PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Time - Hood vents

RS6-4dr911
November 23rd, 2009, 00:21
Been trying to work on this, bought the wrong part as a test mule, efforts to find the right one have yielded no results so far.

So the poll is:

1. These hood vents look good enough to go ahead and cut into the original hood.

2. Are you nucking futz? Wait until you find a donor hood and even then think twice.

(They would eventually be painted to match, these are clearly just photocopies of the actual vents, 100% scale)

DHall1
November 23rd, 2009, 02:32
Noooooooo

V8weight
November 23rd, 2009, 03:01
Just to clarify, what are we looking at? Did you print off pictures of the proposed vents and lay them on the hood? I don't mind the shape, it suits the rounded proportions of the car.
(http://rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8879&d=1258936072)
(http://rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8879&d=1258936072)

RS6-4dr911
November 23rd, 2009, 03:19
Those are photocopies of the actual vents - I have them on hand. I simply placed them on the copier and darkened them a bit. They're first rate aluminum castings. More detailed photos attached. I plant to fabricate a sheet aluminum catch tray underneath for water control that will still allow the same area of air to escape.

DHall1
November 23rd, 2009, 03:41
Ok, those look better.

MAYBEEEEEE

SAF
November 23rd, 2009, 04:21
Nay on the only hood you have.

Avus-RS6
November 23rd, 2009, 04:28
I say do it!

mmaturo
November 23rd, 2009, 04:37
not on the hood you have. Decent shape/scale but the fins look bulky and welds in first segment need to go. Not bad but i would find a donor hood.

snoopra
November 23rd, 2009, 05:22
Try out on a donor first. MHO

shoeboxjoe
November 23rd, 2009, 17:23
Those are the reproduction Ford Sierra Cosworth vents aren't they? I used to have an '89 Merkur XR4Ti and that was a common thing to see on the XR's. I don't think they would work so well with the curves of the RS6 but man they look sharp on the Cosworths.

http://maitokannu.com/misc/Ford_Sierra_RS_Cosworth_2.jpg

RS6-4dr911
November 23rd, 2009, 17:33
well aren't you the clever one, with a photographic memory.

Call Dave to get your chicken dinner.

shoeboxjoe
November 23rd, 2009, 18:29
Actually i change my mind, i think if you could get the to sit flush with the hood they would look great where you have them mocked up. Some XR owners would use some body filler to blend them seamlessly with the hood. I'll see if I can dig up some pics from the All Ford Nationals.

DHall1
November 23rd, 2009, 18:32
Impressed.

I want his crystal ball.

well aren't you the clever one, with a photographic memory.

Call Dave to get your chicken dinner.

RS6-4dr911
November 23rd, 2009, 18:52
so Dave and Joe, are those full recants? making poll 4-3 in favor, or just voting present, making it 3-2 against?

shoeboxjoe
November 23rd, 2009, 19:07
Yea I'd say do it. I've done the install of those exact hood louvers several times and they're very easy to do. If you don't like them or want to change it back it's just a matter of getting another daytona gray (?) hood from another C5.

DHall1
November 23rd, 2009, 19:15
I still say its the mounting of the vent.

Experiment with the mounting on your scrap hood. Then show us the pics of the vent actually mounted in the scrap hood.

so Dave and Joe, are those full recants? making poll 4-3 in favor, or just voting present, making it 3-2 against?

DuckWingDuck
November 24th, 2009, 00:04
I say go for it, but are you going to be gaining any performance here or just aesthetics...? But I'd be inclined to voting against if it's your only hood. Also, I'd paint the vents to match

RS6-4dr911
November 24th, 2009, 00:23
There's not likely to be any measurable performance gains, since some crude testing showed that underway, there's quite a bit of airflow and temps drop quickly, but most importantly once stopped the heat will have a place to go, cooling the compartment that is normally sealed around the perimeter instead of baking rubber hoses, bushings and pcb's underhood.

As with most mod's, this one's functional one, but mainly it looks cool if done right. Vents will most definitely be painted to match.

DuckWingDuck
November 24th, 2009, 00:53
hey now, nick's hood mod is both functional AND pleasing! ;-)

V8weight
November 24th, 2009, 00:55
I saw your ad on Audizine looking for a spare 4.2 hood. I did a quick search and found one in Texas in A condition. Might be worth looking into if you want to experiment on a spare.
G & N Auto Recycling L.L.C. (http://www.gandnautorecycling.com/) USA-TX(Canutillo) 915-877-5353
BLACK VERY CLEAN A-0 000 (http://www.car-part.com/images/hood.htm) stock#09L007 $300

Benman
November 24th, 2009, 01:06
I voted NO for an original hood. But if you have an extra then go for it. :cheers:

RS6-4dr911
November 24th, 2009, 04:20
hey now, nick's hood mod is both functional AND pleasing! ;-)

Well this one certainly won't be any less functional and, no offense to Head Shot, but I think looks a whole lot better. The lines on his do not follow the lines of the hood.

RS6-4dr911
November 24th, 2009, 04:33
First, nice work, I searched as hard as I could and came up empty. Repeatedly. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Second, yes it's in Texas, but you yanks have got to remember how big this friggin' place is. El Paso is more than half way to California from Houston.

Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi are all closer to Houston, TX than El Paso, TX.

Regardless, truck freight is pretty constant after a certain distance so it shouldn't matter that much.

Good work my friend.

I saw your ad on Audizine looking for a spare 4.2 hood. I did a quick search and found one in Texas in A condition. Might be worth looking into if you want to experiment on a spare.
G & N Auto Recycling L.L.C. (http://www.gandnautorecycling.com/) USA-TX(Canutillo) 915-877-5353
BLACK VERY CLEAN A-0 000 (http://www.car-part.com/images/hood.htm) stock#09L007 $300

V8weight
November 24th, 2009, 05:14
First, nice work, I searched as hard as I could and came up empty. Repeatedly. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Second, yes it's in Texas, but you yanks have got to remember how big this friggin' place is. El Paso is more than half way to California from Houston.

Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi are all closer to Houston, TX than El Paso, TX.

Regardless, truck freight is pretty constant after a certain distance so it shouldn't matter that much.

Good work my friend.
Ha! I know my geography, but that appears to be the only on in your state. Two notes of interest though. Most recyclers make weekly or by weekly runs into larger metro areas with loads of parts. You could possibly see if they could throw it in on a run. Also, most recyclers are networked, so you could find a local salvage yard and see if they could order the hood in for you and they'll have it shipped to them. For reference, that's a pretty good price for that hood. There isn't a single one up here in the north for under $500, and they all have notes about damage.

RS6-4dr911
November 24th, 2009, 05:44
Unlike many people/entities in today's internet age, you are a wealth of useful information. Thanks.