PDA

View Full Version : MTM 568hp kit - turbo specs for rebuild?

dmross
November 30th, 2009, 21:11
Well the car is in for transmission work and I got a call telling me that both turbos seem to be leaking a lot of oil. I'm not entirely surprised considering that they have been on the car for ~5 years and have probably seen a good amount of abuse. I assume the seals are bad and need to be replaced.

The turbos are from the MTM "stage 3" kit, which I understand are custom-spec KKK turbos that *might* be based on the K16 - as someone mentioned in a thread here years ago.. Does anyone know the exact specs of these turbos? I am looking to find someone who can rebuild them for me, but I can't get an answer without knowing the specs to determine what parts are needed.

I spoke with Mike Hoppen this morning and he is contacting MTM to see if they can provide some guidance, but if they can be rebuilt with off-the-shelf KKK parts it will probably be much cheaper!

DHall1
November 30th, 2009, 21:17
How about some picture of the said leak?

Where is the leak coming from?

I assume they are talking about oil in the intercooler charge air pipes post turbo. Just want to make sure.

Well the car is in for transmission work and I got a call telling me that both turbos seem to be leaking a lot of oil. I'm not entirely surprised considering that they have been on the car for ~5 years and have probably seen a good amount of abuse. I assume the seals are bad and need to be replaced.

The turbos are from the MTM "stage 3" kit, which I understand are custom-spec KKK turbos that *might* be based on the K16 - as someone mentioned in a thread here years ago.. Does anyone know the exact specs of these turbos? I am looking to find someone who can rebuild them for me, but I can't get an answer without knowing the specs to determine what parts are needed.

I spoke with Mike Hoppen this morning and he is contacting MTM to see if they can provide some guidance, but if they can be rebuilt with off-the-shelf KKK parts it will probably be much cheaper!

dmross
November 30th, 2009, 23:48
How about some picture of the said leak?

Where is the leak coming from?

I assume they are talking about oil in the intercooler charge air pipes post turbo. Just want to make sure.

No, I was told the leaks are coming from the exhaust wheel and running into the downpipes. However I agree it is very likely that oil is making it through on the cold side as well.

I don't have any pictures but I will ask about getting some.

hahnmgh63
December 1st, 2009, 00:23
I just cleaned my downpipes 3 months ago and don't drive my car a lot and now I've just pulled my intercoolers for the Wagner intercooler install and there is quite a bit of oil in the intercooler (and lower intercooler hoses) again (56K car). I've decided I'm going to install and oil catch can and try to trap some of this oil in the intake. Has anyone else done this on their RS6?

DHall1
December 1st, 2009, 02:12
Uhhh, how much oil do you think would be visible in an environment that reaches 1500 degrees?

If its leaking that bad in the turbine housing.....your car would smoke like a coal fired locomotive or a 1990 Chevy C10 with a 6.2 diesel.

I think pics are in order.

No, I was told the leaks are coming from the exhaust wheel and running into the downpipes. However I agree it is very likely that oil is making it through on the cold side as well.

I don't have any pictures but I will ask about getting some.

TozoM8
December 1st, 2009, 05:08
The down pipe has pressure. If the seal failed it would let exhaust gas into the oil, not oil into the exhaust. It would also trigger a CEL as the O2 sensor is right there. It is more likely leaks into the intake side.

dmross
December 1st, 2009, 05:48
The down pipe has pressure. If the seal failed it would let exhaust gas into the oil, not oil into the exhaust. It would also trigger a CEL as the O2 sensor is right there. It is more likely leaks into the intake side.

If the seals are kaput the oil can leak out of the center section into the compressor housing or the turbine housing. It can leak while the car is running or after the car is shut off. It can be caused by excess crankcase pressure or even overfilling the oil.

The purpose of this thread is to see if anyone knows the specs of the MTM "M568" turbos and what KKK components they use so I can have them rebuilt if they are actually bad. I don't have them in front of me, so we can debate all day long about things we can't answer.

DHall1
December 1st, 2009, 06:05
Ok

I dont know a thing about MTM turbos.

rle55
December 1st, 2009, 15:56
did you get this car from hoppen motorsports?

ScrollProducts
July 13th, 2011, 12:39
Hello,

Im sure there are many Audi 2.7t and 4.2t drivers facing the same turbocharger situation, rebuild them or leave them alone. This specifically applies to those drivers with the Tiptronic Transmission in the 4.2t RS6. Know-one wants to remove the turbochargers from a 2.7t or 4.2t motor and have to do it twice because the turbochargers were not built properly. The K04-028/029 turbochargers are well built compared to their K03 counterparts but even the premium K04 turbos suffer from fatigue especially on cars where drivers use aggressive tuning. Over the years we have been the go to shop for Audi VW turbocharger repair, rebuilding, overhaul, upgrades and have extensive experience working with Borg Warner turbochargers. If you are on the fence with regard to a K04 rebuild and need more information feel free to inquire.

Our goal is to provide knowledgeable customer service and quality turbocharger replacements for the VAG community at a reasonable cost.

Scroll Products
111 Clinton Road Unit 6
Fairfield, NJ 07004
201-925-0825

MaxRS6
July 13th, 2011, 12:48
Welcome aboard! It is always great to have skilled persons join us.

I'm currently undergoing a turbo transplant. I'll certainly keep you in mind if I need to do it again in the future.

On another question, might you take a look at a failed turbo to possibly locate the root cause of a failure? I might be interested in this service due to my current situation.

ScrollProducts
July 13th, 2011, 12:54
Call me after 10am 201-925-0825

MaxRS6
July 13th, 2011, 12:56
^ Thank you and I will.

Elevens
July 14th, 2011, 01:01
Well I got the Turbo's back from Sean at ScrollProducts after sending them to him for Rebuilding while the Transmission was being Rebuilt. They came back looking Brand New and apparently well taken care of. After I went Cattless (Full Race Downpipes) I had noticed some smoke upon every cold startup. I spoke to a few experts about this and they said it was probably a pre-existing condition which was masked by the Cats. What was causing the smoking I wasn't certain. However since the Rebuilt Turbo's were installed the Smoking has completely disappeared, leading me to conclude that the Turbo seals were starting to fail. So apparently it was a good call to have them rebuilt while the Engine was out. There also seems to be a marked improvement in throttle response, probably due to faster spooling. Just something else for you to consider while your engine is out for whatever reason...

hahnmgh63
July 14th, 2011, 01:18
Along with Elevens I also used Scroll products. They had a lot of experience in Europe (do a Google Search) before opening a U.S. affiliate and they have the specialized equipment for high speed dynamic balancing where some of the Turbo rebuilders just do a static balance becuase of the equipment cost. I have not installed my Turbos yet as I have been busy at work and buying other parts but as Elevens, my Turbos look new and I can't wait to get them back on my car. The price as Elevens mentioned is better than I had expected too.

Elevens
July 14th, 2011, 01:36
And by the way, had it not been for hahnmgh63 I would not have had them Rebuilt. This was just a preventive maintenance measure, which turned out to be a good call on his part. Since apparently mine were starting to fail................................

speedtrapped
July 14th, 2011, 01:58
I have to check these guys out, not far from me. I am just wondering, I have my used set...audizine buyer fell thru, kid with no $. Hmm, I wonder if I can change turbine housing, polish compressor housing change turbine and add some stronger WG's...nice back ups in case I blow the DBR's( just modified K04)