PDA

View Full Version : Beastpower Lidatek & Valentine 1 Mirror

Finnus
August 29th, 2003, 14:06
The ultimate in radar detection and jamming technology just got better!

I've ordered the mirror from BeastPower (how appropriate) with the integral Valentine 1 displays and the Lidatek LED built in.

http://www.beastpower.com/products/rearviewmirrors/porschev1.jpg

This is as stealthy as you can get for what we all already appreciate as a very (perhaps the ultimate) stealthy Beast.

BeastPower starts by ordering an RS6 mirror from Audi, then makes the necessary changes to integrate the V1 and Lidatek displays. This is very important. Since its an Audi mirror to begin with, you don't lose any of its functionality - in particular, the auto dimming and the direction indicator!

The Valentine switch can be mounted on the mirror ( as shown in the photo) or integrated into the dash board. I was concerned that adjusting the mirror mounted switch would tend to knock the mirror out of alignment. As a result, I'm going to have the switch integrated into the control panel to the left of the ESP control (there are three control panels in a row with ESP in the center - the left and the right are not used - I think they're for the warm weather package).

Valentine seems to be the undisputed king of radar detection. Unfortunately, the Valentine 1 detector has to be mounted on the windshield. BeastPower is looking into some options that include integrating it into the passenger side visor or designing its own box that will be mounted inside.

On the jammer side, the mirror is not limited to Lidatek. Apparently, any jammer can be wired into the BeastPower mirror.

Although the other post on RS6 accessories mentioned a $150 credit for turning in your "old" mirror, I think I'm going to keep mine just in case. My Audi dealer is going to install the new mirror, the switch and the Lidatek sensors.

To order contact BeastPower at

www.beastpower.com

Go to the online store , select Audi and you can order the mirror ($1,095) and the V1 switch ($195) for the RS6 plus shipping and handling.

For questions, call Daniel at (650) 903-2204 or e-mail him at beastpower@beastpower.com

:cheers:

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

Erik
August 29th, 2003, 14:19
That is awesome!

(I took the liberty of editing your post since you made a mistake with the http:// function. Included the image instead.)

peterb
August 29th, 2003, 15:12
Originally posted by Finnus
... Since its an Audi mirror to begin with, you don't lose any of its functionality - in particular, the auto dimming and the direction indicator!
What's this about direction indicator?:confused:

I know my mirror auto-dims, but it doesn't have any direction indicator, AFAIAA.

Mr. Fru-T Pants
August 29th, 2003, 15:32
Peter, if you're being serious, the answer is that the directional arrows are part of the built-in Valentine 1 display. The radar detector(thought by most die-hard Audi-heads here in the States to be the ultimate in protection), has directional indicators which alert one as to the direction of the signal, a feature I daresay to which one grows accustomed, and eventually cannot do without.
It's saved my skinny white butt more than a few times.

Fru-T

Finnus
August 29th, 2003, 15:47
What's this about direction indicator?

Peter,

I was referring to a LED indicator in the lower right hand corner of the stock US RS6 rearview mirror that tells you what direction you're heading in - N, NW, S, etc.

Finnus

:addict:

RS6FEVR
August 29th, 2003, 16:43
:cheers: Finnus

This is probably the coolest install of these two "necessities" I have seen so far. You're right about the other dash button being for the warm weather package. The left one controls the rear window deck shade and the right one is available; my car has solar package, with no discernable function for this button.
Question: The valentine "switch" you're speaking of, do you mean the remote wired component that has the same arrow display as the "main" detector? Even zooming in on the mirror pictue didn't give me a clue about this switch. I think beastpower is going to have a real hit on their hands if they can integrate the v1 into the visor. I'll jump on this in a minute. Please, at your convenience, keep me/us informed on this project. This weekend, I'm going to install my V1 with suction cup to right side of rear view and run the wire to the fuse box per the previously posted A6 instructions. I've asked my dealer about the L20 install and they have been loath to commit. May have to go to specialized stereo installer. :confused:

Thanks a lot for this post. I'm really interested and will be contacting beastpower for their expertise.

:addict: FEVR :addict:

Finnus
August 29th, 2003, 17:02
FEVR,

This is probably the coolest install of these two "necessities" I have seen so far.
I agree. When I saw this on the "accessories" thread I said, "I HAVE to have this & called right away!"

The valentine "switch" you're speaking of, do you mean the remote wired component that has the same arrow display as the "main" detector?
No. The switch I'm referring to is the V1 on/off/volume/mute control.

I've asked my dealer about the L20 install and they have been loath to commit.
Service at my dealer has agreed to install it. It sounded pretty involved, removing some of the components in the engine bay, in order to do it right. Once they've installed mine, maybe your dealer needs to speak with mine. I just don't want to jeopardize mine getting done ... They're the ones I want doing it - they know the car better than some stereo installer.

This weekend, I'm going to install my V1 with suction cup to right side of rear view
I'm putting miine in the same spot for now - until the visor option becomes available.

I'll keep everyone posted on progress!

:cheers:

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

RS6FEVR
August 29th, 2003, 17:20
:bow: :bow: You definitely the man in this post Finnus

Thanks for the quick reply. If you get the chance and the install goes okay, I'd really appreciate having my dealer talk to yours about this. That might make this go a whole lot smoother as I totally agree, who knows this car best?? No brainer for sure.

peterb
August 29th, 2003, 18:03
Originally posted by Mr. Fru-T Pants
Peter, if you're being serious, the answer is that the directional arrows are part of the built-in Valentine 1 display.
Ah, okay. It read, to me, as though it was part of the standard Audi mirror.:bang:

peterb
August 29th, 2003, 18:09
Originally posted by Finnus
I was referring to a LED indicator in the lower right hand corner of the stock US RS6 rearview mirror that tells you what direction you're heading in - N, NW, S, etc.
Ooo - very neat. We don't get that in the UK!:(

TheBrit
August 29th, 2003, 19:29
Originally posted by peterb
Ooo - very neat. We don't get that in the UK!:(
No, but press your right-hand Nav+ button. They don't get that in the US!

nene
August 29th, 2003, 20:20
That is truly some awesome news Finnus. Keep us posted on the setup, and how awesome it looks.
Great choice, as I was thinking about it as well.

RS6FEVR
August 29th, 2003, 20:40

Okay Brit - what's the feature we colonials don't get with that Nav+ button????

Benman
August 29th, 2003, 21:49
Originally posted by RS6FEVR

try a full TV screen WITH reception!!!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

peterb
August 30th, 2003, 08:50
Originally posted by TheBrit
Yep, but having the compass display available permanently is a neat feature. However, I have a compass display permanently visible on my RoadPilot GPS-based speed camera detector.

The RoadPilot uses direction of movement to identify the heading but I believe that the Nav+ incorporates a fluxgate compass. What technology is used for the display in US cars, and is it only available when the car is equiped with Nav?

peterb
August 30th, 2003, 08:55
It gives us a full screen compass rose display in the lcd screen in the centre console. See here (http://www.tvwiz.net/navigation) for more info about what the Nav+ system can do.

TheBrit
August 30th, 2003, 16:13
Yup, GPS compass in the Nav+ display as peterb says. He's quite right that you don't see it all the time, but the map display does have a little North indicator arrow & that's good enough for me. I can't really see much use for a compass - am I missing something?

'You colonials' need to miss out on a few goodies to make up for the fact you get your petrol so cheaply! It makes us Brits not feel so bad about still being stuck here on our 'quaint' little island... :D

Erik
February 20th, 2004, 16:33
Did anyone install this mirror in the RS6 yet? :0:

Finnus
February 20th, 2004, 16:46
Erik,

I have.

Finnus
:addict:

Erik
February 20th, 2004, 17:01
Finnus,

Do you have any pictures to share?
If not, please get them :p

highrustler
February 20th, 2004, 17:09
What is the benefit of this product if you still have to mount the V1 on a visor or windshield? It's a great idea, but would make more sense if it were self contained.

James