PDA

View Full Version : A4 B8 facelift

andreadebi
November 22nd, 2009, 13:47
in 2010?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109112023154/mercedes-c-class-facelift-spied

"...The updated C-Class will go on sale in 2010, just months before the all-new BMW 3 Series(strange,I know presentation new f30 @ iaa 2011) and the facelift Audi A4"

roadrunner
November 22nd, 2009, 17:32
in 2010?

Sometines they don't get simple math :doh:

A4 B8 intro Sep. 2007

Audi model range lifecycle: 4 + 3 = 7 (introduction + facelift = lifespan)

Therefore A4 B8 FL = ~ 09.2011

tailpipe
November 23rd, 2009, 01:19
They may be right on this one. As good as the B8 A4 is, it appears that Audi isn't as happy with it as it would like to be. B8 A4 was developed according to former VW boss, Bernd Pischetstrieder's vision, not new VW boss (and former Audi chief) Martin Winterkorn's vision. The rumour I hear is that Audi is going to do a Golf VI job on the A4, i.e. substantially re-work it and call it a B9. We should see the engine move further rearwards to improve weight distribution and handling. It may pay to do this sooner rather than later.

AndyBG
November 23rd, 2009, 10:49
So... Something like B6/B7 situation...?

tailpipe
November 23rd, 2009, 12:15
So... Something like B6/B7 situation...?

Exactly. With the next A8 and A6 signed off, and using fundamentally the same platform, which has been modified since the A4 was launched, it would make sense to align a revised A4 with its larger siblings sooner rather than later.

I really don't know full details about this, yet, but if it involves moving the engine further rearwards, even by only 10 cm, as we all know this would have a dramatic effect on weight balance and handling.

All I know for sure is that Ingolstadt wants the A4 to have significantly better ride and handling than its two main rivals: the C-Class and 3-Series. With the acquisition of Porsche we are witnessing a wholesale ramping-up of the VW Group's already excellent engineering capabilities (which includes luring many talented people from competitors). Ferdinand Piech wants Volkswagen-Audi-Porsche to have the best engineered cars in every segment.

RXBG
November 23rd, 2009, 13:54
Piech is the man.

the other thing is tranny. it is high time audi becomes the first german maker to put DSG in its cars across the board.

andreadebi
November 23rd, 2009, 15:20
They may be right on this one. As good as the B8 A4 is, it appears that Audi isn't as happy with it as it would like to be. B8 A4 was developed according to former VW boss, Bernd Pischetstrieder's vision, not new VW boss (and former Audi chief) Martin Winterkorn's vision. The rumour I hear is that Audi is going to do a Golf VI job on the A4, i.e. substantially re-work it and call it a B9. We should see the engine move further rearwards to improve weight distribution and handling. It may pay to do this sooner rather than later.

interesting,thanks!

AndyBG
November 23rd, 2009, 16:54
OK then... If there wasn't B6 RS 4, but there was B7 RS 4, can we expect to see B9 RS 4 in some foreseeable time...?

Yellow RS6
November 23rd, 2009, 22:04
the other thing is tranny. it is high time audi becomes the first german maker to put DSG in its cars across the board.

+1! If not across the board (not sure if DSG can handle the higher power engines yet), it should at least be available in the A4. It doesn't make sense, they offer it in the A3 and GTI but not the A4??? :vhmmm:

The RS6
November 24th, 2009, 08:09
I think it has something to do with engine layout...

roadrunner
November 24th, 2009, 09:17
...The rumour I hear is that Audi is going to do a Golf VI job on the A4, i.e. substantially re-work it and call it a B9. We should see the engine move further rearwards to improve weight distribution and handling. It may pay to do this sooner rather than later.

Interresting info.

One thing that makes it unlikely to me: Moving the engine backwards is something different (major reengeneering of the front) than doing a major facelift (aka A4 B6 -> A4 B7 & Golf 5 -> Golf 6).

In none of the two cases was the underbody changed.

roadrunner
November 24th, 2009, 09:19
+1! If not across the board (not sure if DSG can handle the higher power engines yet), it should at least be available in the A4. It doesn't make sense, they offer it in the A3 and GTI but not the A4??? :vhmmm:

Don't forget: S-tronic (=DSG) is availabe in the S4, A5 Sportback & Q5. It will drop in the other A4/A5 over the next years.

KresoF1
November 25th, 2009, 07:16
7speed S Tronics is avilable for:

A4 2.0TFSI quattro(211ps)
A4 3.0TDI quattro
A5 2.0TFSI quattro
A5 3.0TDI quattro
A5SB 2.0TFSI quattro
A5SB 3.2FSI quattro
A5SB 3.0TDI quattro
A5 Cabrio 2.0TFSI quattro
A5 Cabrio 3.2FSI quattro
A5 Cabrio 3.0TDI quattro

and of course all S4/S5SB and S5 Cabrio models.

Key is that new 7speed S Tronic with wet clutches is available only for quattro models. Longer wait will be for FWD versions...

roadrunner
November 25th, 2009, 08:39
KresoF1, thank you for the clarification :thumb:

Yellow RS6
November 25th, 2009, 15:23
I understand that S tronic is DSG, but in the US they still don't offer it on A4s (S4 is a different animal altogether). In the US, these are our A4 choices currently, all 2.0T:

CVT w/FrontTrak
6-speed manual Quattro
6-speed Tiptronic Quattro

I'm not sure about A5 options as I need 4 doors (we don't get the sportback here), so I haven't really looked into them.

tailpipe
December 11th, 2009, 12:09
I recently experienced a friend's new 3.0 litre S4 Avant. Previously, I had underestimated this car, because it is not until you go on a longer journey that you appreciate what an incredible car it is. The S4 is definitely the pick of the A4 bunch. While UK motoring journalists have criticised the A4's hard ride, in the S4 you cannot fault it. Then there's the interior, which is superbly comfortable with truly excellent ergonomics. The car is such a sure-footed beast that it really covers ground without drama or indiscretion. The engine speaks quietly but carries a big stick. DSG works a treat. Fabulous. The titanic amounts of energy it can summon for an overtaking manoeuvre is nothing short of mind blowing. It felt only natural to compare the S4 to the B7 RS4. I have to say that the new S4 runs it very close. The only real disadvantage is that the RS4's engine noise is totally intoxicating. Yet, when you dig deeper and compare the dynamic set-up, the B8 A4 series really is a huge leap forward compared to its ancestor. If I could change one thing, it would only be to replace the satnav with a touch screen alternative. I really feel that the S4 is a perfect blank canvas for painting the next RS4. I do miss a V8 engine, but that is a purely psychological issue and really is unrelated to the real world on the road. The other car I'd compare it to is the Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 CDI. This too is an awesome beast; it feels as if it has been laser cut from a single billet of solid metal. While it conveys a sense of unassailable integrity, it somehow fails to impart the same sense of confidence and capability that the S4 delivers on a plate. On a winter road, I would take the Audi every time. Pushing on a bit (i mean going as fast as we safely could!) the fuel economy was somewhat compromised, but who cares when driving is this much fun.

Benman
December 11th, 2009, 20:54
I recently experienced a friend's new 3.0 litre S4 Avant. Previously, I had underestimated this car...

I freely admit that I was one of the individuals that not only underestimated it (S4), but downright stated how disapointed I was with the blown vs TT motor before the car was even out.

So, it is nice to read posts like these and see I was wrong. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Audiphile
December 15th, 2009, 06:47
in 2010?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109112023154/mercedes-c-class-facelift-spied

"...The updated C-Class will go on sale in 2010, just months before the all-new BMW 3 Series(strange,I know presentation new f30 @ iaa 2011) and the facelift Audi A4"

Nothing really special about the C-Class redesign. It's already a hideous looking thing with a low quality interior.

tailpipe
December 15th, 2009, 11:50
Actually, although the design hasn't changed, they've quietly upgraded some of the materials used to make the cabin interior since production started. It is much better than it was.

Until now, Mercedes-Benz design has very much been a case of: 'they set a low standard and failed to achieve it'. The dreadful headlight clusters, clumsy proportions and strange angles are at odds with the deep integrity of so many other traditional Merc strengths. Moreover, why have they still not launched a DSG gearbox when every other luxury manufacturer has? Their tech is also very uninspiring.

Note: i said until now. During 2009, Mercedes Benz head of design: Gorden Wagener hired two talented new designers: Joel Piaskowski (Hyundai Genesis Coupe) and Karim Karim Habib (BMW 7-Series). After several busy months, we'll see the first draft of their vision for the future of MB design at Detroit.

Personally, when it comes to a design renaissance, I am not holding my breath. Mercedes-Benz really needs to up its game in the styling of its cars. But since its cars are driven mostly by old men i cannot see it breaking the mold. Surprise me, Stuttgart.