PDA

View Full Version : Raced an R8 Yesterday

RS6VA
November 29th, 2009, 14:50
For those curios, we made 5-6 runs from a stand still, in every case I immediately jumped a car ahead but he took off while he was still in first gear to go 2-3 car lengths ahead but never gained more than that. In fact if we had more room I think I could have made up some ground. Not bad for a 4000lb+, 7 year old saloon.

We tried leaving it in automatic and also tried the paddles - same results.

As a comparison my 08' M3 would take him every time from a rolling start (5-10mph) and stay 2-3 cars ahead of him while stretching the lead until we ran out of room.

I plan to do some performance upgrades in December and we will try again to see what happens. Perhaps I can get it on video next time. Stay tuned...

Ruergard
November 29th, 2009, 16:26
Interesting, if video is possible the nest time it would be very appreciated! :thumb:

DHall1
November 29th, 2009, 16:32
Was the R8 a tip or 6speed?

How did you launch your car?

RS6VA
November 29th, 2009, 18:56
His car is tip. I had left foot on brake right foot on gas rev'd to about 4k and let it go

DHall1
November 29th, 2009, 20:15
Ahhh,

Your car is much faster with a different launch technique. Your trans may last longer as well.

His car is tip. I had left foot on brake right foot on gas rev'd to about 4k and let it go

RS6VA
November 29th, 2009, 23:15
Please advsie. I know very little about this car, just sorting things out.

snoopra
November 30th, 2009, 00:08
Not a fair comparison between the 6 and the M3. From stand still, your M3 would've been smoked. A rolling start, and the 6 would've smoked the R8. JMHO

RS6VA
November 30th, 2009, 00:29
Potentially...unless I got a perfect launch with minimal wheelspin in the M. With the right launch the M3 was very quick and would certainly be quicker than the 6. I had a 6 speed so shifts had to be right on as well. Dont under estimate the M, it could have used some more torque but once it spun up to 5 grand it really took off.

Also, the RS6 from a rolling start, say 10-15mph will 100% not take the R8, at best maybe hang evenly. If the R8 is in its powerband it comes on strong.

I am having fun finding out so stay tuned to the next round. I also have a neighbor with a 599, another with an e63 and another buddy with a diablo VT roadster. I would like to get before and after upgrade runs. I hope to get all of them on video for everyones enjoyment.

On a side note, the R8's transmission seemed to be having an issue on a couple runs. On one run it did not engage in gear and on another it would take a second to engage. When everything worked, it hit the gears hard and jumped out ahead.

RXBG
November 30th, 2009, 00:52
i read this as the M3 was faster than the R8? i can't understand how- unless the M3 was DCT and the R-tronic in the R8 was having problems.

i've raced many new M3's and none of them ever kept up. at best they were half a car length behind me regardless of speed. i have a manual R8.

RS6VA
November 30th, 2009, 01:04
That is correct, I beat him everytime from a rolling start. I never got a good launch from a stand still to be close, too much wheelspin. The cars are evenly matched but I guess I was hitting my max torque quicker than him and would get the benefit.

We would start while I was in 1st gear, I would jump ahead and by the time I was in 2nd I was 2-3 cars ahead.

Honestly, I dont care too much other than bragging rights. All of these cars are very quick and a lot of fun. I

RXBG
November 30th, 2009, 02:04
Honestly, I dont care too much other than bragging rights. All of these cars are very quick and a lot of fun. I

fair enough.

:cheers:

p3u
November 30th, 2009, 03:23

Are you saying you power braked your RS6 till 4k? There is no way it would go that high, unless you had it modified or it is damaged.

V8weight
November 30th, 2009, 03:40
Are you saying you power braked your RS6 till 4k? There is no way it would go that high, unless you had it modified or it is damaged.
True, I've had mine at the dragstrip a few times, and tried various launch techniques. I can say for certain that it won't rev past 2000rpm while brake boosting.

DHall1
November 30th, 2009, 03:52
I can rev to 4000 and then drop in drive.

:brag:

p3u
November 30th, 2009, 04:26

Hahahaha, your the last person on the planet to pull that one.

So, is neutral dropping what was going on here? Heck, I can rev mine to 7k and launch then! :jlol:

V8weight
November 30th, 2009, 04:28

You lucky bastard, you have the optional launch control?

TozoM8
November 30th, 2009, 04:31
That's funny...........but if it true, see you in a couple weeks :)

DHall1
November 30th, 2009, 04:56
Yep,

The special air shifted Lenco quattro.

V8weight
November 30th, 2009, 05:10
Yep,

The special air shifted Lenco quattro.
Sweet! What's a performance car with out a lever for every gear?

RS6VA
December 1st, 2009, 00:22
True, I've had mine at the dragstrip a few times, and tried various launch techniques. I can say for certain that it won't rev past 2000rpm while brake boosting.

I will try again, I must be off on my estimation as I wasnt watching the tach. I definitely was on the gas while on the brake and had no issues. Doesnt really really matter, outcome is what it is with the race that was the point of the thread.

DHAll suggested there is a better technique with this car?

Boost+V8=:)
December 1st, 2009, 22:05
Thats funny I also ran into an R8 and I also had blown an intercooler hose straight off. He couldnt keep up with me at all, but I do have Unitronics software.

Where are you located in VA?

DuckWingDuck
December 2nd, 2009, 02:21
roflmao@dave. Friggin' classic!!

On the R8, I'm assuming it's not the new V10? I've always maintained that the original V8 R8 was just too underpowered.

hahnmgh63
December 2nd, 2009, 02:48
Cheaper to go with the R8 V8 and put and MTM supercharger on it then it will be much faster than the V10 for less $$.

DHall1
December 2nd, 2009, 03:01
hehe just for you Greg. :hahahehe:

Actually, after 20k miles you will end up taking off the MTM supercharger 3 times to clean the intake valves of carbon. It may cost more than the V10.

But, hey the V10 may end up with the same carbon deposit problems. :nana:

For my .02c it would be the PES supercharger on the R8.

December 2nd, 2009, 10:02
I have 2 friends who own a DCT M3 and V8 R8, and I smoke both of them with my RS6 C5 - APR software upgrade & AT upgrade & Remus cat back. Whether it be off the line, or rolling start. There isnt much in it, maximum 1 car length or less, but I always have my nose in front.

RS6-4dr911
December 2nd, 2009, 14:21
Glad you're defending the marque but I'm not sure 1 car length constitutes "smoking" someone. If I got beat by 1 or even 2 car lengths I would say it was very close, not that I got smoked. But give 'em hell.

RS6VA
December 2nd, 2009, 19:41
My car is stock, we plan to run again after I upgrade the software. This will now be delayed as today I got a check engine light. Once i get this corrected we will run again and I will get it on video.

I agree that there is not a lot of bang for your buck with an R8 (V8), the car looks and sounds great but the performance does not match the price.

RS6VA
December 19th, 2009, 22:36
just had the dealer run diagnostics again as the check engine light came back on, come to find out that some hoses were deteriorated so I was losing air to the engine. The car defintely feels better now. Just heads up for others. Hopefully this is the only problem so I can get my Utronics upgrade and have another race. Looks like it will be a while with the 2' of snow we are currently getting.

GEN XER
December 19th, 2009, 23:40
I will try again, I must be off on my estimation as I wasnt watching the tach. I definitely was on the gas while on the brake and had no issues. Doesnt really really matter, outcome is what it is with the race that was the point of the thread.

DHAll suggested there is a better technique with this car?

Thats funny I also ran into an R8 and I also had blown an intercooler hose straight off. He couldnt keep up with me at all, but I do have Unitronics software.

We need to get together sometime, maybe at the track when it opens next summer. Im in Va Bch. I am thinking of getting the Unitronic tune myself. Seeing as to how easy my Trans replacement went, I'm not as concerned about Warranty issues.

RS6VA
December 20th, 2009, 00:21
Summit point is about 35 minutes from here, VIR is a good 90 minutes plus so let me know. There are a couple of other RS6's running around here but I dont think they are on this forum. I would like to get some R compund tires and upgraded suspension first but I'm game.

RS6VA
December 20th, 2009, 00:50

Ashburn, about 5-10 minutes from Dulles airport.