from ZAWA - it was all in the kit that he put together. Transaction was easy and the unit was fully testes and ready to go. Two thumbs way up.

sx3mac
October 1st, 2012, 00:48
Thanks guys for the input, when I get back I plan on doing this with ZAWA. Can't wait to replace the tape deck/ cd changer.