PDA

View Full Version : DRC Trouble in Fairfield County CT

draklleb
November 22nd, 2009, 01:11
Hi All....

...was wondering if anybody in the area had a well sorted DRC installation....post recall.

I took my previously perfect RS6 to Audi thinking, "why not do the recall....it's just getting new, better parts for free." But, now I don't like the way it handles.

When I first got it back, the handling was spooky....it would step out in the back during mid corner bumps on the highway...and a lot of vibration in the steering wheel after you hit a bump. The car was bad at high speed...and bad at low speed.

I took it back...just got it back today....and it IS better....but there's still some of that "judder" after some bumps. I'm no stranger to stiff suspension--my daily driver to manhattan is a Lotus Elise with sport suspension--I just think that the RS6 should be absorbing the bumps better than it does.

The dealer did mention that the suspension would be stiffer...and the car does have aftermarket anti-roll bars....but I still don't feel happy...it was soooo terrific before....so much so that deciding which car I liked best (between the Audi and the Lotus) was a tough decision! Now, there's no contest. :( In the Lotus, you feel *every* bump, but once you are over the bump, that's it....no reverberation through the steering wheel until you hit the next one...

Anyway, if you are still reading....was wondering if anybody has experienced the same thing....if they were able to get this kinks dialed out of their system....and I'd even like to compare with somebody else....we can try each other's cars just to see....see if I'm crazy....or if I should give up on going to the dealer for a third time--cos I'm asking for something that is unobtainable...

Thanks for reading!
Wes

DHall1
November 22nd, 2009, 01:27
Did you search the last threads on the topic?

What is your ride height fr and rear?

Do you hear any clunks from the trunk area going over bumps?

Which parts were replaced exactly?

Did the dealer have the new special tool? The tool with the hand pump?

uncfrk
November 22nd, 2009, 02:16
Is there enough information from Audi to build the "special tool". I already have a new hand pump, milling machine, materials, etc. It could be sent around for members to use. I just got my car back from the re-re do. Ride height is perfect. The firmness is great. Handles like a dream. Not so comfortable on real rough roads. The real test is coming Monday as we head to North Carolina. 2,500 miles round trip.

draklleb
November 22nd, 2009, 15:25
I did look at the other threads....I had my service done at Audi of Greenwich...and Sal was involved...I had seen a message where there was a positive comment about him related to the DRC. That's part of why I want to compare with somebody...maybe I am asking for too much? It doesn't have to handle like my Lotus....but I think it should be better.

The ride height is good....even when I got the car back the first time, the ride height matched what was suggested on here. But, I don't know what parts were replaced...or if they used the special tool. I don't hear anything special from the trunk area....but I still feel judder through the wheel--after a bump....not as much as when I first got it back tho...

Uncfrk....how well does your car do on mid corner bumps?

DHall1
November 22nd, 2009, 15:50
Special tool is key.

Call them and ask if they have the tool with the hand pump?

If you have air trapped in the strut it could cause your symptoms.

There is no hint of jarring in my steering. Just firm rebound control over each tire. The way it should be.

Find another RS6 owner and drive another car.

But I feel that the call to the dealer is needed to verify the tool use.

I did look at the other threads....I had my service done at Audi of Greenwich...and Sal was involved...I had seen a message where there was a positive comment about him related to the DRC. That's part of why I want to compare with somebody...maybe I am asking for too much? It doesn't have to handle like my Lotus....but I think it should be better.

The ride height is good....even when I got the car back the first time, the ride height matched what was suggested on here. But, I don't know what parts were replaced...or if they used the special tool. I don't hear anything special from the trunk area....but I still feel judder through the wheel--after a bump....not as much as when I first got it back tho...

Uncfrk....how well does your car do on mid corner bumps?

uncfrk
December 1st, 2009, 17:52
My car was fine on our trip to North Carolina & back. Had some hard fun driving through parts of North Carolina, Boone to Elizabethton, Tennessee. It's a little hard too Know what to expect. I have little experience with this car. However, the way it works now, I'm not thinking of changing to after market.

Jimmy
December 1st, 2009, 19:12
Wes...you are welcome to come drive mine; I'm up in Manchester right off I-384.

....the new DRC is less than 6 months old on mine.

mmaturo
December 1st, 2009, 19:50
Your shudder sounds like to me (having had plenty of experience with it) your control arm bushings may be going, have them carefully check all front end bushings on links and upper/lower control arms. With everything now replaced on my front end the new DRC is working fine, just finished 2200 mile FL/Chicago trip in mine.