PDA

View Full Version : Suspension options?

GBG
November 20th, 2009, 03:08
I'm still not crazy about the "new" DRC set up. Car is a bit too high and suspension a bit to soft, so just considering what else is out there. What are my options for a stiffer suspension that will drop the car too? I did a few searches and came up with:

1. KW-- not cheap. Best price I cold find is $2500. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KW-V3-VARIANT-3-COILOVER-03-04-05-06-07-AUDI-RS6_W0QQitemZ200379759157QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea7907a35&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

2. H&R springs. Much cheaper (about $400 directly from H&R ) , but there appears to be some debate as to whether they are actually a good long term choice.

Any other opinions appreciated. Thanks. GBG

DHall1
November 20th, 2009, 03:13
Not really to fix your drop issue but...

You should think about Hotchkis sway bars. A big difference in overall stiffness and increased sway control.

V8weight
November 20th, 2009, 03:24
The KW's are worth every penny. It's fun to be able to fine tune both your ride height and characteristics to your own personal taste, not to mention never having to wonder when your suspension is going to blow out next.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/027-1-1.jpg

DHall1
November 20th, 2009, 03:29
Pat,

You would have to go post that picture again.

:looking:

I have to stick with my DRC/Hotchkis for the next 6 years.

V8weight
November 20th, 2009, 03:37
Pat,

You would have to go post that picture again.

:looking:

I have to stick with my DRC/Hotchkis for the next 6 years.
Ha, just for you:hihi: I think when I took this picture I had pulled over to dislodge a blade of grass stuck between my tire and fender.

DALLAS_RS6
November 20th, 2009, 05:16
Not really to fix your drop issue but...

You should think about Hotchkis sway bars. A big difference in overall stiffness and increased sway control.

I agree, I have the "New DRC" and felt it was to soft. I added Hotchkis sways (Thanks MaxRS6) and it stiffened the ride up considerably. I'm happy for now.

hahnmgh63
November 20th, 2009, 09:55
Another happy KW customer after a short lived no-love, only-hate relationship with a twice botched Audi DRC recall. I was going to do the KW's anyways, just wanted to make Audi pay. Surprisingly, the car can be lowered quite a bit without rubbing issues and still clear speedbumps.

RS6-4dr911
November 20th, 2009, 16:24
My $0.02, I subscribe to the suspension theory that says you've gone to considerable effort to make the suspension at each wheel independent from one another, why tie it all back together with a solid bar? I know, there's already a bar on there, but I would lean more heavily in the direction of stiffening the springs and shocks (i.e. KW's or H&R springs) for flatter cornering, not a beefy sway bar. No doubt it makes it corner flatter, on a smooth road. But you lose the benefit of independent suspension on a bumpy (real world) corner/off-ramp and also lose some ride comfort on a straight but bumpy road as well - a pothole endured by one side is now transferred to other side as well.

RS6Steve
November 20th, 2009, 19:41
Just fitted Bilstein B16's (PSS9) absolutely awesome handling now, I cannot describe the far superior abilities of the car now :-)

I should imagine the KW v3's are jsut as good and worth every penny (sorry dollar) it cost me. Was not a cheap option...

AUDI5000CSTQ
November 21st, 2009, 05:42
I have the pss9's and hotchkis. Handle great and adjustable.

GBG
November 25th, 2009, 16:31
Thanks guys, all very helpful.

If any of you have installed the HR springs, can you tell me if you would recommend them for dropping car/stiffening ride? (I'd prefer not to spend the $2500 plus installation for the KW v3s, but I think I'm headed in that direction unless the HR springs are truly a good fix.) Thanks

Spidercat
November 26th, 2009, 01:15
Thanks guys, all very helpful.

If any of you have installed the HR springs, can you tell me if you would recommend them for dropping car/stiffening ride? (I'd prefer not to spend the $2500 plus installation for the KW v3s, but I think I'm headed in that direction unless the HR springs are truly a good fix.) Thanks

GBG-
PM me if you want my H&R Sport Springs. I got them for my car, but the Audi dealer won't install any aftermarket parts (that's their prerogative, I guess), and the only other guy I let work on the car doesn't want to chance opening/messing up the DRC, so the brand-new springs are still in their original packaging sitting in my garage taking up space...
How's $150 plus actual shipping cost sound?
Lemme know. They need a good home...

vBob
November 26th, 2009, 19:51
that DRC suspension was an option outside of North America for C5 RS6. there was a traditional, non-DRC setup standard for C5 RS6 buyers. I have never heard of anybody mentioning about it lately especially after the DRC debacle surfaced. did Audi ever sold this setup?

RS6-4dr911
November 26th, 2009, 22:34
:vhmmm:You may be 100% correct. But you're the first person to ever mention such a thing, AFAIK. A fact check is in order. Anyone?

hahnmgh63
November 27th, 2009, 00:57
Never heard of it. I thought DRC was standard on all ROW RS6's too. No suspension options other than the RS6+ being something like 10mm lower than a regular RS6. The Audi ETKA doesn't show different parts being available that I know.

Born2be
November 27th, 2009, 02:57
Okay, newb question: would someting like the KW suspension replace or add to/supplement the DRC? Thanks.

W>

hahnmgh63
November 27th, 2009, 03:01
KW V3's are complete replacement for the DRC but not a supplement. In my opinion a much higher quality components than the DRC although the adjustability is wide, it is difficult to do if you want to change from the recommended pre-set settings which are very good already. They give you complete ride height adjustability and for prolonged agressive driving the shocks/struts have fluid resevoirs to keep from overheating them.

GBG
November 27th, 2009, 14:31
GBG-
PM me if you want my H&R Sport Springs. I got them for my car, but the Audi dealer won't install any aftermarket parts (that's their prerogative, I guess), and the only other guy I let work on the car doesn't want to chance opening/messing up the DRC, so the brand-new springs are still in their original packaging sitting in my garage taking up space...
How's $150 plus actual shipping cost sound?
Lemme know. They need a good home...

Spider,

Thanks for the nice price. I'm just still not sure if H&R springs is the way to go. What I decided to do is have my dealer look at the DRC just one more time to see if he can drop the car and stiffen the ride. (All work is under DRC warranty, so not costing me anything.) Assuming he cannot or will not, I then will decide whether to go H&R or spend the dough for the KWs. Thanks. GBG

DHall1
November 27th, 2009, 16:22
IMHO

Try the Hotchkis sway bars with your DRC. Then try to have the dealer release and retorque all the control arm bolts while the car is on all 4 wheels.

Spider,

Thanks for the nice price. I'm just still not sure if H&R springs is the way to go. What I decided to do is have my dealer look at the DRC just one more time to see if he can drop the car and stiffen the ride. (All work is under DRC warranty, so not costing me anything.) Assuming he cannot or will not, I then will decide whether to go H&R or spend the dough for the KWs. Thanks. GBG

GBG
November 28th, 2009, 00:00
Thanks Dave. I'm dropping off the car with the dealer on Monday and plan to discuss all of this with him. I'll post end result in a week or so...

DHall1
November 28th, 2009, 02:09
10-4.

Side note: Are you happy with the Revo? What is the going price for the flash and the select plus?

I will be installing my RNS-E tomorrow along with the Phaeton brake ducts. I think its time for Revo.

Thanks Dave. I'm dropping off the car with the dealer on Monday and plan to discuss all of this with him. I'll post end result in a week or so...

Spidercat
November 28th, 2009, 03:32
10-4.

Side note: Are you happy with the Revo? What is the going price for the flash and the select plus?

I will be installing my RNS-E tomorrow along with the Phaeton brake ducts. I think its time for Revo.

SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND!
END OF STORY.
PERIOD.

(Sorry, simply too good to pass up!) ;)

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=355

It's $699 + $349 for the SPS
There's always the free 30-day trial (but surely you'll be hooked by then- it's like automotive crack)
You should definitely get the select plus box with it. Especially you.
Don't know about GBG, but I love mine. Copper's ECU thread (yusta be a sticky) discusses the merits of the Revo ad nauseum.

DHall1
November 28th, 2009, 06:17
Not quite apples to apples.

The question was "How do you.."

The question was addressed to Greg. I know he has just installed his Revo and I thought some feedback would be nice.

The second point of "what is the going rate" is directed to the real street price for the Revo and select plus. Just because its listed for xyz price on the Revo site does not mean you will pay xyz at your local dealer.

So in the end, I feel legit questions directed to Greg with his recent purchase and upgrades.

But I can do the search is your friend too.

SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND!
END OF STORY.
PERIOD.

(Sorry, simply too good to pass up!) ;)

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=355

It's $699 + $349 for the SPS
There's always the free 30-day trial (but surely you'll be hooked by then- it's like automotive crack)
You should definitely get the select plus box with it. Especially you.
Don't know about GBG, but I love mine. Copper's ECU thread (yusta be a sticky) discusses the merits of the Revo ad nauseum.

Holiday
November 28th, 2009, 15:12
Oh come on Dhall, he was just making a joke... No need to explain yourself, just laugh.:0:

Not quite apples to apples.

The question was "How do you.."

The question was addressed to Greg. I know he has just installed his Revo and I thought some feedback would be nice.

The second point of "what is the going rate" is directed to the real street price for the Revo and select plus. Just because its listed for xyz price on the Revo site does not mean you will pay xyz at your local dealer.

So in the end, I feel legit questions directed to Greg with his recent purchase and upgrades.

But I can do the search is your friend too.

GBG
November 28th, 2009, 16:02
10-4.

Dave, I love the REVO. I notice a real difference going from about 40 mph to 80 mph. Seems much more powerful in that range. I didn't bother the select plus box. I paid the full $700. Don't know where you can get it for less. Definitely get it, worth the $$ imho. GBG